Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-22-2019, 10:30 AM   #1
cdthomer

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Variable valve timing solenoid

Howdy folks! I'm fairly certain I have an issue with my VVT solenoid. I was tightening the serpentine belt and must have hit it by accident because immediately after starting the car the CEL was on and the code it gave was P0010. This seems to be a common problem from what I've been reading.

Rock Auto has half a dozen or so by different manufacturers and I'm just wondering if anybody has any input on which one would be the best option? They've got:
  • Beck/Arnley
  • Standard Motor Products
  • Spectra Premium
  • Cardone
  • Gates
  • WVE/Airtex/Wells
They're all within $10 of each other but the only manufacturers I have experience with are Cardone and Gates, but with other kinds of products (belts, CV axles etc.).

So does anybody have input as to which manufacturer might be better/more reliable?
cdthomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:45 AM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
What you broke is the OCV (Oil Control Valve). I can't begin to tell you how many people have posted up here having broke it while prying on the alternator.

As far as replacement brands, can't comment. It is not an overly sophisticated part so I'd imagine almost anything on eBay, or whomever can get you the part fastest, would suffice.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2019, 11:14 AM   #3
cdthomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
What you broke is the OCV (Oil Control Valve). I can't begin to tell you how many people have posted up here having broke it while prying on the alternator.

As far as replacement brands, can't comment. It is not an overly sophisticated part so I'd imagine almost anything on eBay, or whomever can get you the part fastest, would suffice.

OCV is the same thing as the VVT solenoid I thought? Hmmm.... could you shed some more light for me please?
Old 01-22-2019, 11:20 AM   #4
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Afaik they are synonymous. Keep in mind you may have issues getting the old one out of the head. If that happens the worst case scenario is you can take off the valve cover and use a punch to push it out from the inside. Take more time but saves you from a trip to the mechanic.

When pulling it out from the outside it often comes apart and then you dont really have much the pull on anymore, just an fyi
Old 01-22-2019, 11:36 AM   #5
cdthomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Afaik they are synonymous. Keep in mind you may have issues getting the old one out of the head. If that happens the worst case scenario is you can take off the valve cover and use a punch to push it out from the inside. Take more time but saves you from a trip to the mechanic.

When pulling it out from the outside it often comes apart and then you dont really have much the pull on anymore, just an fyi
Thanks for the info and the tip, hopefully that's not the case but now if it happens at least I won't have an "oh crap" moment haha.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:19 PM   #6
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post

huh. i'll have to look for this. i wonder how people are leveraging the belt. i am so trained to pry from the block i don't even know what is in the way.HA!
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:51 AM   #7
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdthomer View Post
OCV is the same thing as the VVT solenoid I thought? Hmmm.... could you shed some more light for me please?
Toyota call it the Oil Control Valve. Same thing. I'd probably get the OEM part from the dealer if mine broke or maybe get one from the scrapyard.
Old 02-03-2019, 05:23 PM   #8
Spellino

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdthomer View Post
Howdy folks! I'm fairly certain I have an issue with my VVT solenoid. I was tightening the serpentine belt and must have hit it by accident because immediately after starting the car the CEL was on and the code it gave was P0010. This seems to be a common problem from what I've been reading.

Rock Auto has half a dozen or so by different manufacturers and I'm just wondering if anybody has any input on which one would be the best option? They've got:
  • Beck/Arnley
  • Standard Motor Products
  • Spectra Premium
  • Cardone
  • Gates
  • WVE/Airtex/Wells
They're all within $10 of each other but the only manufacturers I have experience with are Cardone and Gates, but with other kinds of products (belts, CV axles etc.).

So does anybody have input as to which manufacturer might be better/more reliable?

I replaced mine since in July last year. Not had a problem with it since. Got it from Aliexpress.

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/hT1Im64
Spellino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 05:42 AM   #9
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Serpentine belt adjustment, tensioning Mind of Toyota

Toyota manual says prybar-be-careful for belt adjust. I say 13 (14?) inch Chanelock pliers...1 jaw on alternator top bracket, other jaw on alternator's upper bolt boss.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote