Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-10-2007, 09:46 AM   #1
roxy84

Drives: 07 black yaris 5 speed lb
so close, cant decide

im so close to trading my corolla for the yaris. however, to make myself feel ok about doing it (since the corolla gets at least equal mpg, has more power and torque, cruise, nicer interior, quieter ride, etc...). my options are:

1)yaris hatch with conv. package and side/curtain airbags
-advantage over corolla, better side crash test result, compared to my corolla which has no side airbags, abs brakes, looks much nicer imo, some versatility w/hatch but no split/fold flat rear seat

2)yaris hatch w/power package, so it has the split/fold flat rear seats but no side airbags
advantage over corolla, power windows(only locks in corolla), more hatch versatility with the split/fold flat seats. looks.

--the power package with side airbags and abs is too pricey imo for this car, so that variation is out

so, i could make a case for "upgrading" from the corolla in some ways.

so, you guys without the side airbags, do you worry about it every day? or do you just go about your business. ive read that the chances of getting hit on the drivers side are about 1 in 270,000. so, its likely it will never happen to most of us, but we all know it happens. of course if its a 4000 pound suv at 60+ mph, that airbag will not be saving anyone.

a final question for those of you with the split rear seat. does it really fold flat? ive fiddled with them at the dealers and couldnt get them flat at all, barely moreso than the single bench seat. the sales guy said "thats as flat as they go".

if you had to choose, power package or side airbags and abs (not both) which would it be. sadly, i know our canadian friend did not have a sab opption, but did get the %#@&*%# four door
roxy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:52 AM   #2
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
I have a conv pack, no abs, no power; just a mp3 player and 15in wheels are the upgrades... I don't worry much about not having side air bags at all... If you are going to get T-boned it is going to be because someone ran a red light and you jumped a green. Plus with those side air bags your cars will be more likly to be totaled out in an accident, and insurace rates would go up
Old 04-10-2007, 10:05 AM   #3
the_boss

Drives: 07 YARIS HATCH 5 DOOR
Send a message via MSN to the_boss
I wouln't take any! no ABS no Side air bags....as plain as possible! more room for upgrades later
the_boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:09 AM   #4
Slummy

Drives: Black LB
I got the ABS/Airbag pkg. Only for the ABS, hopefully I'll never need the Airbags.
Slummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:18 AM   #5
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Screw ABS... I hate it, for those of you who do any kind of racing you hate it too
Old 04-10-2007, 11:21 AM   #6
roxy84

so, do those 60/40 rear seat really go flat, and flush with the trunk floor. this would give a bit of extra capability, especially since the bench seats fold to an angle, but is also higher up than the trunk floor. so, a truly flat flush seat would add capacity. (also would be better for my 2 dogs, who now reside in/on/around my back seat.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:24 AM   #7
Black Yaris
der Zeck

the rear bench folds pretty flat, where you at in MI roxy?
Old 04-10-2007, 11:34 AM   #8
roxy84

im in southwest michigan, just north of the south bend, in area.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:35 AM   #9
boris13

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback, 5-speed
The rear bench does not fold flat at all. There is a "break" and a "bump" with that seat. Why is it even offered? All Yarises should come with the 60/40 split seat, which indeed folds flat (a must if you have big dogs). However, to get the 60/40 seat, you must order the power package.
boris13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:55 AM   #10
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
I love my 60/40 split seats! I wish I had side airbags though!
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:55 AM   #11
Black Yaris
der Zeck

just wait till there is one in a salvage yard and yank the back seats, problem solved
Old 04-10-2007, 12:21 PM   #12
AustinYaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Manual
also... i don't know if you were going to do this or not, but don't trade your car into the dealer. you'll get about 25% more for your car if you sell it on your own.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:53 PM   #13
deebrown

Drives: Sedan
power package

I'd go with the power package and then get keyless entry at either best buy or circuit city (they'll do it for about 120, which is half the price the dealer will charge) - being from wisconsin (relatively the same weather), it sucks to be trying to get into your car on a very cold winter night without keyless...
deebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 02:29 PM   #14
MrMondayNite

Drives: 07 Yaris LB
Don't most power packages come with the keyless entry system? Also I don't have side air bags and no I do not think about getting hit in the side.
04 BMW 330 XI (Traded in)
03 VW Jetta GLX VR6 (gave to Dad)
01 Civic EX (gave to Mom)
MrMondayNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 03:08 PM   #15
deebrown

Drives: Sedan
keyless

"Don't most power packages come with the keyless entry system?"

No, the power package in the USA does not come with keyless - I believe it cost an extra $230 to get it installed via the dealer.
deebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:24 PM   #16
roxy84

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinYaris View Post
also... i don't know if you were going to do this or not, but don't trade your car into the dealer. you'll get about 25% more for your car if you sell it on your own.

normally, i would absolutely agree, but they are offering $12400 on my 2005 corolla ce with 21000 miles, which would be a fair private party value on this car. Heck, with the current rebate on corollas, you can get a new one for little more than that. additionally they are selling the yaris at exactly $200 over invoice.

im just struggling with the lack of side airbags, even though my corolla without side airbags also does poorly on th IIHS side crash. however, i know within 1 week i would regret not having the split seats. the power i could do without, but to get the seats there is no other way.

i also worry a bit as im a single guy and the corolla seems a good compromise of comfort and gas mileage. its pretty good for longer trips. anyone have the yaris as their primary/only car? and take ocassional long trips?

obviously im not worried of what others think about what i drive or i wouldnt be driving a corolla. i could spend more but my wants are small car with good mileage/decent looks. i admit the corolla looks bland. on the other hand, i see 12 year old bland looking corollas still on the road and i think their blandness keeps them from looking too out of place after many years on the road (if that makes sense)
will the yaris hatchback look out of olace in 10 years?? i know, its hard to say.

Last edited by roxy84; 04-10-2007 at 04:34 PM. Reason: addition
Old 04-10-2007, 05:07 PM   #17
AustinYaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Manual
that definitely is a good trade in price. i'm surprised.

it seems like a decision between your left and right brain. you'll have to decide how much value you place on how much better you'll feel because you have a cool looking Yaris vs. a bland Corolla.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:10 PM   #18
wagoneer

Drives: 07 Liftback - Red
I'm pretty sure if I owned a 2005 Corolla with a 5 speed, I would just keep it and drive the piss out of it.

Going from an SUV or a big car to a Yaris is one thing. Or going from an older car.

But from an 05' Corrolla to a 07 Yaris? I wouldn't.

Tachometer installed
Mudguards installed
Rear Bumper Guard installed

FUTURE = Fog Lights, arm rest, RS spoiler, cruise, black 17" wheels
wagoneer is offline   Reply With Quote