Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-30-2007, 11:34 AM   #1
partenac

Drives: 2007 Yaris
HELP WITH NEW 2007 PROBLEMS

I bought a new 2007 hatchback Yaris 2 days ago and I have the following 2 problems:

1. The paint feel rough, similar to sandpaper. This is only present on the sides and top surfaces of the car. On non-exposed surfaces like around the bottom of the car it feels smooth and glossy, like glass. Is this normal? Was a clear coat never applied to the majority of the car or is this some sort of overspray? I was thinking about getting a clay magic bar to see if it would removie it but wanted a second opinion first.

2. While driving the car (it's an automatic), it feel like the car is braking while coasting. My fiance noticed it at first. When the accelerator is being depressed, the car moves at a steady pace. When you take your foot off the pedal the car will coast for a few seconds and then it feels like there's a slight braking feeling. Is this the gear being shifted that I'm feeling or something else?

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Is this a cause to go back to the dealer and complain?
partenac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 11:41 AM   #2
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
First, congrats on your new Yaris!

On problem #1 - take it to the dealership. The paint should be smooth and glossy on all surfaces. There is a protective coating that is thick and bumpy and should have been removed at the dealership.

On problem #2 - that is called DFCO and it is actually cutting gas to your engine when coasting. Search for DFCO and read all about it.

Welcome to Yarisworld!
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 11:43 AM   #3
Nutzoids

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
No 1) Might be Rail Dust (From the way they Transport the car, A good wash with one of those Bug Clay Bars should take care of it)

No 2) Check out this Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...highlight=DFCO

Should be this!

Hope this helps!

Nutzoids... Where Punk rock is less about Image, and more about the Mind!
Nutzoids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 11:43 AM   #4
Carvin'07
Selling all mods

Drives: '07 Bayou Blue - totally stock
1st item is likely some road debris, or a paint/clearcoat application problem. Take it back to the dealer and request that they re-finish the car properly.

2nd item is likely DFCO = deceleration fuel cut-off that is a fuel saving feature that (allegedly) shuts off the injectors when decelerating.

edit: arrgh - ignore me...the other posts did not show up until after I was done typing mine...
Carvin'07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 11:47 AM   #5
falkor_99

Drives: 07 Yaris Blue HB
Send a message via AIM to falkor_99
On the second question I totally know what your talking about. I'll be on the freeway and let off the gas and all of a sudden the car just looses speed, really strange. I didn't know there was a thread about this. So thats cool.
falkor_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 11:49 AM   #6
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
Hahahaha... 3 replies all at the same time!
Old 05-30-2007, 12:00 PM   #7
partenac

Thanks for the advice. It seems the general consensus is that the paint issue can be fixed at the dealer and that the second problem is actually an intended function. It just seems strange since I've never had this before on other cars and apparently the fuel cutoff function has been around a while.

Is the dealer going to charge me some sort of cost to fix the paint issue? A lot of places use the word "warranty" but still find a way to exclude certain things and make you pay for labor anyway.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:05 PM   #8
partenac

Okay, not to beat a dead horse here, but I read the thread mentioned above and it says, "AT can only achieve DFCO with a gear selection lower than D (overDrive), i.e. 3 or L." I know for a fact the the gear selection was D (not 3, 2, or L) and I could feel a slight braking feeling after coasting for several seconds.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:00 PM   #9
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
Well I think it means in any gear lower than 4th. In other words if you are slowing down with the transmission in "D" and your car drops from 4th to 3rd, DFCO will take over and you will feel even more engine braking.
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 03:30 PM   #10
BlueFlash
wa do dem

Drives: 2007 blue Lb
90% of car manufactures dont us a clear coat any more its a mixed paint spraid with the base and clear togather and ive noticed the 07s paint is shitty it doesnt hold up im very disapointed with it, my car scrathes easy the paint is weak
Old 05-30-2007, 03:43 PM   #11
partenac

If the ENTIRE car had the same rough paint feel to it, I could understand the explanation that the manufacturers are cutting costs by doing a cheap paint job and not using a clear coat. My deal is that the bottom regions of the car feel smooth as if they have the clear coat and the sides and top of the car feel rough. Shouldn't it be all rough or all smooth?
Old 05-30-2007, 06:58 PM   #12
BlueFlash
wa do dem

Drives: 2007 blue Lb
yes, it could be road wear or gunk try bug remover if that fails try buffing compound in an unvisible spot in a small section
Old 05-30-2007, 08:49 PM   #13
hystria

Drives: 2007 Orange Yaris Hb 3Drs
Quote:
Originally Posted by partenac View Post
Is the dealer going to charge me some sort of cost to fix the paint issue? A lot of places use the word "warranty" but still find a way to exclude certain things and make you pay for labor anyway.
I would suggest the car has been scraped during transportation then repainted.
hystria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 10:59 PM   #14
ricky2k1

Drives: Black YARIS RS
its not cheap paint job, it's just fallout.
the dealership should of removed it beforing delivering it
u should bring it back or wash & claybar (or take to a detailer)
ricky2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:25 AM   #15
partenac

Thanks guys! I ordered a clay bar kit from clay magic 2 days ago so I'll try that when it arrives. I tried calling the dealership's service department and they tried to tell me that what I described with the paint is totally normal. When I tried another Toyota dealership and described the same situation, they told me that it was NOT normal. A repaint was also suggested as a possible culprit. If worse comes to worse, how much of a case do I have? My feelings are that if I buy a NEW car, everything should be in new condition, not repainted or victim of fallout.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:06 PM   #16
RogueYaris

Drives: 2015 Abs Red
Go with the dealership that said it was a problem. try remembering the name of the person you dealt with specifically and then deal soley with them. Try taking the car there and having them check it out. If it was a messup on the assembly line, you may have a case for a new paint job.
RogueYaris is offline   Reply With Quote