Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 06-18-2015, 04:58 AM   #1
Silver13

Drives: 2013 HB
*2015* What struts are available now?

I have been searching through the forum and a few others and most posts are a few years old. I saw that Tokico "blues" are discontinued and that there really are not to many options left for struts. I believe I saw that Tokico HTS are an option. I am not looking for a oem replacement as my car only has 15k on it. I do a lot of spirited, auto x, and long distance driving. Just wanting to build a good set up. I am thinking of H&R springs but was not sure which struts to use.I see that TRD makes some but I am skeptical to believe they are any different than KYB. If there are any knowledgeable people left in the forum who could help guide me with what options are left that would be great. I am in not rush for purchasing. All depends on what is available.
Silver13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:20 PM   #2
justjesus

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Do you have something against coilovers? You still have options with those. The TRDs are a rebadged item, though I forget if it's KYB, or Tokico.

I was happy with the Blues, but replaced them with the HTS and love them. At almost full stiff, they are great, even with stock springs! At near full soft, they are more comfortable than stock. They're still being sold, but they're kind of pricey. I do have the intention of removing mine in the near future, as I'm looking to go with a completely custom set-up.
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 01:12 PM   #3
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjesus View Post
Do you have something against coilovers? You still have options with those. The TRDs are a rebadged item, though I forget if it's KYB, or Tokico.

I was happy with the Blues, but replaced them with the HTS and love them. At almost full stiff, they are great, even with stock springs! At near full soft, they are more comfortable than stock. They're still being sold, but they're kind of pricey. I do have the intention of removing mine in the near future, as I'm looking to go with a completely custom set-up.
Noticed you're from OC. Do you do the suspension work yourself, or have a shop you'd recommend? I'm shopping springs and a shop to install them...
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 02:11 PM   #4
justjesus

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Yup, i've done the suspension swaps myself. I've used Pep Boys for their press on occasion, but straight forward swaps, i do myself.

Just need an assortment of hand tools, and I "rent/borrow" the spring compressor from O'Reilley.

Oh, and take it to alignment shop when done. :)

Where you at? What kind of experience you have working on cars?
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:55 PM   #5
Silver13

Drives: 2013 HB
I have nothing against coilovers as I have had a few cars prior with them. I picked up the 2013 yaris for gas mileage and because I wanted a minimal small hatch. I have already purchased the trd rear sway bar and was trying to figure out what shocks I would like to go with. I believe I may go with the HTS and H&R springs but I want to make sure the valving and spring rates match. This is a daily driven car that gets around 30k a year on it.
Silver13 is offline   Reply With Quote