Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-02-2017, 04:08 PM   #1
theb

Drives: yaris
Yaris 07 oil type

I have Yaris 2007 and been using Shell 5w30 since I had my car. Yesterday I went to my local shop where I've been customer for 8 years. They don't sell this type of oil any more and they offered me Klondike 5w30 Synthetic.

I asked the guy if switching to this one will have any issues or problems he of course said no so I bought it.

Thought about it and said it's probably better to check with somebody if I should do this or not.

Called Shell customer service to ask them where here in Vancouver, BC can i buy their oil and it was a pain because the guy was from Houston TX and had not much idea where Vancouver BC is. I told him well I called the number that is listed on Shell.ca and he replied that they cover Canada as well. Anyways he couldn't help.

Called Toyota customer service, lady was doing her best to help for about 15 minutes putting me on hold to check with managers and technicians. Came with the answer that any 5w30 would be fine. After asking her about the synthetic oil she paused (she probably had no clue what to answer me about this) but was probably tired checking with her managers etc. After all she apologized for not being able to get me the right advice.

She did say to take old can and go to local Toyota dealer and they will able to help me. ( Not a bad idea but... I just need to buy some motor oil????)

Called my local store where I purchased Klondike oil. Told him about potential issue switching to synthetic oil and not having possibility to go back to Shell oil. He said I am not sure that a car engine would be able to tell the difference between synthetic and non synthetic oil.

Any advice from here?
theb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
car, oil