Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-02-2012, 08:29 PM   #1
YodaBird

Drives: Gray
Squeek when Breaking on 2012

I took my 2012 for an Oil Change (1500 Km) one of the dealers told me, I don't need to it's too early, I did it anyhow, it was free. I also mentioned something that has been going on for a few months, whenever the car breaks there is a little squeak, even slightly breaking, at the Toyota Repair the guy said the breaks are fine, it's still new, the other guy told me, because it's new you have to give it time, if the squeak continues come in a month, all they did was look under the car, they didn't even drive it and said they couldn't find the "squeak". The squeak can vary from a slight squeak to a louder squeak to sometimes no squeak at all.

Then I came across this thread, it wouldn't relate to the squeek I'm having would it ? Why is a new car getting Squeaks, weather or drying out play a part ?
YodaBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:18 PM   #2
DanMC

Drives: 2012 Toyota Yaris
Buddy, we also own a '12 Yaris and no squeks...i would have the dealer dissasemble the breaks and then reinstall and see if that squek is still there.I would look closely at the rotors/drums (if you own the L or LE) and then the pads...maybe during the manufacturing process something course got molded in the pads/shoes.
Dan

P.S. It is NOT normal for a new car to have squeky breaks...no way !, if they BS you tell them you will call the dealer principal/owner....call Toyota Canada,...or even Market Place...the tv show...you wanna see them fix your car fast !
DanMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:58 PM   #3
YodaBird

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMC View Post
Buddy, we also own a '12 Yaris and no squeks...i would have the dealer dissasemble the breaks and then reinstall and see if that squek is still there.I would look closely at the rotors/drums (if you own the L or LE) and then the pads...maybe during the manufacturing process something course got molded in the pads/shoes.
Dan

P.S. It is NOT normal for a new car to have squeky breaks...no way !, if they BS you tell them you will call the dealer principal/owner....call Toyota Canada,...or even Market Place...the tv show...you wanna see them fix your car fast !
It seems abnormal. The car is not even a year old. The squeek has been going on for over a month and half, recently became worse when braking. I assume they should be fixing this for free.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:07 PM   #4
YodaBird

This is an update.
The squeak does not happen when braking, the squeak happens when the car is stopped and the body of the car, goes back a little after it's in motion, inertia ?
Old 11-03-2012, 10:02 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by YodaBird View Post
This is an update.
The squeak does not happen when braking, the squeak happens when the car is stopped and the body of the car, goes back a little after it's in motion, inertia ?
My 09 did that at one point. It was most noticeable if you set the ebrake and then had a passenger enter or exit a rear door. In my case it was one of the springs that would do it when moving against the perch. I hit it with a little squirt of silicone oil and it has never come back.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:17 AM   #6
YodaBird

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
My 09 did that at one point. It was most noticeable if you set the ebrake and then had a passenger enter or exit a rear door. In my case it was one of the springs that would do it when moving against the perch. I hit it with a little squirt of silicone oil and it has never come back.
I have never set the eBrake, how do I remove the squeak, sometimes it louder then other times, sometimes it's not at all.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:21 AM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
I have never set the eBrake, how do I remove the squeak, sometimes it louder then other times, sometimes it's not at all.
First off, you have to figure out exactly where it is coming from. to see if it is the same thing I mentioned, you can try putting the ebrake on and then either bouncing on the edge of the rear seat with the door open, or if it is a 3 door, rather than 5, opening the hatch and bouncing back there.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #8
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
+1 on the rear springs. That's what it is on my car. Really noticable when a rear passenger exits the vehicle, but there non-the-less.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:23 AM   #9
YodaBird

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
+1 on the rear springs. That's what it is on my car. Really noticable when a rear passenger exits the vehicle, but there non-the-less.
If I give the ebrake a try and that still doesn't solve the squeak, where would I find it ? My theory is it needs a little oil to slip, as of lately it's not loud.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:20 AM   #10
YodaBird

New news. I saw another 2012 Yaris owner and I asked her if she gets the squeak in her car, she didn't know as much about cars as I did, I could tell and I don't know alot :) Anyhow she said the squeak started two weeks after buying the car, mine didn't start for over three months, she said it's normal, I'm not going to take her knowledge as the gospel truth, further investigation is needed.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:31 PM   #11
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
she said it's normal
...and she would be correct.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:45 PM   #12
YodaBird

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
...and she would be correct.
How is she correct ? When CTScott said it could be solved from what I read from it.