Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-08-2012, 01:28 AM   #1
mario98c

Drives: Toyota Yaris Sedan 09 STD
Exclamation Yaris Tranny Oil Question.

Hi!
I replaced the transmission oil in my Yaris with Redline 75w90 GL-5 Gear Oil. I start looking in the internet about that oil an it says it is for differentials. lol The transmission shifts fine but I'm a little concern about this! I don't want to f*ck up my tranny. The owner's manual says that the transmission oil should be 75w90 API GL-4 or GL-5. Should I replace the oil or there is no problem using that oil?
Old 12-08-2012, 01:44 AM   #2
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
you should be fine with it. there are plenty of folks that have used the redline stuff, royal purple, mobil 1, AMSOIL, etc without issue. many of these types of lubricants are made to be used in various applications hence the reason why they meet certain standards like GL-4 and 5.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:40 AM   #3
alfredyeez

Drives: Yaris Sedan
The right oil from Redline is MT90 75W90 GL4.

The additives in a GL5 oil will corrode yellow metal (brass/copper) components in the tranny.
alfredyeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:49 AM   #4
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
^where did you get that info from?

From what I seem you should be ok I have heard of people putting it without problems and they been using it for 2 years.
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:53 PM   #5
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
The additives in a GL5 oil will corrode yellow metal (brass/copper) components in the tranny.
Quote:
The owner's manual says that the transmission oil should be 75w90 API GL-4 or GL-5.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:47 AM   #6
mario98c

Old 12-18-2012, 11:05 AM   #7
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
" The right oil from Redline is MT90 75W90 GL4. "

+1 . Used it in a '08 3 door . The shifting became much smoother ( less notchy , grinding ) and no clunk into reverse .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:48 AM   #8
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
Quote:
It's possible for a manufacturer to get it wrong with recommendations.

I'm aware that SOME GL-5s work fine. But that was not my experience in my 89 4wd V6 truck. From the time I bought it in 95, I was experiencing extremely hard shifting. I assumed the synchros had nearly completely worn out. Soon after buying it, I replaced all the gear oil, but used GL-5 (I don't remember which one) in everything. After several years of continuing hard shifting, I either read or heard from someone about GL-4 working better in the manual trannys and I gave it a try. NIGHT and DAY. The transmission immediately began shifting smoothly, for the first time since I owned it. It finally worked as a transmission should. Before I could NEVER shift into first if moving even slightly, and even downshifting to second was troublesome, but with the GL-4 it went into first fairly easily and downshifted into second like butta.

What makes a GL-5 a GL-5 is the addition of EP (extreme pressure) additives. They are needed to protect the differential gears which experience a lot of sliding force. I guess depending on how much or what type of these are used in a GL-5, it can cause the synchros in the tranny to slip too much, leading to hard shifting. This apparently is not the case with all GL-5s, but it most assuredly is the case with SOME of them.
----http://www.yotatech.com/f116/gl-4-vs-gl-5-a-201741/

http://yarisworld.com/forums/showthr...ht=GL-4&page=3
http://www.widman.biz/uploads/Transaxle_oil.pdf -- *how it eats the brass
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=2425461

From what I read here and others is that GL-5 is not good for synchros because of two things, it eats away at the brass and might be "too" slippery for trannys. The reason why it might be too slippery for trannyes is that GL-5 can also be used in differentials which means it has extra additves specific to diffs.

I thought the concensus here was that GL-4 was best because it actually felt better than GL-5 for the reason of the slippery factor. Concensus being threads I've read that have popped up over the years-- search, you'll see them.

A minor explanation for GL-4/GL-5 being stated in the yaris manual could be that it's hard to locate GL-4 in the states for some reason. Then again the manual doesn't state "Use GL-5 if i GL-4 is not available" it just says you can use either.

If you have GL-5 in there just try it. GL-4 vs GL-5 has been around as long as the Dino vs Synthetic debate has been. Personally I would go with GL-4...because of the consensus here...which some of you seem to not remember and quick search would have reminded you (I'm just say'n).
Old 12-18-2012, 06:08 PM   #9
mario98c

:/ I will change the oil to redline mt-90 just for precaution. Thanks guys!
Old 12-18-2012, 07:09 PM   #10
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario98c View Post
Mario do you believe everything you read?
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gear oil, oil, transmission, yaris