Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-27-2015, 09:43 AM   #1
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Audi Sales Drop Off A Cliff In China

Sales of Audis in China have increased by 100,000 units a year since about 2011. But Last year they fell from ~400,000 to ~100,000.

Could this signal the long hoped for collapse of the Chinese economy?

Or is there some other explaination?
Old 05-27-2015, 11:51 AM   #2
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Could this signal the long hoped for collapse of the Chinese economy?
Let's hope not. The U.S. can’t afford a Chinese economic collapse.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 02:04 PM   #3
bronsin

How would that affect us? What connections do we have to them?

Could the decline in Audi sales have another explaination?

The current Chinese admisistration seems pretty hostile. I would hate to see what happened to us if their prosperity continues...
Old 05-27-2015, 02:11 PM   #4
bronsin

Wait a minute.

I thought I read that the other day in the WSJ but a quick google of Audi sales in China show they are growing not declining.

My bad.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:50 PM   #5
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
How would that affect us? What connections do we have to them?

Could the decline in Audi sales have another explaination?

The current Chinese admisistration seems pretty hostile. I would hate to see what happened to us if their prosperity continues...
What connection?

Other than that we get most of our goods from them.

And that they are our biggest foreign lender.

There's more "connection" economically between us and China than any other two countries. For better or worse.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 06:05 AM   #6
bronsin

Economic connections as suggested by kimona which if disrupted would lead to our own own severe economic problems.

While the Chinese may have switched to a capitalistic form of economy their government reamains Communist. Thus they only allow what they want to become known and commented upon, which leads to problems becoming to large to deal with over time and collapse inevitably.
Old 06-06-2015, 04:14 PM   #7
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Economic connections as suggested by kimona which if disrupted would lead to our own own severe economic problems.

While the Chinese may have switched to a capitalistic form of economy their government reamains Communist. Thus they only allow what they want to become known and commented upon, which leads to problems becoming to large to deal with over time and collapse inevitably.
I have mixed feelings about China.

Our government often s**ks, but thank goodness we have the right to criticize our government. The hotels I've stayed in in China have had little placards reminding guests, in English, that criticizing the government isn't allowed. Other things...thinking human rights violations....bother me as well.

On the other hand, the person I love the most in this world (my little cousin) was born in a field in China, left in a basket on the doorstep of the closest Social Welfare Institute, and then...one year to the day the SWI assigned to her as a birthday...adopted by my cousin. The joy her life brings to those of us who love her is immeasurable.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:16 AM   #8
bronsin

China supports and encourages N Korea. They claim parts of the ocean, that by any reasonable interpretation of international law, belongs to five other countries.

They are the direct heirs to the legacy of Hitler and Stalin.

War with them is inevitable. Or, if things continue as they have under our current President, we will be absorbed by them.

It would be a lot better for us for their economy to implode. Less chance of a war that way that we cant win. As it is, they are biding their time, believing their position is so strong that they are destined to win sometime in the future.

Life is complicated and no one can see all outcomes.

But whatever happens its gonna be a m@#$%^&*()_+ !
Old 06-07-2015, 03:55 PM   #9
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
China supports and encourages N Korea. They claim parts of the ocean, that by any reasonable interpretation of international law, belongs to five other countries.

War with them is inevitable. Or, if things continue as they have under our current President, we will be absorbed by them.

It would be a lot better for us for their economy to implode. Less chance of a war that way that we cant win. As it is, they are biding their time, believing their position is so strong that they are destined to win sometime in the future.

I completely agree re all of these points. My little cousin, and beautiful scenery I still want to see in China, are the things on the other side of the ledger. The only positive Chinese government policies that touch me, are the ones re adoption. Are there any others?

One of your earlier posts on this thread reminded me of when our current POTUS complimented the Chinese government on their ability to control their citizens (unfortunately, I can't find a link for this on the web, but I remember SMH when it happened).
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:58 PM   #10
Lux

Drives: NCP91
Quote:

Not to be rude, mate, but it sounds like you're somewhat of a war-monger, either encouraging armed conflict or preparing for one that will not soon happen.

I don't know about anyone else, here, but I am not one for war. The heightened tension of complete and utter nuclear self-annihilation during the Russian Cold War was enough.

The Chinese economy will not implode. It's not possible. 'Why?' Because, instead of producing-- for decades-- missiles, polymer firearms, and $150'000'000 military aircraft like the United States of America, they've produced cookware, rugs, clothing, furniture, tractors, raw materials, and food for Pakistan, India, Russia, Afghanistan, Kazakhstan, Japan, the Koreas, Thailand, Malaysia, Australia, Brazil, and countless others. Including yourself.

To wish for a Chinese demise is to wish for your own.

And, let's say, hypothetically, that China wanted to engage in armed conflict with a belligerent such as the USA. Who do you think the rest of the world is going to stand behind? A nation who exports the products of impossibly expensive defence contractors, or a nation who exports affordable consumer goods necessary for survival? It doesn't matter how intimidating-- whether real or fictional-- the Americans can present themselves, they cannot support an entire planet like China has for the last 25+ years.

And such a war will be short-lived because the USA does not have the political power to endure it, which is fueled by crude oil reserves, because they have none. China is the world's most powerful buyer of energy, by far. Heck, your biggest crude oil import is from Canada, which makes up 23.73% of all the petroleum you have. Saudi Arabia is far, far, FAR more inclined to sell crude oil to China than to the United States of America because of the Chinese trade surplus from decades of consumer export, as well as a wealth of natural resources, and, on top of which, being the world's leading producer of aluminium and other industrial alloys.

You didn't think that American high-tech weapons and military vehicles were made of American alloys, did you? China sold you the materials.

To label the Chinese as Adolf Hitler or Joseph Stalin is a generalisation. Being a successful and intelligently industrialising foreign nation does not mean being a political enemy.

By the way, Audi are garbage. They've been nothing but garbage since the '90s by their absolute mechanical merits. Same goes with their Volkswagen parent company.
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:09 AM   #11
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
Not to be rude, mate, but it sounds like you're somewhat of a war-monger, either encouraging armed conflict or preparing for one that will not soon happen.

I don't know about anyone else, here, but I am not one for war. The heightened tension of complete and utter nuclear self-annihilation during the Russian Cold War was enough.

The Chinese economy will not implode. It's not possible. 'Why?' Because, instead of producing-- for decades-- missiles, polymer firearms, and $150'000'000 military aircraft like the United States of America, they've produced cookware, rugs, clothing, furniture, tractors, raw materials, and food for Pakistan, India, Russia, Afghanistan, Kazakhstan, Japan, the Koreas, Thailand, Malaysia, Australia, Brazil, and countless others. Including yourself.

To wish for a Chinese demise is to wish for your own.

And, let's say, hypothetically, that China wanted to engage in armed conflict with a belligerent such as the USA. Who do you think the rest of the world is going to stand behind? A nation who exports the products of impossibly expensive defence contractors, or a nation who exports affordable consumer goods necessary for survival? It doesn't matter how intimidating-- whether real or fictional-- the Americans can present themselves, they cannot support an entire planet like China has for the last 25+ years.

And such a war will be short-lived because the USA does not have the political power to endure it, which is fueled by crude oil reserves, because they have none. China is the world's most powerful buyer of energy, by far. Heck, your biggest crude oil import is from Canada, which makes up 23.73% of all the petroleum you have. Saudi Arabia is far, far, FAR more inclined to sell crude oil to China than to the United States of America because of the Chinese trade surplus from decades of consumer export, as well as a wealth of natural resources, and, on top of which, being the world's leading producer of aluminium and other industrial alloys.

You didn't think that American high-tech weapons and military vehicles were made of American alloys, did you? China sold you the materials.

To label the Chinese as Adolf Hitler or Joseph Stalin is a generalisation. Being a successful and intelligently industrialising foreign nation does not mean being a political enemy.

By the way, Audi are garbage. They've been nothing but garbage since the '90s by their absolute mechanical merits. Same goes with their Volkswagen parent company.
Wow no need to worry about my well being mate since you got me just about all wrong. I think we agree to a great degree, actually.

We are all in competition with each other, like it or not. And in many cases that competition is to the death, like it or not. It would be better and wiser for us to look at ways in which we can coexist peacefully but we are all born as chips of wood upon a rageing river whose course we have little control over. Look in history at two nations like China and the US in siniliar adversarial situations and tell me...did they end up learning to "get along" or did they eventually come to blows? And note I said we might not actually come to blows with China but little by little, become enslaved to their wishes economically.

One thing in favor of us coexisting is nuclear weapons. With conventional ones the rich and powerful have little chance of dying in a war. With nukes everybody either dies or has a serious change in lifestyle.