Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-18-2008, 04:28 PM   #19
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
wish i could run this but i'm planning on turboing later
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 04:31 PM   #20
pickledchang

Drives: 08 Scion xD
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchbackkid82 View Post
HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?HOW MUCH?
...um... if you read the first post, you can see where he states it will be near $550. too bad im probably going to be out of cash from the manifold as well when/if he releases this for the xD. those are some seriously nice gains though, especially in the torque curve, good gains start around 3k rpms, i like :)
pickledchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:06 PM   #21
blacksandiegovitz
Your mom goes to college

Drives: 08 Vitz
So this will be sold with a mid-pipe that will bolt up to aftermarket or stock axle-backs right ? Is there any dyno pulls with a yaris running the long tube header , mid-pipe , and the intake manifold ???? Would a yaris be able to lay down 130+ to the wheels with , only bolt-ons Ie : long tube header, Midpipe, intake , intake manifold , nst pulleys , and axle back muffler?
blacksandiegovitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:14 PM   #22
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksandiegovitz View Post
So this will be sold with a mid-pipe that will bolt up to aftermarket or stock axle-backs right ? Is there any dyno pulls with a yaris running the long tube header , mid-pipe , and the intake manifold ???? Would a yaris be able to lay down 130+ to the wheels with , only bolt-ons Ie : long tube header, Midpipe, intake , intake manifold , nst pulleys , and axle back muffler?
All your questions....

answered here:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10840
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:05 PM   #23
whoguy

Drives: Yaris YRS Sedan
Richard..... the position of the O2 sensor is only on one exhaust pipe rather than at the join.

This will mean the o2 sensor will see lower readings and will run the engine rich......

Running rich may give the impression of more power/performance.
whoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:33 PM   #24
richardholdener

Drives: 2008 Yaris hatch
The oxygen sensor positon has no effect on the air/fuel ratio. You can run the sensor stuck in the end of the exhaust or in one individual tube, as long as each cylinder is runing the same-the readings will be identical. Not sure what you mean by lower readings or giving the impression of more power or performance. The dyno does not read impressions-it reads real numbers generated by the motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoguy View Post
Richard..... the position of the O2 sensor is only on one exhaust pipe rather than at the join.

This will mean the o2 sensor will see lower readings and will run the engine rich......

Running rich may give the impression of more power/performance.
richardholdener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:39 PM   #25
whoguy

Drives: Yaris YRS Sedan
Thanks Richard.

I was thinking the same, that the Air/Fuel ratio should read the same regardless of position.

Sorry about me writing "Impression", I meant running rich WILL give more power/performance. That old resistor across the o2 sensor trick.

I'm with you now.
whoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:27 PM   #26
jkuchta

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatch (red)
So....will this be available in 304 SS, or just the mild steel?
jkuchta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:26 PM   #27
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoguy View Post
Thanks Richard.

I was thinking the same, that the Air/Fuel ratio should read the same regardless of position.

Sorry about me writing "Impression", I meant running rich WILL give more power/performance. That old resistor across the o2 sensor trick.

I'm with you now.
Running rich does not actually give you more power, it's a common misconception. You actually have to run very slightly lean for the best combustion, if I recall correctly. You want to run richer in a turbo application so that the extra fuel acts as a coolant to prevent detonation.

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:42 PM   #28
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
Running rich does not actually give you more power, it's a common misconception. You actually have to run very slightly lean for the best combustion, if I recall correctly. You want to run richer in a turbo application so that the extra fuel acts as a coolant to prevent detonation.
Correct, rich (more fuel) does not mean more power. Is the other way around.
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:12 AM   #29
richardholdener

people get confused when they read rich or lean ads power. Optimum power comes from an optimum air/fuel mixture. This is usually 13.2:1 in an NA application and richer on forced induction applications-though a turbo motor very well at 13.2:1 air/fuel-just not for very long.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:05 AM   #30
harveyjai
Touge Driver

Drives: Yaris YRX
sorry to ask a dumb question...

but does that mean u can run this long header + bolt on muffler, no mid pipe?
harveyjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 05:32 AM   #31
AznGouki
Metsu

Drives: NCP91 ; E36
damn this is sweet. 550 for head and mid sounds pretty good. I am concerned about the mild steel though. Being in Canada, wouldn't rust be a greater issue for me? In terms of power gains, so far you look the best. How much louder is the vehicle with this set up? Any chance for a sound clip?
Old 11-19-2008, 11:49 AM   #32
richardholdener

It was real loud durign testing since we ran an open exhuast. Haven't run the system through a mid-pipe connected to axle back yet-we need to make sure there is sufficent interest before we make the production pieces. Sounded pretty cool at 6000 rpm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznGouki View Post
damn this is sweet. 550 for head and mid sounds pretty good. I am concerned about the mild steel though. Being in Canada, wouldn't rust be a greater issue for me? In terms of power gains, so far you look the best. How much louder is the vehicle with this set up? Any chance for a sound clip?
Old 11-19-2008, 12:25 PM   #33
anonymous user
rarer than JDM -1 of 1!

Drives: 07yaris
Interested, but like others, fundage is tight right now. I may be able to commit sometime after december. Maybe january?
anonymous user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:20 PM   #34
Yoda

Drives: 2008 Black Sedan
does any1 one see that it is spit at the top. Never seen that on a header before. Was it a mistake or did it crack?
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:24 PM   #35
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
i believe its for flexability. when the metal flange heats up if theres not a split it can warp and/or crack. its good to have a joint in there to allow expansion.
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:35 PM   #36
richardholdener

The split in the head flange was necessary to faciliate installation of the prototype. The header can't be installed if is is made as a full-length, 1-piece header. It will be a 2-piece design, but the production head flange will be 1 piece. The header will split mid-way down the primary tube-they will connect using a 4-bolt flange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
does any1 one see that it is spit at the top. Never seen that on a header before. Was it a mistake or did it crack?