Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-22-2007, 01:53 AM   #1
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Wow, I Got 48.57 mpg

okay, i just filled up after my Santa Cruz trip, and calculated my mpg. i got 48.57 mpg! most of that was freeway driving, but i was averaging 70 mph, hit stop and go traffic on the way out, and using the A/C. parts of the trip was downhill, so i was cruising that part in neutral. but man, that's some good mpg. lol...the best i've ever done was 50 mpg.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 02:12 AM   #2
Blenjar

Drives: Black Yaris 07 HB
Send a message via AIM to Blenjar
holy snap...
nice!!!!

-- Blen
Blenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 02:27 AM   #3
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Congratulations!

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 03:13 AM   #4
Kaotic Lazagna

thank you all.
Old 04-22-2007, 03:14 AM   #5
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
Congratulations!
so does this confirm that i don't have DFCO? like i said, this was mostly freeway this tank...but when i did try using DFCO like you said, i ended up losing 2 mpg.
Old 04-22-2007, 03:19 AM   #6
eco

Drives: 2007 Black Yaris sedan
If you ask me DFCO is BS anyway,because when you let off the gas your still in gear so there is a drag on the engine,so you slow down.Ive found tht giving it just enough gas to cruise(may drop mph allitle going straight,but I pick up goig down hill),or putting it in neutral,no drag there.
eco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 03:20 AM   #7
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco View Post
If you ask me DFCO is BS anyway,because when you let off the gas your still in gear so there is a drag on the engine,so you slow down.Ive found tht giving it just enough gas to cruise(may drop mph allitle going straight,but I pick up goig down hill),or putting it in neutral,no drag there.
yeah, but the DFCO concept seems valid, but i just don't think my Yaris has it. so i'll stick to putting it in neutral.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:30 PM   #8
falkor_99

Drives: 07 Yaris Blue HB
Send a message via AIM to falkor_99
thats pretty damn good!!!
falkor_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:23 PM   #9
nebulight
Novice Hypermiler

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
Send a message via AIM to nebulight
This post is pissing me off! I've tried to drive in the lower RPMs, turning off my car at lights, pumping up my tires to 50psi, DFCO, turning the car off while going downhill, you name it. And the best I was able to get was 37mpg on the highway, and I just filled up today and got 34mpg city!! What am I doing wrong?!

It's a slow start, but I'm shooting for 45mpg by summer. Best so far is 42.23mpg
nebulight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 09:32 PM   #10
Edd

Drives: None
Wow, that's like 4.85L/100km (if I worked it out correctly)... :-) [That's using the "US gallon" not "imperial gallon" - even though they are both imperial measurements.. Jesus the world would be screwed without the metric system.]
Edd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 09:42 PM   #11
Speedz
Will work for Yaris...

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulight View Post
This post is pissing me off! I've tried to drive in the lower RPMs, turning off my car at lights, pumping up my tires to 50psi, DFCO, turning the car off while going downhill, you name it. And the best I was able to get was 37mpg on the highway, and I just filled up today and got 34mpg city!! What am I doing wrong?!
Perhasp the engine havent run in yet...?

Like diesel engine can achieve the 1k per tank when the engines did about few thousands ks...
Speedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 11:31 PM   #12
YarisGuy

Drives: 2006 Yaris
WOW, very impressive indeed!
YarisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 01:10 AM   #13
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulight View Post
i wouldn't turn off my car at lights. starting your takes a lot of gas, from my experiences. you probably don't have DFCO, like me. if your Yaris is a stick-shift, try coasting to a stop sign/light, and down hills (has to be at least a mile imo) in neutral. that's what i do.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:12 AM   #14
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisGuy View Post
WOW, very impressive indeed!
thanks.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:28 AM   #15
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
i wouldn't turn off my car at lights. starting your takes a lot of gas, from my experiences. you probably don't have DFCO, like me. if your Yaris is a stick-shift, try coasting to a stop sign/light, and down hills (has to be at least a mile imo) in neutral. that's what i do.
Please be careful with the information you spread, Kaotic. As we've been over something is likely wrong with your ECU because *every* Yaris sold on *every* continent has DFCO. Yours does not appear to work correctly and it is possible that nebulight's vehicle may not be working properly, either, but to claim that you don't have DFCO is inaccurate. Have you discussed this with your dealership yet, or even performed the test I listed in the DFCO thread?

Additionally, what you said about not shutting off the ignition at stop lights is wildly inaccurate. Modern Japanese vehicles - especially Toyotas - are highly reliable and efficient. It takes just 7 seconds of the engine being off to equal the fuel used during starting back up and the wear-and-tear on the starter and other systems during turnover. Any time you can keep the engine off for more than 7 seconds you are not only saving fuel but also the wear-and-tear of your engine being in use.

If you only try to use DFCO and/or coasting on hills at least 1 mile long you will miss out on dozens of smaller opportunities to save some fuel every day.

Share the Road

Old 04-23-2007, 02:38 AM   #16
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
Please be careful with the information you spread, Kaotic. As we've been over something is likely wrong with your ECU because *every* Yaris sold on *every* continent has DFCO. Yours does not appear to work correctly and it is possible that nebulight's vehicle may not be working properly, either, but to claim that you don't have DFCO is inaccurate. Have you discussed this with your dealership yet, or even performed the test I listed in the DFCO thread?

Additionally, what you said about not shutting off the ignition at stop lights is wildly inaccurate. Modern Japanese vehicles - especially Toyotas - are highly reliable and efficient. It takes just 7 seconds of the engine being off to equal the fuel used during starting back up and the wear-and-tear on the starter and other systems during turnover. Any time you can keep the engine off for more than 7 seconds you are not only saving fuel but also the wear-and-tear of your engine being in use.

If you only try to use DFCO and/or coasting on hills at least 1 mile long you will miss out on dozens of smaller opportunities to save some fuel every day.

in my experiences, turning on off the engine causes my gas gauge to lower quicker. also, aren't there at least several members here where DFCO doesn't work for them as well? and like i said, i've tried a few of those things you mentioned to test out DFCO, i just haven't tried turning off the engine while driving.

no i have not discussed this with my dealership. i'm trying not to mention any problems, as small as this, with them because i have modified my Yaris, and don't want them to say that my warranty is voided. but i can go to a different Toyota dealer, i guess. but yeah, i'm tired of dealing with problems about my car, so i'm good off of asking a dealership.

just for confirmation, can you provide me the info saying that all Yarii have DFCO?
Old 04-23-2007, 02:44 AM   #17
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
just for confirmation, can you provide me the info saying that all Yarii have DFCO?
There's no master document that shows it but it's in every white paper on the ECU that's bundled with our 1NZ-FE engine.

It's also in the white papers for the ECU that's bundled with the 1.3L engine (same ECU, slightly different programming).

Those are the only 2 engines the Yaris comes with no matter where in the world you are, so every Yaris has DFCO.

Share the Road

Old 04-23-2007, 03:10 AM   #18
Kaotic Lazagna

then yeah, my "DFCO" is not working properly then, like several members here.