Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-04-2007, 03:52 PM   #1
Blenjar

Drives: Black Yaris 07 HB
Send a message via AIM to Blenjar
Post Intake Systems Decision Maker..

I think this might be helpful

Quote:
Intake Systems

An intake system brings more air into your car's engine. More power is created during combustion as more air is induced. Below are the different types of intake systems made:

Short Ram Intake - A short ram intake system sits within the engine bay and consists of the shortest possible distance from the throttle body to the intake filter for optimum performance. With this intake you will notice an increased throttle response and see more power. At the same time, your engine will become louder, but still pleasant, during acceleration. A short ram intake will significantly make your under-hood appearance cleaner. Furthermore, this will make it easier to access engine components for easy modification.

Cold Air Intake - Unlike the short ram intake, this intake system sits within the wheel well/fender or the front bumper, hence its name, Cold Air Intake. However, it will also provide you with an increased throttle response and power, combined with a pleasing induction sound to your engine while accelerating. A cold air intake will also significantly make your under-hood more appealing as well as makes access to components in your engine bay easily accessible.

Which intake system is right for you?

Cold air intakes, as mentioned above, are placed near the wheel well/fender or the front bumper, which brings in a cooler charged air from outside the engine bay. The incoming air for cold air systems are denser and create more power. However, the piping is a lot longer than short ram systems which means the power gains are not seen until mid to higher RPMs. Short ram intakes are located within the engine bay, so the charged air isn't as dense, which means that it doesn't make as much power in the upper RPM range and makes less power overall. Nevertheless, it depends on your car and the design of your engine to see which will provide you with the most power or your needs. Still, your budget is a considerable factor into all of this. A cold air system is a bit more expensive than short ram systems.

How do you install an intake system?

Intake systems are true bolt-on applications. The factory air box and resonator need to be removed and the intake system is installed in its place. Basic hand tools are need and the system installs in minutes. Keep in mind, for some cold air intakes the front bumper needs to be removed for a successful installation.

Acronyms

Short Ram Intake - SRI
Cold Air Intake - CAI

Brands

AEM - provides the following intake systems:
Cold Air Intakes
Relocate the filter outside of the engine compartment to deliver the coolest air inlet temperatures possible,
which translates into more horsepower and torque.
Outperforms every other Cold Air system on the market.
Available with red, blue, silver powdercoat, or with a mirror-polished finish
Guaranteed for life.

ChinoCharles Short Ram Intake System
Made from high quality Jesus trimmings, CC's intake is second to none, not even the man Himself. If intakes were made to suck, trust that this intake sucks the most. Most intakes simply put a filter out there in hopes that some air will hit it. CC's intake includes a filter with real double-d breasts built right in. The air cannot resist and rushes into the inlet tube like a middle schooler that hopped the fence outside the titty bar parking lot. Astroglide is used throughout the tubing to allow for smooth, resistance-free flow. This all leads to a silicon coupling made from the numerous damaged breast implants left behind by Anna Nicole Smith. It can be safely said that this is the sexiest intake of all time.

Short Ram Intakes
AEM Short Ram intakes are underhood systems that deliver unmatched performance, value and ease of
installation.
Outperforms every comparable intake system on the market
50-state legal or pending legality
Manufactured and assembled in the USA
Inlet constructed of lightweight aircraft aluminum and mandrel bent for maximum flow

Brute Force Intakes
AEM Brute Force intakes deliver the most Air Power for your truck, SUV or fuel-injected musclecar.
Outperforms every other system on the market
AEM's lifetime DryFlow Synthetic air filter is 99.4% efficient, filters to one micron, and never needs oil!

V2 Intakes
AEM's patented V2 intake is the most powerful intake system ever made.
Outperforms every intake system on the market, even our own Cold Air Intakes
Patent #6,959,679

Hybrid Intakes
Bolt-on intake systems for Hondas and Acuras with engine swaps
Direct fit intake for Hondas and Acuras with engine swaps - No modifications required
Three-inch aircraft aluminum inlet pipe delivers maximum flow for high-output motors
Reinforced TIG-welded brackets and fittings deliver added durability
AEM DryFlow Synthetic air filter is 99.4% efficient, filters to one micron, and never needs oil!

Injen - provides the following intake systems:
SP Intake System
These Intake Systems Feature the Patent Pending MR Technology Process for Optimal
Gains and a Safe A/F Ratio. The SP series does not limit itself to just a Cold Air System or Short
Ram System. The MR Technology process has its effects on both types. SP is The World's First
Tuned Intake System.

IS Intake Systems
The IS Series is a traditional, underhood intake system that is placed in the stock location of the factory
air-box system. Each system is built from 6061, T-6 aluminum alloy to ensure the lightest design
possible. Every IS system is certified or pending by the California Air Resource Board and backed
by Injen Technology’s limited lifetime warranty.

RD Series Race Division Intake Systems
The RD series is a cold air intake system for the enthusiast craving mid-range power. The intake tube
is strategically placed behind the front bumper to acquire colder, denser air. Although most of the
RD series is a one-piece design, several are two-piece designs due to the mass air flow meters.
Every RD system is certified or pending by the California Air Resource Board and backed by Injen
Technology's limited lifetime warranty.

EIS Series Intake Systems
The EIS Series is Injen Technology’s European line of intake systems. E is only available in either
polish or black powder coat and comes with a metal E emblem for your rear trunk lid. Like the entire
Injen intake line, every EIS Series intake is certified or pending by the California Air Resource Board
and is backed by Injen Technology’s limited lifetime warranty.

POWER-FLOW intake Systems
Specially designed for high performance Trucks and SUV and engineered to the highest standards,
utilizing the best technology available.
Incorporating Injen's own patent pending MR Technology proves that the PF (PowerFlow) series intake
system is the world's first tuned intake system on the market! The Injen Powerflow intake system
assures the highest horsepower and torque gains within the safe factory Air/Fuel ratio limits.

F5 Fujita - provides the following intake systems:
Cold Air Intake Systems
A Cold Air Intake is traditionally longer and in most cases extended behind the bumper cover so that it
can injest more direct air. In addition to more direct air, the longer plenum achieves higher torque
gains as well as impressive horsepower figures. Depending on the complexity of the plenum route,
the Fujita Cold Air Intake my come as a 1 piece or 2 piece intake system. Different diameters,
filters, and bends are all key factors of the R&D process of each Cold Air Intake. The in-house
Dynojet is the final judge of which intake configuration will make it to production. Air/Fuel ratios are
also an important factor in testing the Cold Air Intake, ensuring that safe and near factory levels are
maintained in order to not trip any electronic sensors on the vehicle.

Short Ram Intake Systems
A traditionall underhood intake, also known as a Short Ram Intake, usually follows the same path as
the stock intake system. There are some distinct difference between the stock intake and the Fujita
Air Short Ram. A few of these difference include replacing the factory intake plenum with an
aluminum plenum, eliminating resonators, air box, drop in filter, and replacing it with an open filter
element. These key differences allow the vehicle to bring in more air into the intake chamber and
create more horsepower and torque. Vacuum and in some cases air mass sensors, are still
maintained and incorporated into the Fujita Short Ram Intake. Since a vehicle is constantly moving
(except during traffic or at a light) heat soak will be of little issue since the car will constantly be
bringing in fresh air. In addition, studies have shown that the material used to build the intake
system has shown no loss of horsepower due to an intake being rubber, aluminum, ceramic
coated, anodized, etc.

All Fujita intake systems have the following key features:
6061 T6 Aluminum Intake Tubing with Polished finish *except special editions
HoseTechniques Silicone hose w/Nomex
Carbon Plated T-bolt clamps *unless linear clamps are required
Fujita Super Flow High Performance Air Filter
TIG Welded bracketry
Vibration Mounts
Fujita Duffel Bag *While Supplies Last
Fujita Hat
NOS Energy Drink *While Supplies Last
Credit to http://reviews.ebay.com/Performance-...00000002796091

Last edited by Blenjar; 04-06-2007 at 08:21 AM.
Blenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:54 PM   #2
Blenjar

Oops, hey can a mod move this to Performance..i tho I was in it.
thx in advance.

-- Blen
Old 04-05-2007, 07:28 PM   #3
sam07yaris

Drives: 07 yaris sedan (silver) STICK
that is good info. im better off using my socks as the intake tube bwaaaahaaaaaaaaaa jp:P
Old 04-05-2007, 07:31 PM   #4
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
I did not see Chino's intake on there? What about his?
Old 04-05-2007, 07:42 PM   #5
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
ROFL! Here blen, throw this in there.

Quote:
Made from high quality Jesus trimmings, CC's intake is second to none, not even the man Himself. If intakes were made to suck, trust that this intake sucks the most. Most intakes simply put a filter out there in hopes that some air will hit it. CC's intake includes a filter with real double-d breasts built right in. The air cannot resist and rushes into the inlet tube like a middle schooler that hopped the fence outside the titty bar parking lot. Astroglide is used throughout the tubing to allow for smooth, resistance-free flow. This all leads to a silicon coupling made from the numerous damaged breast implants left behind by Anna Nicole Smith. It can be safely said that this is the sexiest intake of all time.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:44 PM   #6
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Quote:
Made from high quality Jesus trimmings, CC's intake is second to none, not even the man Himself. If intakes were made to suck, trust that this intake sucks the most. Most intakes simply put a filter out there in hopes that some air will hit it. CC's intake includes a filter with real double-d breasts built right in. The air cannot resist and rushes into the inlet tube like a middle schooler that hopped the fence at the titty bar. Astroglide is used throughout the tubing to allow for smooth, resistance-free flow. This all leads to a silicon coupling made from the numerous damaged breast implants left behind by Anna Nicole Smith. It can be safely said that this is the sexiest intake of all time.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:22 PM   #7
eijikikimaru
Q(','Q)

Drives: 3dr Meteroite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
ROFL! Here blen, throw this in there.
eijikikimaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 08:46 PM   #8
RogueYaris

Drives: 2015 Abs Red
Shit Chino, how much do you charge for one of those? What is the warranty for the Jesus trimmings? Will I go to hell for using this?
RogueYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 01:32 AM   #9
forpinks

Drives: 03 Toyota Corolla S modded,
add CHINOS INTAKE!!!! PLEASE IT WOULD BE NICE!!!!!

BUT YOU JUST GOTTA LOVE IT....
forpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 08:15 AM   #10
sdmf
Down With the Sickness

Drives: 2007 yaris liftback
Send a message via AIM to sdmf
since our cars are dbw, wouldnt the intake be just for show basically? i thought dbw cars regulate airflow so it would block out some of the air it sucks in.

Strength - Determination - Merciless - Forever
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 08:22 AM   #11
Blenjar

lol I did
=]

-- Blen
Old 04-06-2007, 11:48 AM   #12
Nutzoids

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenjar View Post
Holy Shit I almost wet my pants while reading this one!

Nutzoids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 02:09 PM   #13
whooppee777
I used to have 1700 posts

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
Send a message via AIM to whooppee777
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam07yaris View Post
that is good info. im better off using my socks as the intake tube bwaaaahaaaaaaaaaa jp:P
goddamn how do you get 45.9 mpg?
whooppee777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 02:13 PM   #14
Black Yaris
der Zeck

drving only down hill and feathering the gas
Old 04-06-2007, 03:03 PM   #15
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmf View Post
since our cars are dbw, wouldnt the intake be just for show basically? i thought dbw cars regulate airflow so it would block out some of the air it sucks in.
No, and that is incorrect.
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:21 AM   #16
Yaris Revenge
GIGA...DRILL...BREAKER!!!

Drives: Lagann. ;P
I saw a formula one time (@ genvibe.com) that calculated power increase/loss based on the air temperature, and according to that, most short ram systems actually caused a HP loss... their positioning usually pulls in air that's closer to the engine (hence warmer) than the stock airboxes. Dunno' how accurate that would be though... the math looked impressive. There was multiplication and decimals and stuff!

Several people on that site were very unhappy with the short rams... claimed a substantial loss of low end.

However, if warmer air leads to better mpg, a short ram may be the ideal thing to increase a Yaris' already impressive ratings, while making throttle response quicker!

~YR
Old 04-10-2007, 10:22 AM   #17
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Revenge View Post
I saw a formula one time (@ genvibe.com) that calculated power increase/loss based on the air temperature, and according to that, most short ram systems actually caused a HP loss... their positioning usually pulls in air that's closer to the engine (hence warmer) than the stock airboxes. Dunno' how accurate that would be though... the math looked impressive. There was multiplication and decimals and stuff!

Several people on that site were very unhappy with the short rams... claimed a substantial loss of low end.

However, if warmer air leads to better mpg, a short ram may be the ideal thing to increase a Yaris' already impressive ratings, while making throttle response quicker!

~YR
I plan on doing some testing in the next few weeks to confirm or deny this, but from what I have come to understand the temperature difference in air between a CAI that takes air from the wheel well and a short ram that takes from the engine bay is negligable. Think about it... a proper CAI has a substantial amount of tubing running through the engine bay, and despite aluminum's heat properties it cannot totally prevent heat diffusion through the pipe and into your air. I would guess the temperature difference in the end between a CAI and short ram intake is negligable, but like I said, I intend on finding out for sure.

Which one you grab depends on what you want from your car. Each has its advantages and disadvantages.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:58 AM   #18
sdmf
Down With the Sickness

Drives: 2007 yaris liftback
Send a message via AIM to sdmf
educate me

Quote:
Originally Posted by largeorangefont View Post
No, and that is incorrect.
please educate me, thats what i have been told. i used to be a corolla owner, and the dbw rollas 05+ were all dbw(excludes xrs) and when changing intakes car would throw a CEL

Strength - Determination - Merciless - Forever
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote