Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-24-2012, 04:04 AM   #1
tyrone_yaris

Drives: Toyota Vitz 2007 facelift
Mild shocks

Hi,

I tend to get mild shocks occassionally when touching metal parts of my Vitz (2007 hatch back) be it the ignition metal key area, when adjusting the side mirrors by hand or the door sils. Anything I can do to stop it?

Also when accelerating I can hear a faint whistle type sound which stops when I remove my foot off the accelerator. I'ts very faint. For the life of me I dont even know where to start looking, could be one of the two belts in the engine bay, wheel bearings. How can i tell? Pls help as to how I shld diagnose the source of this sound.

Thanks

Tyrone
tyrone_yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:19 PM   #2
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
there have beeen some threads on static shock in the past. Generally just stop wearing synthetics, and start wearing cotton, bamboo or anti-static clothing. And touch the frame of your car while exiting/entering the seat, as the rubbing against the seat causes it. Or buy leather seat covers like Clazzio. And stop having dry skin, use skin moisture cream, and be sweaty instead of dry.

The whissle? Make a video of it perhaps?
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:16 AM   #3
tyrone_yaris

Thanks for the reply swidd. I will definitely follow your suggestions regarding the static shock. Even when I go to switch off the ignitiion I get a shock when my finger tips touch the metal part of the ignition. It sort of shakes me up

Re the video...its a very faint soound more like a shing shing shing which is heard in teh cabin sometimes when accelerating. I switched on teh car opened up the engine bay and couldnt really hear anything there. Just beats me as to what this sound is ??????????? It comes and goes and is not continuous
Old 02-26-2012, 05:24 AM   #4
swidd

ya, static shocks have been a horrible problem for me, making me chronically nervous when approaching and trying to "force" my mind to touch metal door handles, the car, airplanes, fences and card swipers etc. If the weather is extremely dry and I know/feel that I am statically charged, I really struggle to get myself to touch the metal and take the zap.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:55 PM   #5
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Same problem here. LOL
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #6
swidd

It becomes socially awkward sometimes when I'm standing in front of a door with people behind me and my hand just ... doesn't touch that door. I'll usually try to "hit it", or open it with my elbow after touching the glass.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #7
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
I've gotten into the habit if touching door surfaces before touching the knob in an attempt to ground myself beforehand. It works half of the time. I always get a shock when I go to close my driver's door after getting out. Really, really annoying.
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:23 PM   #8
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
lol, remember those older cars that had that dangling thing behind the rear tires. I think they were used to rid the car of static. I can't find a pic of what I'm talking about tho.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:30 PM   #9
12 yaris

Drives: '12 Yaris LE Lagoon Blue Mica
Curb Feelers?
As for the whistling sound,check for vaccum leaks
12 yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:04 AM   #10
tyrone_yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12 yaris View Post
Curb Feelers?
As for the whistling sound,check for vaccum leaks
How do you check for vaccum leaks and would the vacuum leaks be???
Old 02-27-2012, 08:12 AM   #11
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Getting static shocks when exiting the car seems to be a common problem, getting shocks while you are sitting in the car makes me think something else is wrong.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:39 AM   #12
tyrone_yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Getting static shocks when exiting the car seems to be a common problem, getting shocks while you are sitting in the car makes me think something else is wrong.
Could you pls explain as it happens when I sit in teh car and my fingers touch the ignition or the side mirrors from inside? Thanks