Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-08-2013, 02:00 AM   #1
xb visitor

Drives: scion xb
Whats Calif legal?

As far as performance upgrades go. Intake and exhaust I have already..without forced induction, I don't believe there is much to be had a header? I've looked at a lot of photos and the stock exhaust header doesn't look too far off fom a CARB legal header, the primariy pipes only appear to be 2-3" longer, in addition I've read a lot of people losing low end grunt, same as using larger exhaust tubing..almost always makes a "average"car slower where it counts.

IMO..there are really only a few mods lightweight flywheel predominantly, and I'm sure the CAI helps..but not until your really flying at frwy speeds 80-100 mph'

So what you guys got?..are any of the the super chargers Calif legal? If I remember right there was BLITZ, and Greddy..and at one time Power enterprises? The Blitz seemed the best if I remember right.
Cams? probably cost a small fortune to install..I think the company was GUDE? along with a performance cylinder head option that claimed 30+ h.p Claimed I know..but a HUGE gain..but would it pass smog and not throw C.E.L ?? And what was the cost and does anyone here use that combo?
Is there any proven engine remapping that doesn't cuase issues and not require a piggyback setup etc.. and require expensive dyno sessions?

Im not opposed to "smog illegall" if I can easily get away with it. I just cant consider something as radical as a turbo set up..just due to the complexity of the system and being hard presed to hide it and convert it back & forth for smog.
I know there are "smog guys" Ive used them many times in the past for other cars/trucks. the last guy I used in Burbank..got caught and they sent him to prision! BIG TIME SMOG TROUBLE. I also don't want to have to search for a illegal smog every 2 years to smog the car, hell I even got reffered to a star certified center on my last check...

The supercharger seems to be the cleanest,most reliable and retrofittable system out there..but If they are not Calif leagal..Id never spend 2500.00 -$3000.00 for one. Buying used sounds better price wise...but who knows what goes wrong and who the hell could rebuild these units.

This lil car would be PERFECT with 150 h.p. either N/A or Forced induction...do any of you have anything close to the 130-150 h.p mark?"Im' not talking the " MEGA BOOSTED" hot rods..I need a daily driver. Again has anyone utilized theperformance cylinder head and cams? and does it offer a "documented/dyno proven30 h.p or is it a bogus claim like 90% of the aftermarket bolt ons?

Like most of you..I sure like to find another realistic 25-30 h.p without spending a fortune. I can sell my XB for pretty dammed good $ I can sell the dammed thing for 9-10k and I only paid mid14k for it 10 years ago!!!!! and actually buy a MINI cooper S..but Im aware of the packaging issues and BRUTAL HIGH costs associated with MINI as well as the Minis consumer reports ,report of having much higher than average poor reliability issues.as well as being a not recommended buy, In addition momma said NEVER ..EVER buy a used turbo car...
So for now its XB..Ive never owned a car this long...ever!! 10 years now!!! The last thing I owned was a 1988 5.0 lx and a Mazda prerunner truck with a stroked smallblock 383..had each of those for 6 years but only 10-18 m.p.g. The XB gets 34mpg-43mpg@55mph" the horrible frwy gearing is another issue" Of course the MPG IS GREAT ..but the sheer and utter lack of speed is like eating a bowl of estrogen I tired or wearing pink underwear and bows in my hair.. I need more speed..anything..even 20h.p.!!!

Last edited by xb visitor; 11-08-2013 at 02:16 AM.
xb visitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:08 PM   #2
JimKellyfan

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
earthquakes, I believe are legal, not sure about Arnold movies though.
check localities, as it may change where you are (some areas have emissions, some do not on the East coast) (safety only) good luck
2010 Yaris sedan, TRD CAT back (sport muffler only, really), OBX header (relocated front AF sensor to front pipe), OBX throttle plate spacer, K&N filter (in stock air box-for now), TRD struts and shocks, Mexico Rough Road Springs x 4, new Yota sway bar links front, slotted/drilled rotors and Maxx brakes front, Valvoline synthetic brake fluid, 3M undercoated, 16" Konig Feathers Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3 + Tires
TRD rear sway bar, 4 GT Spec bars including: front strut brace 2 point, 4 point ladder brace, mid chassis brace and rear lower tie brace, rear hitch, [B]
JimKellyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:38 PM   #3
47_MasoN_47
What I thought I'd do was

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
I could be wrong, but I don't think you can have any sort of non-factory forced induction on a Yaris and still pass.

My Nissan Hardbody (D21) 4x4 build log
Check out my YouTube channel (mostly shooting) - http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
47_MasoN_47 is offline   Reply With Quote