Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-19-2008, 05:02 PM   #271
ToddR
Bacon!

Drives: 2008 Red Yaris LB
Excellent time to change your password if your account did not get nuked.
ToddR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 05:24 PM   #272
jclo3313
Super Moderator

Drives: Absolutely red Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to jclo3313
Good call. Things will never be the same after the 10/18 attack.

Obama Can't Gymkhana!
jclo3313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 05:25 PM   #273
bikegerm

Drives: 2007 Meteor LB
Wow !! Just got back from being out of town. WHAT KAOS !!

First off......DON'T GO GARM !! THE ENTHUSIASTIC MEMBERS AND SERIOUS PAYING CUSTOMERS YOU HAVE HERE WOULD GREATLY MISS YOUR KNOWLEDGE AND SUPPORT!! THAT ALSO GOES FOR ALL OTHER YW VENDORS. HOW ELSE WILL I FIND YOU AND KEEP GIVING YOU MY "TITHINGS"?

Second off...stay positive, this is just a big purge. I know losing the data sucks, but live and learn. What YW member hasn't been burned with data crashes? I think we all have....

Third... I think yarisworld should establish a paypal account where members can "donate" to the yw administrators to help pay for daily backup expenses. I realize the vendors are probably paying for banner ads and other things, but I feel it's can also be part of the members responsibility.

Thanks YW for getting it back up so quickly. We can rebuild her. We have the technology !!

bikgerm
yet to be re-established....
bikegerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 05:31 PM   #274
jclo3313
Super Moderator

Drives: Absolutely red Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to jclo3313
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegerm View Post
Wow !! Just got back from being out of town. WHAT KAOS !!

First off......DON'T GO GARM !! THE ENTHUSIASTIC MEMBERS AND SERIOUS PAYING CUSTOMERS YOU HAVE HERE WOULD GREATLY MISS YOUR KNOWLEDGE AND SUPPORT!! THAT ALSO GOES FOR ALL OTHER YW VENDORS. HOW ELSE WILL I FIND YOU AND KEEP GIVING YOU MY "TITHINGS"?

Second off...stay positive, this is just a big purge. I know losing the data sucks, but live and learn. What YW member hasn't been burned with data crashes? I think we all have....

Third... I think yarisworld should establish a paypal account where members can "donate" to the yw administrators to help pay for daily backup expenses. I realize the vendors are probably paying for banner ads and other things, but I feel it's can also be part of the members responsibility.

Thanks YW for getting it back up so quickly. We can rebuild her. We have the technology !!

bikgerm
yet to be re-established....
Well said. Nobody will feel the same but we can't let the bastards grind us down. I wish we could go back, but it is what it is.

Obama Can't Gymkhana!
jclo3313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 05:37 PM   #275
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisBueller View Post
yea, we have daily backups now.... sorry everyone, it should have been daily backups before but i got us a backup service that will do it for us now. setting up as we speak.
Hey crap happens. Thanks for a great forum.

Maybe the hacker's will die untimely deaths
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:13 PM   #276
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Hey it works again ,i feel like a 1 post noob.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:33 PM   #277
sanityassassinv2
The poison in your poison

Drives: 2008 Black Liftback MT
Whew, I'm finally able to post. For some reason I had to change my name to "v2"...I never got a confirmation email on my other name when I re-registered. It really stinks having 0 posts, but oh well--I'm glad you guys were able to keep the site up. Thanks!

BTW, can someone either activate "sanityassassin" and get rid of this account or vice-versa? It won't let me change my email address to my home email address (because it says it's already in use).
sanityassassinv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:24 PM   #278
slothman86

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
How about this pissed me off so much!
Old 10-19-2008, 07:46 PM   #279
SeansGirl0604
Love this itty bitty car!

Drives: Polar White 2007 Hatchback
Send a message via MSN to SeansGirl0604
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddR View Post
Excellent time to change your password if your account did not get nuked.
Yep..I just was required to change my password..but I might start over anyway.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:12 PM   #280
uncleyaris

Drives: 2007 Bayou Blue!!!!!!!
It reminds me of the markets right now. I just lost 1200 posts!!! Sucks but we'll bounce back!!!
uncleyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:13 PM   #281
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisBueller View Post
I feel horrible about this but what do you want me to do at this point? I didn't ask for this, I never did anything to piss anyone off. Someone very malicious and vicious came and attacked the forum and I've been working for more hours then I can count to bring things back as best as possible. Sure I wish I had daily backups. Sure I wish we had a 24 hour onsite server maintainance company to watch things for us and keep the hackers out. But the fact is that I'm one person who is trying to run the site in conjuction with an amazing moderator team and amazing site membership. This place is a homegrown effort for sure. I'm frustrated and I want to snap quite a few necks right now, but the only thing I can actually do and have an effect on is to get things back up to par. I haven't even spent that much time trying to trace the hacker as I have been in just setting things right. At this point retribution is much less important than getting the ship floating and sailing straight again. Take my word for it, its alot of work and I might be moving the server completly today as right now we are leasing the space and since i'm dropping some more money on daily backups I might as well spend some on a new server... theres alot on my plate right now and i'm doing what I can to fix things and i'm sorry I didnt do everything I probably should of but please remember this is a complete donation of my time and money; i've never asked for anything from anyone and never will. Sorry i'm rambling right now. Ok, keep the PMs with suggestions coming i'm implementing things as they come in so if you've ever wanted something, nows the time to ask :)

YarisBueller,

I'm sure you feel horrible about this. I would feel the same if I was in your shoes, knowing that I was responsible for a years loss of information for not having proper back up procedures (daily, weekly at least).

I'm not accusing you of wanting this to happen, no one apart from one ex-member (captavise aka vpcorp had stated he would bring the site down within the last 2 months), all i'm saying is prevention is better than cure and if a proper back up procedure had been implemented all the heartache of administrators, moderators, vendors, members could have been avoided.

I even remember a thread about 3-6 months ago the mod team was calling for people to "hack" the site to check how secure it was. At that point in time I thought that a backup would have been made before such an offer went out just in case something bad happened.

I understand you've probably put hours into getting this forum back up, I would do the same if I was an administrator as it would be my responsibility to do so, not to mention the guilt attached of not doing proper back ups. I know it seems I’m harping on about this.

I really understand that this forum has an excellent moderator team, all of them are approachable via pm or email and most would go out of there way to help anyone. The forum also has an excellent member base who are also willing to help anyone with advice, suggestions and DIY's.

I would like to conclude by saying that I understand that no amount of bitching, whining, throwing tantrums on the floor will bring back the lost information. I also understand that it is more important that all members rebuild this great forum as we are a great community with lots of helpful information to share.

But most important is to learn the valuable lesson the hacker/s has taught us.
Back up daily. I'm also glad that now a proper back up procedure has been implemented and this situation would be overcome easily if it was to happen again.

YarisBueller, I would like to thank you for doing the best you can with what you've got to get this forum to where it once was and even better.

---
*MAD DOG*

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:05 PM   #282
mark2908

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB Auto
I can't believe someone would do this to YW. Back up, Back up, Back up.
If funds are needed to do weekly or daily backups... I'd be happy to chip in, as many other members would be too. Thanks to all the moderators for the hard work, I'm sure some hair and sleep has been lost over this.
mark2908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:10 PM   #283
othater

Drives: 07SedanS06Taco
Just when I was about to get 25 posts for a noob, now back to 1.
othater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:22 PM   #284
jimtevin
Banned

Drives: Black Yaris LB
Y'all keep talking about this ex member who said he would bring the site down..just curious..why?? What would make a member here want to do this??
jimtevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:41 PM   #285
DFA
Compulsive Washer

Drives: 08' AT Meteorite Metallic LB
Send a message via MSN to DFA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtevin View Post
Y'all keep talking about this ex member who said he would bring the site down..just curious..why?? What would make a member here want to do this??
Same reason losers and rejects at high schools decide to go in one day with a couple UZIs and a sawn-off shotgun and grafitti everyone's brain to a wall.

DFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:55 PM   #286
jimtevin
Banned

No, I guess what I am asking is not why he chose hacking as the way to go, but what you believe the provocation was? Did he just go crazy one day?
Old 10-19-2008, 10:16 PM   #287
03Z33

Drives: TCR10
craziness
03Z33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:17 PM   #288
jimtevin
Banned

So there is nothing at all that might have set this guy off? One day, he was Mr. Model Poster, the next day, he says he will hack the site? I am asking because I am making a tiny, tiny bit of progress following the IP trail.