Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-31-2008, 09:27 PM   #1
vandallen

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Installing Trailer Light Harness

I installed a hidden hitch trailer hitch. It fits perfectly and is barely in sight.
Now I want to install a light harness module. Has anyone installed trailer lights? Is it safe to wire directly into the harness, or is a powered module required? Does anyone make a plug in system?
Thanks
vandallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:06 PM   #2
jonismyname

Drives: 08 liftback 5spd
wire direct. you need a 5-4 box of some sort, got mine at napa (workplace...)

i use normal incadascent bulbs that came on my trailer, works fine, never blown a fuse, probably have 3-4 hundred miles pulling a trailer since.

LED lights on the trailer would be ideal, as the draw significantly lower amperage therefore taxing the system that much less, walmart has a sealed set of 2 tails and 2 markers for 50 or so... but again, the normal stuff works so far...

as far as which wire goes where, look real close at the circuit board, and a multimeter/ continuity tester works fine, worse case scenario you ground a hot and need to replace a fuse...

good luck and enjoy!
jonismyname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 04:16 PM   #3
Nelson

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
There are two common ways to hook up trailer wiring. Whatever wiring method you use, the goal is to connect a little trailer wiring converter box to your tail lights to convert your car's wiring to trailer wiring in a safe way that protects you car's electronics. And, there are two different kinds of trailer converter boxes, one that uses power from the car's tail light wiring, and one that requires you to run a separate power wire to eliminate the extra stress on your car tail light wiring that the trailer might add.

For little trailers without too much power draw, the Yaris tail light wiring seems to be able to handle the trailer light load just fine. So you can get buy without the more complicated converter and instead just draw power from the car tail light wiring directly.

Now, the two wiring methods . . .

The easiest is what is called a T-connector if there is one made for your car. With the T-connector you just unplug the tail light wiring in the car and pug the T-connector in. Super easy and dummy proof. Saddly, there is not a T-connector available for the Yaris.

Since a T-connector is not available for the Yaris, the next easiest way is to wire the tail lights is to use QuickSplice connectors (use the 18-22 guage quicksplices, not the 14-18 guage) that allow you to connect the trailer light wiring directly to the car wiring, one wire at a time, with the simple pinch of a pair of pliers.

In our 2008 Yaris sedan, I loosened the trunk lining enough to get to the tail lights. Then, I pealed back some of the wiring wrap to get at the wires. Then I wired the converter box to the left hand tail light (for running light, brake light, left turn and ground) with one wire run to the right hand tail light for control of the right hand turn signal.

The tail light wiring was as follows . . .
At the left hand tail light: Purple= brake, green=running/tail light, aqua=left turn. I ran the ground directly to the tail light ground that is screwed into the car below and to the right of the left tail light.
I then ran the right turn signal wire to the right tail light and connected it to the yellow wire at the right tail light.

In the end, I attached the converter box to the inside back wall of the trunk, just under the left rear tail light, then I left the wiring connector for the trailer laying next to the spare tire in the spare tire well, because it fit there so nicely, and is easy to get to. Then I just lift the trailer wiring out of the trunk, connect the trailer, and then close the trunk lid (across the wiring) with the wiring hanging out through the trunk seal. Works great and keeps the trailer wiring inside the trunk and out of the weather except when I'm using it.

I probably spent an hour and a half figuring out the details of this install. The next one would probably be a 20 minute job.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:27 PM   #4
vandallen

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Trailer lights

I think I might get a powered converter just to protect the Yaris. The trailer I intend to pull will have 2 marker lights and 2 tail lights.
Thank for your reply.
vandallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:13 AM   #5
Nelson

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandallen View Post
I think I might get a powered converter just to protect the Yaris. The trailer I intend to pull will have 2 marker lights and 2 tail lights.
Two marker lights and two tail lights is a pretty standard little trailer setup that has been working fine for people without known problems and without powered converters. However, it certainly won't hurt to run a separate power line, just cost a bit more and make wiring a fair amount more hassle . . . where will you draw the power from? How will you run the wire cleanly from the front of the car to the back? These are the questions that I asked before deciding to go the easier way. The tralier company I got our hitch from suggested that the powered converter was not needed with the Yaris.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:23 PM   #6
bldunne

Drives: 2007 Yaris
To Nelson

Your procedure is perfect and I am glad you took the time to tell us about it. It sounds easy enough and is exactly the information I was looking for.

Happy Trails.
bldunne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 08:11 PM   #7
charles nelson

Drives: red Liftback
What are the color coded wires to use in 2008 Yaris Liftback...my LB does not appear to
have the same color coding as the Sedan mentioned above. No aqua color, instead
a light brown wire and a white-with black stripe.
charles nelson is offline   Reply With Quote