Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 04-28-2009, 02:10 AM   #1
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Drives: Black 08 LB MT & red 97 Miata
My Ultra Racing rear sway bar install

Well I finally got my rear sway bar from MicroImage (Thanks Garm!) I installed it the same day and heres the pics...

Before install

Note that the sway bar is sitting on the ground facing the opposite way from when it is installed

Back wheels off ready to remove the nuts

Also note the jack under the shock to relieve the pressure so i could pull the bolt back far enough to put the bar on

Right side installed

Finished!

This rear sway bar is really great! The car is a lot less nervous in corners. The back end used to tend to step out on hard turns, especially when hitting bumps. I had to learn not to adjust so much for that behavior. When taking the highway on ramp near my house, I'd take it a little shallow because the back would step out a little on the bumps, well first time or two, I took it almost too shallow! I'm used to it now, and the back end tracks very well, now. I'm very happy with my purchase!

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure
and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell

Last edited by CtrlAltDefeat; 11-01-2009 at 04:59 PM.
CtrlAltDefeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 02:58 AM   #2
AlainMikli

Drives: ings 09 Yaris 3 Door LiftBack
congrats

I installed my rear sway 2 days ago, it's really funny
REAL JDM ings+1 Full Body Kit…REAL JDM C-One Spoiler…Retrofit Projector Headlight…Kiddo 6-pots BBK…CE 28N J-Time Attack…Bride Ergo II Racing Seat…Personal Steering Wheel…Work Bell Quick Release…Dealer Option Sun Roof…JDM RS LED Side Mirror…JDM RS Taillight…C-One Oil Cap…C-One Radiator Cap…TRD Iridium Racing Spark Plug…Tom's Fuel Map Controller…Blitz throttle controller…GReddy Informeter Touch…MR Suspension…TRD Rear Sway Bar…MR C-Pillar Bar…GTspec Front Strut Bar & Rear Strut Bar…AFE Intake…WR Header…Nitto Mid-Pipe…Greddy Ti-C axleback…Goodridge SS Brake Line…
To do: Supercharger…
AlainMikli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:14 AM   #3
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlainMikli View Post
congrats

I installed my rear sway 2 days ago, it's really funny
funny? like weird funny or haha funny?

Old 04-28-2009, 05:58 AM   #4
Sabretooth
37HSSV

Drives: '11 Mazdaspeed 3
Send a message via AIM to Sabretooth
I just installed mine today..My funny story: 19mm Sway Bar Install

Well I kinda confirmed the fact that this part CAN be installed without either jacking up the car, nor removing the tires. Why I did this, I wanted to prove what someone had said previously, and I really didnt feel like searching for the jack arm for my floor jack.

Anyway, all went well, Sway bar installed, and I LOVE IT!
Car feels totally crisp, allowing me to push the corner that little extra bit, or just allow the car to transition a bit smoother throughout the corner. I cant wait to get this baby to the track and start to mingle with the other cars.

Last edited by Sabretooth; 04-28-2009 at 01:31 PM.
Sabretooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:17 AM   #5
schleppy
I love momentum.

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB, Red
Send a message via AIM to schleppy
^ agreed. I installed my TRD late last week and it was cake. I didn't jack the car up, didn't remove the tires. Just bolted it right on.

And yes, everyone should get a rear sway, even people who don't care about handling. It makes the car that much better.
schleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:03 AM   #6
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDefeat View Post
This rear sway bar is really great! The car is a lot less nervous in corners. The back end used to tend to step out on hard turns, especially when hitting bumps. I had to learn not to adjust so much for that behavior. When taking the highway on ramp near my house, I'd take it a little shallow because the back would step out a little on the bumps, well first time or two, I took it almost too shallow! I'm used to it now, and the back end tracks very well, now. I'm very happy with my purchase!
Don't like to do this, but the way you're describing this is incorrect, and misinformation spreads like wildfire on the internet, so...

If anything, adding or increasing the size of a rear swaybar (or otherwise increasing rear roll stiffness in any way) will tend to make the back end of the car "step out" (oversteer) more in a turn, not less. Remember, a rear swaybar is transferring weight from the outside rear tire to the inside front, it's giving you LESS grip in the rear... but that's generally not a problem in a FWD car.

Perhaps you're referring to body roll? The car will certainly roll a lot less with more rear roll stiffness, and as you said, it will feel a lot more planted.

BTW, Garm sells two different Ultra Racing bars, a 19mm and a 23mm. Which one is this?

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:36 AM   #7
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
^^

Would it be incorrect if I stated that when it rains or theres alot of water on the road, I FEEL it even that I have to drive slower around bends on the freeway and such because it FEELS like the rear is going to kick out, as compared to when not having the rear sway bar?

I like the installation pics and description of the poster!
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:59 AM   #8
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Drives: Yaris 1.5 Manual
I guess expectations cause the placebo effect.
TTE Lowering Springs, Camber bolts
TRD Blue brake pads
Fujitsubo Super Wagolis axleback exhaust
DC Sports header
cleong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:06 AM   #9
justjesus

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
Don't like to do this, but the way you're describing this is incorrect, and misinformation spreads like wildfire on the internet, so...
Thanks for keeping us informed of the right info! !

I still haven't decided which sway bar to go with
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:10 AM   #10
BLAZINBLUEVITZ

Drives: 2007 YARIS 3DOOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjesus View Post
Thanks for keeping us informed of the right info! !

I still haven't decided which sway bar to go with
the bigger 23mm cause others would look up to you.....
Old 04-28-2009, 11:18 AM   #11
Loren
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroiter View Post
^^

Would it be incorrect if I stated that when it rains or theres alot of water on the road, I FEEL it even that I have to drive slower around bends on the freeway and such because it FEELS like the rear is going to kick out, as compared to when not having the rear sway bar?

I like the installation pics and description of the poster!
That is a better description. Without the bar, you FEEL like the rear is going to kick out because of all the body roll back there.

But, in reality, the back end is ACTUALLY more likely to kick out with the rear bar in place. That's an important thing to be aware of. It's one of the downsides of big swaybars. They increase confidence by reducing body roll and making the car FEEL better... but, at the limit, they often have effects that the driver doesn't realize... until it's too late. They make the car less forgiving to big driver errors.

Find a safe place to push the limits of your car and learn what it's going to do! (even if your car is completely stock)

Old 04-28-2009, 11:22 AM   #12
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ A pretty good sized empty parking lot will do
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:27 AM   #13
detroiter

That is what I was reffering to Loren, that since Ive had my bar installed...it FEELS like the rear is more apt to kick out while going around bends on the freeway during wet and rainy weather. Almost like you can feel it getting to a threshold and you know you have to lay off the speed a little bit or it's gonna come on out on the bends, even though your not really flying or going all that fast down the expressway.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:31 AM   #14
Loren
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroiter View Post
That is what I was reffering to Loren, that since Ive had my bar installed...it FEELS like the rear is more apt to kick out while going around bends on the freeway during wet and rainy weather. Almost like you can feel it getting to a threshold and you know you have to lay off the speed a little bit or it's gonna come on out on the bends, even though your not really flying or going all that fast down the expressway.
YES! Now you're talking sense. You really ARE at the cusp of losing the back end when you push it on those wet sweeping turns. Slowing down there is good... but... don't abruptly lift off the gas, and don't even think about touching the brake in that situation. Shift too much weight forward off of the rear tires that are already barely gripping and around you go!

Old 04-28-2009, 11:50 AM   #15
detroiter

I'm used to winter driving, the ice and snow, etc so I've learned the best thing to not hit the brakes or anything else, just lay off the accelerator and let it coast down on it's own instead of trying to make it stop.

By the way, love that BRG car of yours!
Old 04-28-2009, 12:50 PM   #16
WolfWings

Drives: Silver 2007 3Dr - Gryph
[QUOTE]
If anything, adding or increasing the size of a rear swaybar (or otherwise increasing rear roll stiffness in any way) will tend to make the back end of the car "step out" (oversteer) more in a turn, not less. Remember, a rear swaybar is transferring weight from the outside rear tire to the inside front, it's giving you LESS grip in the rear... but that's generally not a problem in a FWD car.

Perhaps you're referring to body roll? The car will certainly roll a lot less with more rear roll stiffness, and as you said, it will feel a lot more planted.
[QUOTE]

I think he means he used to specifically push it into understeer on the on-ramp, and would aim 'too shallow' to compensate. He has enough grip now the car's going where he aimed, which was still 'too shallow' which was now a problem.

Last edited by WolfWings; 04-28-2009 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Bah... I give up, live with the quote marks...
WolfWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:03 PM   #17
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post

BTW, Garm sells two different Ultra Racing bars, a 19mm and a 23mm. Which one is this?
Well funny enough when I ordered a month and 1/2 ago only the 19mm was available so that's what I got. As far as the whole stepping out issue, I am big proponent of preventing misinformation, so I understand why you posted this. I'm not sure how a rear sway bar transfers weight to the inside front wheel, but I'm just saying how it feels to me. The back end used to hop around every time there was a bump or dip in the pavement. The back end has calmed down, now that I have my sway bar on. Maybe I'm wrong and maybe I haven't pushed it enough to tell the true difference before and after. It seems to me, that it transfers force from the outside rear wheel to the inside rear wheel, allowing less body roll and keeping both rear wheels more firmly planted.

Now I'm not an expert, nor do I claim to be, so I would like to know if/how I'm wrong. I'm not too proud to believe I'm always right, so please let me know if I am in error.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:24 PM   #18
Loren
What?

Read the thread I started about the 23mm bar, especially the first post. It has a pretty good explanation of how the rear bar works. It is admittedly counter-intuitive if you're not well-versed in the black art of suspension tuning.