Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-05-2019, 11:24 AM   #19
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008RedHatch View Post
FWIW, Toyota has a "long term partnership" with Mazda, since 2015.
Most of us are aware...and not fans of it lol.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 11:44 AM   #20
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Most of us are aware...and not fans of it lol.
Still not as bad as the toyota cavalier

The toyota - GM partnership was responsible for the Pontiac Vibe (Matrix), though...one of my favorite cars.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:43 PM   #21
suprf1y

Drives: 05 Echo
As well as the 80's Chevy Nova.

Say what you want about the Toyota Cavalier but they were very reliable and fairly quick for their time
suprf1y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 01:14 PM   #22
Leegamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprf1y View Post
As well as the 80's Chevy Nova.

Say what you want about the Toyota Cavalier but they were very reliable and fairly quick for their time
I have heard that they have a lot of potential, especially with the 2.4
Old 02-05-2019, 01:23 PM   #23
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
2020 mazda2 based yaris hatch would be nice.

i still prefer the 12-14 yaris
Old 02-05-2019, 01:32 PM   #24
ern-diz

Yeah, and let us not forget the mighty Geo Prizm!

Amirite, guys?

Guys?

Kidding aside, I just don't like the partnerships. They feel like a bait and switch to me. With more exclusive models, like the Supra, it feels to me like the car is soulless because of the partnership. I don't care that it might be more reliable, or whatever other rational I hear about it. If I wanted a Chevy, I'd go to a Chevy lot. If I want a Mazda, I'll go to a Mazda lot. Don't sell me a Mazda with a Toyota sticker on it. Seems like common sense and not something consumers should have to ask for.

On Wheelwell
Old 02-05-2019, 01:41 PM   #25
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegamer View Post
Still not as bad as the toyota cavalier

The toyota - GM partnership was responsible for the Pontiac Vibe (Matrix), though...one of my favorite cars.

Wtf!!!!! Mind blown

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 02:07 PM   #26
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Quote:
Yeah, and let us not forget the mighty Geo Prizm!

Amirite, guys?

Guys?

Kidding aside, I just don't like the partnerships. They feel like a bait and switch to me. With more exclusive models, like the Supra, it feels to me like the car is soulless because of the partnership. I don't care that it might be more reliable, or whatever other rational I hear about it. If I wanted a Chevy, I'd go to a Chevy lot. If I want a Mazda, I'll go to a Mazda lot. Don't sell me a Mazda with a Toyota sticker on it. Seems like common sense and not something consumers should have to ask for.
i loved the crap out of my vibe GT's...toyota engineering + GM badge depreciation

Old 02-05-2019, 03:58 PM   #27
Leegamer

My wife bought a vibe base model brand new in 05. She still DDs it with 250k miles on it.

We're probably getting her a new car later this year and I plan to find a rough matrix XR-S or Vibe GT and swap the 2zz into her car.

What suspension setup were you running on your vibes?
Old 02-05-2019, 04:31 PM   #28
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
I don't know... That green Cavalier looks nice with those mesh wheels(never thought I'd say that!).
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 06:10 PM   #29
suprf1y

Drives: 05 Echo
Quote:

Kidding aside, I just don't like the partnerships. They feel like a bait and switch to me. I don't care that it might be more reliable, or whatever other rational I hear about it. If I wanted a Chevy, I'd go to a Chevy lot. If I want a Mazda, I'll go to a Mazda lot. Don't sell me a Mazda with a Toyota sticker on it. Seems like common sense and not something consumers should have to ask for.
Once you start looking into platforms, their development, and the platform sharing going on between manufacturers it's amazing who's using what to build what appears to be completely different cars. It's rampant in the industry now. Even GM and Ford are co-developing transmissions. I never thought I would see those two work together.
suprf1y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 01:33 AM   #30
2008RedHatch

Drives: 2018 Yaris LE liftback, 2020
I've seen a few posts in other forums complaining about Toyota-Mazda based Yaris, and I say 'get over it'. So what? Making it sound like they are like Chevy Chevettes.

Someone pointed out GM collaboration and turned out to be OK. GM's bankruptcy killed NUMMI, which had a good rep.
2008RedHatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:17 AM   #31
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008RedHatch View Post
I've seen a few posts in other forums complaining about Toyota-Mazda based Yaris, and I say 'get over it'. So what? Making it sound like they are like Chevy Chevettes.

Someone pointed out GM collaboration and turned out to be OK. GM's bankruptcy killed NUMMI, which had a good rep.
agreed! i've got no issues with mazda whatsoever. my only thought is would a mazda dealership be better equiped to handle diagnostics since it's 99.9% mazda?
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 11:17 AM   #32
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprf1y View Post
Once you start looking into platforms, their development, and the platform sharing going on between manufacturers it's amazing who's using what to build what appears to be completely different cars. It's rampant in the industry now. Even GM and Ford are co-developing transmissions. I never thought I would see those two work together.
I know, it's terrible lol.

On Wheelwell
Old 02-06-2019, 11:23 AM   #33
Leegamer

I'm not really brand loyal so I don't care that much. As long as they're producing a quality product why do I care who makes it? It's not like Toyota was building every single part on every car in the 90s.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:32 AM   #34
ern-diz

Has nothing to do with brand loyalty. I'm not a die hard Toyota fan. I've owned other brands and probably wouldn't buy a Toyota if I had to replace my Yaris today. As I said before, it feels like a bait and switch to me. If I ask for chocolate, don't give me vanilla with a 'chocolate' label on it.

On Wheelwell
Old 02-06-2019, 11:43 AM   #35
Leegamer

Quote:
Has nothing to do with brand loyalty. I'm not a die hard Toyota fan. I've owned other brands and probably wouldn't buy a Toyota if I had to replace my Yaris today. As I said before, it feels like a bait and switch to me. If I ask for chocolate, don't give me vanilla with a 'chocolate' label on it.
That's a valid point. Maybe if they advertised it a little more we'd be more comfortable with it. At the end of the day I don't think most consumers care who makes it, though.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:30 PM   #36
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
My 2017 Buick Encore has an Opel platform (Opel, Rüsselsheim, Germany) and the car is assembled in Korea... where it gets an Opel, Vauxhall, or Buick badge. My 2018 GMC Terrain also has an Opel platform and the car is assembled in Mexico. In both cases, most consumers believe they are buying truly "American" cars. Many would be very disappointed to discover they aren't. I'm not; in fact, it's the very reason the cars are actually reliable. I'm extremely happy with both.

However, when I buy a Toyota, I want to be confident I'm getting genuine Toyota quality and Toyota's legendary long term reliability. If I wanted a Subaru, Mazda, or BMW... I'd go to the respective dealers.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote