Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-09-2010, 03:02 PM   #1
rudiel

Drives: Black HB, 17" TenzoR rims
VVT-I setup

A friend of mine told me that he shortened a spring on the VVT-I on his car to activate it on lower rpms, is this possible? If so, can it damage the car in a short term? Thanks.
rudiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 03:06 PM   #2
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
vvt is always active....it doesnt "kick-in" at any rpm in particular
Old 04-09-2010, 03:24 PM   #3
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

It's also not controlled by spring tension, as a mechanical governor is. The mechanism for rotating the intake cam is controlled directly by the ECU, which opens and closes a hydraulic valve to actuate it for advancing or retarding the cam and gets feedback on the actual cam timing from the camshaft position sensor and crankshaft position sensor. This is why they call it VVT-i. "Variable Valve Timing with intelligence."
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:15 PM   #4
rudiel

He gave me a ride a couple minutes ago to test his car. I notice an increase in acceleration at around 3,500 rpm. Now i am confused, you guys telling me it pretty much doesnt work and me feeling some gain on the car lol. Keep the comments going, they are appreciated.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:31 PM   #5
Dadombomb15

Drives: 1996 Miata
maybe on a VVTL-i, but VVT-i engines don't have this "spring" you're talking about. On the VVTL-i, the spring you're talking about connects the slipper follower to the rocker arm. When the rpm's are above the set lift point, oil pressure slides a pin under each rocker arm switching it to the higher lobe of the camshaft giving it more lift for lengthier periods of time

VVTL-I engines have that extra kick but most of the time it isn't seen until far after 3500 rpm. my dad had an '07 Lotus Exige S for a while with the VVTL-i engine and damn did it move. then again it has a supercharger and an intercooler.
Performance: Corksport "Drift" Cat-Back Exhaust, Hard Dog Ace Double Diagonal Roll Bar
Future (planned) mods: Intake, bumper turning light "induction" kit, better aftermarket wheels (lighter), light flywheel, upgraded clutch, racing seats, etc etc.
Dadombomb15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 02:40 PM   #6
rudiel

Its a VVT-I. Tis is weird! lol
Old 04-10-2010, 06:33 PM   #7
Dadombomb15

is the car bone stock?
Performance: Corksport "Drift" Cat-Back Exhaust, Hard Dog Ace Double Diagonal Roll Bar
Future (planned) mods: Intake, bumper turning light "induction" kit, better aftermarket wheels (lighter), light flywheel, upgraded clutch, racing seats, etc etc.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:56 PM   #8
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
look at a dyno of a stock Yaris. You'll see why you feel something at 3500 rpm. It's not necessarily the VVT-i
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:10 PM   #9
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
VVT-I JUST KICKED IN YO.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:11 PM   #10
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadombomb15 View Post
maybe on a VVTL-i, but VVT-i engines don't have this "spring" you're talking about. On the VVTL-i, the spring you're talking about connects the slipper follower to the rocker arm. When the rpm's are above the set lift point, oil pressure slides a pin under each rocker arm switching it to the higher lobe of the camshaft giving it more lift for lengthier periods of time

VVTL-I engines have that extra kick but most of the time it isn't seen until far after 3500 rpm. my dad had an '07 Lotus Exige S for a while with the VVTL-i engine and damn did it move. then again it has a supercharger and an intercooler.
Don't forget the car weighs 1 ounce.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:15 PM   #11
Dadombomb15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddongbap View Post
Don't forget the car weighs 1 ounce.
this is true haha
fun as all hell to drive, greatly miss it
Old 04-10-2010, 10:55 PM   #12
rudiel

CAI, exhaust, fuel regulator i believe
Old 04-10-2010, 10:57 PM   #13
rudiel

ddong u an idiot lol
Old 04-11-2010, 12:32 AM   #14
YarisPR

Drives: Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudiel View Post
ddong u an idiot lol
El VVT-I en los 1nz NO activa. Si se siente mas fuerte a ciertas revoluciones pero NO es un V-Tec o VVTL-i. So NO activa. Veta a dar una vuelta en tu carro ventanas arriba y aire apagado y pisalo en una recta, vas a sentir como por las 5,550rpm "activa" pero NO activa na' es q se siente mas.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:45 AM   #15
hondakiller99

Drives: 05 Scion xA
um , isnt vvt-i activated 24/7 and ran off the throttle pos. sensor and retards when ur not beating the piss out of it and advances when u have the pedal to the asphalt?
hondakiller99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:51 PM   #16
victorcr

Drives: YARIS T-SPORT
Send a message via MSN to victorcr
yaris es toda caminan rico
victorcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:52 PM   #17
victorcr

Drives: YARIS T-SPORT
Send a message via MSN to victorcr
Si Se Puede poner una Trabajar Mejor El VVT -i aqui en Costa Rica lo Hacen vale 1000 dolares Trabajo de El
victorcr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rpm, vvt-i, vvti