Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-25-2023, 05:10 AM   #1
Branderrp

Drives: Yaris 2006 NCP91R
Gasoline smell after working on the fuel pump

Model: Toyota Yaris 2006 Hatch
Engine: 1NZ-FE
No check engine lights appear

Hi all,

Is anyone else having issues with a gasoline smell coming through after doing any work that requires opening the fuel pump located in the rear seat?

Initially I may have not tightened the retainer cap enough and accidentally installed the fuel tank main tube incorrectly which then started to cause the smell. I have accidentally topped off the fuel which caused it to spill from the tank itself (not from the fill area) which I'm guessing was due my two mistakes above. It has not leaked or spilled ever since and I don't get any odors when filling up

I've followed the repair manual in order ensuring:
- I installed the fuel tank main tube correctly
- I tightened the retainer to what it said which was 540 degree clockwise from the starting point and aligned it to the marks on the tank (which was very very tight lol)

After driving it around, the smell comes in the cabin slightly and I believe it's the vapor that is leaking out since there is no longer a hissing sound when I open the gas cap. I believe it could be coming from the fuel pump but I'm wondering if anyone else had the same issue?

Update 28/12/223
Mechanic said it's the o-ring that sits between the tank and the fuel pump assembly

Update #2
After replacing the retainer cap and o-ring (installing it per the instructions), the fuel pump did not click and caused it to spill from the top of the tank

[SOLVED] Update #3 29/12/23
Mechanic said that there's a poor seal between the top of the fuel pump and retainer cap. They added an additional gasket that goes between the retainer and the top of the fuel pump assembly and tightened it. Problem fixed. Not required to turn the retainer cap to 540° (sealed at 495°)

Last edited by Branderrp; 01-13-2024 at 06:51 AM. Reason: SOLVED
Branderrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 08:25 AM   #2
Sílfa

Drives: Toyota Corolla
In this instance, the retainer needed to be tightened to 540 degrees clockwise from the starting point and aligned to the marks on the tank.
Sílfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 06:52 AM   #3
Branderrp

Drives: Yaris 2006 NCP91R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sílfa View Post
In this instance, the retainer needed to be tightened to 540 degrees clockwise from the starting point and aligned to the marks on the tank.
I did do that before which surprisingly didn't work. The mechanics told me I actually did everything correctly on the manual but it still didn't seal properly for some reason. They said it was a design issue with Toyota since they had a similar issue with Corolla's doing that. Fortunately there hasn't been any issue since
Branderrp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, gasoline, leak, pump, smell