Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-30-2009, 02:14 PM   #1
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
NST Pulleys + Automatic Transmission

In the main NST Pulley thread, there is a bit of dancing around inquiries about this product coupled with an A/T.

Given that it is currently a 335 post thread and having just suffered through a search to find information, I thought a new thread specific to automatic owners be started. Initially no modding was being planned for 2009, but if these pulleys on an A/T yield similar results to what M/Ts are claiming, I will probably entertain this mod.

Might be nice to be a member of the crowd chanting 'NST FTW!'
Old 01-30-2009, 02:52 PM   #2
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
What are your concerns? I think it's been well established that NST pulleys are high quality and generate a little bit of additional power. Maybe I can answer any further questions that you have.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 03:09 PM   #3
WeeYari

No concerns really. I'm not concerned about the quality of the product as I, along with many others, suffered through the great pre-hack debate about NST vs OEM.

Like Mike in his pleadings for people to post up their experiences and reviews, I am looking for much the same but specific to installs on automatics.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:58 PM   #4
RagnaCaT
HacKers WanTed!

Drives: Yaris S HB & Yaris S SD
The gains that you will see are the same as tha M/T only in your Power Range if an M/T doesn't breakit an A/T won't be close to breaking believe I got both tranny's at Home
Old 01-30-2009, 06:42 PM   #5
Jerkratt

Drives: 08 Yaris Liftback S (RIP 07)
Send a message via AIM to Jerkratt
i had the lightweight crank on my automatic 07 when i had it before it got totaled... the other two pulleys where not avalible at the time.. i now have all three on my MT and there is a noticable differance with all three
Old 01-30-2009, 07:27 PM   #6
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
I have the pulley set on my AT LB. I put so many mods in the span of two weeks that I cannot attribute a specific improvement to any one mod. There was one mod that was not mistakeable in its effect, but it did require a few more dollars than the rest.
LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:31 PM   #7
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
has anyone dynoed on the same day with and without the pullies? or is everyone's info based on butt dyno? i run all stock pullies on my setup and have never really even considered lightweight stuff.. except my fidanza flywheel of course.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:42 PM   #8
xen555

Drives: 3 DOORS LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagnaCaT View Post
The gains that you will see are the same as tha M/T only in your Power Range if an M/T doesn't breakit an A/T won't be close to breaking believe I got both tranny's at Home
estoy a punto de comprar la 10% Underdrive Crank Pulley, vos decis que vale la pena la diferencia??? que mas le tenes al carro?
xen555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:50 PM   #9
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by xen555 View Post
estoy a punto de comprar la 10% Underdrive Crank Pulley, vos decis que vale la pena la diferencia??? que mas le tenes al carro?
si, senor, es muy explosivo
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:52 PM   #10
WeeYari

Quote:
Can I have a translation please.

I see that you are getting ready to purchase a set and you're an automatic. Please keep me updated here. Thanks
Old 01-30-2009, 08:11 PM   #11
xen555

Drives: 3 DOORS LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Can I have a translation please.

I see that you are getting ready to purchase a set and you're an automatic. Please keep me updated here. Thanks
im asking if it worth the money this mod, maybe i order the pulley next week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
si, senor, es muy explosivo
alguna otra modificacion que me aconsejes?
estoy por abrirle completamente la parte de abajo del airbox
ya que le tengo puesto un K&N drop in filter
(consegui una en un yunker)
xen555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:36 PM   #12
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
has anyone dynoed on the same day with and without the pullies? or is everyone's info based on butt dyno?
Holdener published dynos showing approx. 3 whp gain with the crank pulley. I *think* he was testing the 10% underdrive one.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:35 PM   #13
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
The first mod I did on my o7 with AT was the pullies....all 3. When the underdrive crank was introduced that went on. No problems at all.

It would be the butt dyno talking and it says there is a difference.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:29 AM   #14
NonStopTuning

Drives: NST CARS: S13 AE86 ANT10 AW11
As I have stated several times... the principles of weight reduction and underdriving apply the same way, regardless of transmission type. Weight reduction is very noticeable when it is performed in the rotating assembly. The gains are there, and they are real. We have a large number of automatic owners buying these pulleys.... sadly, as much as I beg and bump and plead, people don't seem to want to post up...

Consider this analogy... Person A weighs 300lbs and goes on a diet, sheds 10% of his weight. Will he notice a difference? Person B weighs 250lbs and goes on a diet, sheds 10% of his weight. Will he notice a difference? The answer should be yes, they will both notice the benefits of weight reduction, even though they started out at different weights.

For those who don't consider pulleys a "worthwhile" modification... I find it interesting that many of the same people invest in lighter wheels, body panels, and especially lightweight flywheels. The concept is the same. In fact, weight reduction in the rotating assembly yields better gains than similar weight reduction performed elsewhere.

Good luck and have fun with all your projects everyone!

NonStopTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 07:01 AM   #15
RagnaCaT
HacKers WanTed!

Drives: Yaris S HB & Yaris S SD
Quote:
Si va a comprar ese pulley la deferencia va ser mas notable que pipa o intake pues mi carro esta STOCK pulley y un filtro TRD original.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:58 AM   #16
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonStopTuning View Post
As I have stated several times... the principles of weight reduction and underdriving apply the same way, regardless of transmission type. Weight reduction is very noticeable when it is performed in the rotating assembly. The gains are there, and they are real. We have a large number of automatic owners buying these pulleys.... sadly, as much as I beg and bump and plead, people don't seem to want to post up...

Consider this analogy... Person A weighs 300lbs and goes on a diet, sheds 10% of his weight. Will he notice a difference? Person B weighs 250lbs and goes on a diet, sheds 10% of his weight. Will he notice a difference? The answer should be yes, they will both notice the benefits of weight reduction, even though they started out at different weights.

For those who don't consider pulleys a "worthwhile" modification... I find it interesting that many of the same people invest in lighter wheels, body panels, and especially lightweight flywheels. The concept is the same. In fact, weight reduction in the rotating assembly yields better gains than similar weight reduction performed elsewhere.

Good luck and have fun with all your projects everyone!
it's also important to note that the accessories under the hood turn at rates sometimes exceeding 3X that of engine RPM depending on the pulley ratio. weight reduction on these "higher RPM" pullies would definitely be beneficial, however, those pulleys are still turning "stuff" that applies resistance to your engine.

i went to a clutch/flywheel setup that was 5lbs lighter than stock (would have been more but i went to a stage3 clutch and that pressureplate was HEAVY) and i really didn't notice any power gains. revs dropped off faster (had to re-learn heel-toe downshifting) but the car really didn't feel any more powerful. that's one of the reasons i never did lightweight pullies, cost vs hp it just didn't add up for my very very cheap budget.

either way y'all make quality parts, and that's what matters!
you nailed it sir.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:33 AM   #17
Aothachos
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Aothachos Send a message via Yahoo to Aothachos
trust me just get them, i have a AT sedan, i put the 10% underdrive pulley on first and tested it out for a couple weeks and it was such a good increase in throttle response and so much better. and then i had the water pump and alternator pulley installed and wow, power i felt a little difference but to me with this car is a big difference. I suggest it deffinatly
Aothachos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:29 PM   #18
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
it's also important to note that the accessories under the hood turn at rates sometimes exceeding 3X that of engine RPM depending on the pulley ratio. weight reduction on these "higher RPM" pullies would definitely be beneficial, however, those pulleys are still turning "stuff" that applies resistance to your engine.

i went to a clutch/flywheel setup that was 5lbs lighter than stock (would have been more but i went to a stage3 clutch and that pressureplate was HEAVY) and i really didn't notice any power gains. revs dropped off faster (had to re-learn heel-toe downshifting) but the car really didn't feel any more powerful. that's one of the reasons i never did lightweight pullies, cost vs hp it just didn't add up for my very very cheap budget.

either way y'all make quality parts, and that's what matters!
Yep, in that sense the regular lightweight pulleys offer mainly the improvement of faster engine response (had to readjust my shifting too ), but the underdrive ones will affect the parasitic drag which does have a measurable effect on performance.

But back on topic, from what I understand, even the lightweight pulley on an AT leads to the transmission feeling much more lively. It won't be as noticeable a difference as with a MT, but it ought to help make the driving more enjoyable

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote