Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-23-2017, 04:07 PM   #1
Spellino

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007 Sedan
Corrosion on terminal

Yaris World, what causes this on the battery terminals? Sedan 2007. And what should I do?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_20171021_081443-01.jpeg (190.5 KB, 69 views)
Spellino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:30 PM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
In my experience the more miles you put on your car, the more battery terminal corrosion there is. You can largely prevent the corrosion by thoroughly greasing the terminals with wheel bearing grease.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:34 PM   #3
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
It's a chemical reaction that occurs when dissimilar metals are in contact with each other. Disconnect battery, clean terminals and connectors, and coat with dielectric grease.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2017, 05:24 PM   #4
xdarkxfirex

Drives: 2015 yaris le
Just clean it very well, use baking soda and water to neutralize the acid. You can also use those felt protectors on the terminals, but as long as it isnt producing too much corrosion, a good clean every once in a while should be fine.
xdarkxfirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 03:03 AM   #5
Spellino

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007 Sedan
Thank you all
Spellino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 09:23 AM   #6
Lux

Drives: NCP91
Battery terminal corrosion is usually caused by vapour released from the battery during operation as it reacts with the elements and attracts to electrically charged contacts.

Disconnect both terminals and clean using an alkaline solution to neutralise it. Use baking soda and water mixed as a paste and scrub with a brush. Dry and reattach the terminals to the battery posts.

Do not use grease. It is a fire hazard and has a propensity to migrate uncontrollably under high temperatures. Sometimes it will bleed and inhibit contact because it is an electrical insulator.

Coat the terminals with Würth battery protector spray or a similar product that will cauterise into a hard coating and will shield the terminals.

It would be prudent to also clean the ground contact to the chassis or transaxle case during the same procedure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1456059.jpg (84.4 KB, 60 views)
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:31 AM   #7
white89gt

Drives: 07 Yaris Hatch
Good info Lux.... Grounds are the most important thing on modern cars.
white89gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 04:18 AM   #8
bronsin

I've used we'll bearing grease on battery terminals for 40 years. No fires. I've also tried the sprays And the felt rings. Not anywhere near as good as wheel bearing grease.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:07 AM   #9
Lux

Drives: NCP91
Yeah you're right, grease has worked fine for many years, but it's no longer a suitable all-inclusive, end-all solution to corrosion.

Many vehicles have a battery condition sensor integrated into one of the terminals and, for them, grease would not advisable.

I had a car come in with a burning smell and erratic fault lamps among other electrical gremlins. That battery sensor on the terminal suffered an internal malfunction from a manufacturer error, causing high impedence and arcing. I last measured the terminal's temperature at 226 degrees centigrade with my calibrated infrared pyrometer, and it was continuing to soar.

Had that car's terminals been coated with grease, it might have been on the news instead of my hoist.
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 10:45 AM   #10
zerosl

Drives: 2008 Yaris S Hatchback
I have this issue on my battery because the previous owner hackjob installed HIDs and it really puts hit on the electrical system. I have used baking soda to clean the terminals, but the blue/white fuzz comes back strong.

I can replace the battery easily, but will definitely use some sort of grease or the battery terminal protector when I do replace it
zerosl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 12:37 PM   #11
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
Yeah you're right, grease has worked fine for many years, but it's no longer a suitable all-inclusive, end-all solution to corrosion.

Many vehicles have a battery condition sensor integrated into one of the terminals and, for them, grease would not advisable.

I had a car come in with a burning smell and erratic fault lamps among other electrical gremlins. That battery sensor on the terminal suffered an internal malfunction from a manufacturer error, causing high impedence and arcing. I last measured the terminal's temperature at 226 degrees centigrade with my calibrated infrared pyrometer, and it was continuing to soar.

Had that car's terminals been coated with grease, it might have been on the news instead of my hoist.
Huh I guess Im an old timer not up on current events.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:51 PM   #12
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerosl View Post
I have this issue on my battery because the previous owner hackjob installed HIDs and it really puts hit on the electrical system. I have used baking soda to clean the terminals, but the blue/white fuzz comes back strong.

I can replace the battery easily, but will definitely use some sort of grease or the battery terminal protector when I do replace it
HID can't cause battery terminals to corrode. Infact, they consume anywhere between 35-55w depending on the kit, so they can't put any extra load on the electrical system.

I'm reading about this white and blue stuff coming out of the terminal is caused by lead acid batteries not being charged enough. And usually happen on the negative terminal.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2017, 01:54 PM   #13
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post

Battery condition sensor should be sealed and waterproof. Grease wouldn't affect it. Usually is a box after the terminal, so you wouldn't grease over it, or spray all over it anyways.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk