Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-06-2012, 09:35 PM   #1
Topaz540i

Drives: 07 yaris
Bad trans bearing

Hi, this is my dad's car so im not to familiar with it yet but i intend to repair it soon. I have more than adaquate knowledge of cars (hopped up 350hp bmw540 6speed) to attempt this myself. I even have a 12 ton press at home if necessary to push the new bearing in.

The car is a 2008 yaris auto w/ 60k miles with a bad vibration in one wheel.
he has isolated it to a bearing in the transmission where the halfshaft inserts. He says he can see the slop in it.
i havent seen it with my own eyes yet....

I am hoping i can simply pull the axle out and replace the bearing without removing the trans from the car. Is this possible?

Where can i get some exploded view parts diagrams so i can see what it looks like before i rip it apart and realize i didnt order enough stuff?
Is this a common failure for a car with this few miles?

Btw... Possibly related, last time i drove the car it would make a weird quack noise as i accelerated away from a traffic light. I was only able to make it happen twice so far, I think it was the auto shift into second when it happened. It sounded almost as if the horn was lightly honking one time real fast. At first i thought the horn was short circuiting a loose wire as i accelerated but im not sure anymore. It sounded like it came from the center of the car near the firewall. Hard to tell while driving from the interior.

Any hints anyone can throw me before i dig into the bearing?
Topaz540i is offline   Reply With Quote