Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Photo-Video-Media Gallery
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-02-2015, 04:13 PM   #1
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Yaris Police Car

Just back from my European vacation. Saw a good amount of Yarii on the continent. Here's a couple of shots of a Yaris police car I saw in Florence, Italy. There's also a bonus shot of a Yaris taxi on the streets of Milan.
Attached Images

NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 04:23 PM   #2
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:35 PM   #3
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Hmm burns half the gas and probably zero repairs....
Old 07-02-2015, 10:15 PM   #4
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Cool photos. The front grille of the police cruiser is big, but so much better looking than the US version!!!
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 04:23 AM   #5
ABSPLASTIC

Drives: Twin-charged rotary V8 w/nos
Well they wont't be catching up to anyone with that! lol
ABSPLASTIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:33 AM   #6
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABSPLASTIC View Post
I wouldn't be so sure. Coming home one night two monster pickup trucks racing each other tried to pass my ECHO on a two lane bridge simultaneously. I saw sparks fly as one of them clipped the guardrail with his fender. There just isn't room on a two lane road for three vehicles even if one of them is an ECHO!

My car was unscathed and I made the next left to head for my house through the neighborhood. One of the trucks decided what happened was all my fault and started chasing me! I outran him making frequent left and right turns every 100 yards or so. I abused that engine for all it was worth. That little engine makes 106 hp which is a lot for 1500cc and it revs very high because of the shim under bucket solid valve train. Just like a motorcycles!

Another time in the ECHO I was on the NJTPK in heavy traffic. There was a left lane blocker in a Volvo who wouldn't let anyone else pass. He'd speed up when anyone tried to pass him on the right. I was just hanging out watching the fun but suddenly l found myself along side him with a pretty open road ahead. I put my foot on the floor and left it there. I was going warp 5 and didn't dare take my eyes off the road! He matched my speed but after 15 seconds or so backed off and I pulled ahead into the left hand lane. (three lanes) Before I slowed down I took a glance at the speedo. It said 106!
Old 07-03-2015, 09:08 AM   #7
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
I wouldn't be so sure. Coming home one night two monster pickup trucks racing each other tried to pass my ECHO on a two lane bridge simultaneously. I saw sparks fly as one of them clipped the guardrail with his fender. There just isn't room on a two lane road for three vehicles even if one of them is an ECHO!

My car was unscathed and I made the next left to head for my house through the neighborhood. One of the trucks decided what happened was all my fault and started chasing me! I outran him making frequent left and right turns every 100 yards or so. I abused that engine for all it was worth. That little engine makes 106 hp which is a lot for 1500cc and it revs very high because of the shim under bucket solid valve train. Just like a motorcycles!

Another time in the ECHO I was on the NJTPK in heavy traffic. There was a left lane blocker in a Volvo who wouldn't let anyone else pass. He'd speed up when anyone tried to pass him on the right. I was just hanging out watching the fun but suddenly l found myself along side him with a pretty open road ahead. I put my foot on the floor and left it there. I was going warp 5 and didn't dare take my eyes off the road! He matched my speed but after 15 seconds or so backed off and I pulled ahead into the left hand lane. (three lanes) Before I slowed down I took a glance at the speedo. It said 106!
Years ago a girlfriend and I rented a car in Sorrento. We drove to many different places, and eventually returned the car at the airport in Rome. We drove to Firenze and used that as a base to explore other areas. We were lucky enough to find a small, very reasonably priced hotel (just across the Arno from the center of the city) that had a private parking lot with a fence around the perimeter. New roads have likely added to the mix of streets since then, but I can't imagine that they have an abundance of high speed chases within 'city limits' .
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:31 AM   #8
bronsin

I recon these people are taking their frustrations out in life on their driving.

They might be better at taking life as it comes in Italy!
Old 07-05-2015, 07:42 AM   #9
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
That police Yaris is HSD..
Old 07-05-2015, 09:15 AM   #10
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
I believe you're right. That's got to be what the badge is just rear of the 'circled 31'.
Old 07-05-2015, 12:37 PM   #11
NYC-SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
Yes it was a hybrid.
Old 07-05-2015, 01:03 PM   #12
NYC-SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABSPLASTIC View Post
Don't be so sure. While it's true many cars can outrun it, within the city center of Florence there is very few areas where they would have the opportunity to do so. Sooner or later, most likely very sooner, they would be stuck in traffic. The slow and steady Yaris would be right behind.

Most police cars in Italian cities are small cars. It's only on the highway that you'll find faster (but still small) cars.
Old 07-05-2015, 04:03 PM   #13
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
Don't be so sure. While it's true many cars can outrun it, within the city center of Florence there is very few areas where they would have the opportunity to do so. Sooner or later, most likely very sooner, they would be stuck in traffic. The slow and steady Yaris would be right behind.
That's what I was getting at in post #7. Sounds as though things haven't changed much (a good thing) .

Quote:
Most police cars in Italian cities are small cars. It's only on the highway that you'll find faster (but still small) cars.
Ahhh. thinking Autostrada . Wish we'd been able to drive it in something other than a new but fairly slow rental car.