Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-04-2017, 04:15 PM   #1
miiser

Drives: yaris 2009
Amp or HU first?

Hi,
I recently changed the front speakers of my car. Result: Sound quality not that great as I thought it will be.
I missing quality bass (it's sounds like I have wooden speakers lol).

So what should I do next? HU or amp?
HU is more expensive since I have to change the console plastics aswell and buy adapter for the steering wheel buttons.

Amp is cheaper cause all I need is wiring. Plus I can drive wires to the rear doors and place another 2 speakers since my rear doors does not have speakers at the moment.

I don't want a bass that will keep my neighbors awake all night (so sub is out of the question), I want some quality to it and some depth.

Speakers I bought = jvc cs-j620x

Amp =~ 120 €
HU =~ 250+ €

I really need suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
miiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:31 PM   #2
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
First, make sure you didn't reverse the polarity on one of the speakers. That will cause sound from one speaker to get canceled out by the other resulting in pour bass.

Next I'd go with a HU first. Their built in amps are much better than the factory Toyota HU.

If you only go with an amp, you're only amplifying the pour sound quality of the factory HU.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 02:35 AM   #3
miiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
First, make sure you didn't reverse the polarity on one of the speakers. That will cause sound from one speaker to get canceled out by the other resulting in pour bass.

Next I'd go with a HU first. Their built in amps are much better than the factory Toyota HU.

If you only go with an amp, you're only amplifying the pour sound quality of the factory HU.

I checked the polarity when I had installed them and I think it was right. But thanks for pointing that out I will check it out. Maybe instead of pull the door trim out, I will he I first to isolate the one of the speakers and test them out one by one.

Also maybe a reason for the poor bass is that I bought coaxial speakers that they have build in tweeters and my car has tweeters in the pillars from the factory. So I have like 4 of them in the front right now so maybe that's the reason.

That's what I thought about the HU. I am only thinking of amp cause it's waaaaay cheaper overall.

Old 05-05-2017, 09:14 AM   #4
MatthewMenze

Drives: 2012 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
I would do the HU first, ideally one with pre-outs. Otherwise you are stuck using line level converters or high level inputs on the amp, which really kills the SQ.

I just replaced the HU on my 2012 3dr with a Alpine CD-less unit, and it was astoundingly better, twice as loud, better bass/mids/treble. And I am all set to wire in a 5ch amp down the road.

Also consider getting a subwoofer, there is zero reason a sub needs to create overwhelming bass, that is all on how you have the system adjusted. A reasonable and quality subwoofer in a well made enclosure will get you exactly the bass profile you want if you have it set up correctly.
MatthewMenze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:33 AM   #5
miiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewMenze View Post
I would do the HU first, ideally one with pre-outs. Otherwise you are stuck using line level converters or high level inputs on the amp, which really kills the SQ.

I just replaced the HU on my 2012 3dr with a Alpine CD-less unit, and it was astoundingly better, twice as loud, better bass/mids/treble. And I am all set to wire in a 5ch amp down the road.

Also consider getting a subwoofer, there is zero reason a sub needs to create overwhelming bass, that is all on how you have the system adjusted. A reasonable and quality subwoofer in a well made enclosure will get you exactly the bass profile you want if you have it set up correctly.

Pre-outs? You mean jacks for each speaker line?

Old 05-05-2017, 10:16 PM   #6
MatthewMenze

Drives: 2012 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Yes, RCA jacks on the back. Generally speaking the stock deck does not have them, leaving you with using the speaker output (line level) as the inputs to your amplifier in some capacity. So you end up applying all the distortion (there is always some) of the stock stereos amplifier to the external amp, which then adds further distortion.
MatthewMenze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 06:05 PM   #7
KenTK808

Drives: 2014 Yaris LE
The stock radio has a very basic sound processor. Getting a new one will improve sound quality, but you wont be able to get good mid-bass with those speakers you bought. Maybe if you sound deaden the area a little too. Its all subjective though. I bought a expensive set of Morel audio speakers and I didn't get the amount of punch I was looking for until I sound deadened
KenTK808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:06 AM   #8
miiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenTK808 View Post
The stock radio has a very basic sound processor. Getting a new one will improve sound quality, but you wont be able to get good mid-bass with those speakers you bought. Maybe if you sound deaden the area a little too. Its all subjective though. I bought a expensive set of Morel audio speakers and I didn't get the amount of punch I was looking for until I sound deadened

Did you changed your HU or placed an amp?

Old 05-08-2017, 07:13 AM   #9
miiser

I did a little experiment last night. I balanced the speakers from the settings and first of all I put it on -L5 so only the left speaker was playing music. I was sitting on drivers seat aswell. Still the bass was bad on my ears. Then I swapped it to +R5 so only the right speaker was playing music. I was still sitting on drivers seat and the bass was great to my ears. Then I did the exact opposite. I went on the right front seat and when I played the music on the right speaker's was terrible but when I put it on the left it was great.

So basically right speaker + left seat = great
Left speaker + right seat = great
But
Left and left or right and right = bad bass.
It seems like that when I hear the music from far is better.
I can't explain it more clear.
Why this is happening?

Old 06-20-2017, 11:01 PM   #10
ccyaris

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 3 Door 5 S
Since you only replaced the Front R and L speakers these will take more watts. If you increase the power it will overdrive the Rear R and L, plus dash tweeters resulting in more distortion. If you defeat the rear speakers you will get some relief, however the front speakers is tied into the dash tweeters, and higher power will cause them to distort.
Solution, replace the rear with same type as front and also replace or disconnect dash tweeters. Now bear in mind that these new speakers exceed the output of stock HU, so you will not get thumping bass, unless you add a power amp, digital is preferable (low power drain). Hope this help.
ccyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:44 AM   #11
Alain93

Drives: Yaris 12
Hi Miiser,
you should check out the Diymobileaudio forum, I learned a lot over there.
First you need to deadened your doors, don't need to buy the most expensive stuff to do it. And you don't need to go to the extreme also like some did (completely cover your doors with sound deadening mat), see pictures on the diymobileaudio forum. I used some Noico 80 mil 18 sqft, more than enough for 2 doors
One thing I would do is to unplug/unsolder the tweets in the center of your JVC and install better tweets in the pillars (some cheap soundstream).
For your HU you should get a Pioneer 1 din or 2 din ($80-$100), they are excellent, crossover, time alignment, level, 13 bands EQ, really good to start.
You will need an amp for you subwoofer, and a 10" sub will not bother anybody but inside your car it will sound marvelous :)
You could add an amp for the front later.
Alain93 is offline   Reply With Quote