Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-11-2009, 09:57 AM   #1
The Marshall

Drives: 2007 Yaris 5-Door, Black
DIY: Installing XM Radio with SureConnect antenna adapter

I looked online for about an hour for instructions on how to install the SureConnect adapter to the roof-mounted antenna. After almost giving up and buying a new deck, I thought why not connect the adapter inside the car? It was a lot easier than I thought!

PLEASE NOTE that my 2007 Yaris 5-door does not have side curtain airbags. If you do have side curtain airbags, this may not be the best idea!

Time required: About 30 minutes

Tools required: Wire cutter/stripper, electrical tape.

Step One:
Remove the plastic panel between the passenger side door and the windshield. It will just pop off, don't use too much force or you may break the clips.

Step Two:
Un-clip the white clip in the photo, it connects the roof antenna to the wires going into the deck.

Step Three:
Cut the clip end off of the XM SureConnect Adapter.

Step Four:
Strip about three inches off of the wire at the former clip end. There will be a plastic over the wire itself, make sure you strip this as well.

Step Five:
Fold the exposed end into itself a few times and twist it until it is as tight as possible.

Step Six:
Push the end you just made hard into the metal hole-piece of the connector. Make sure it is in as far as possible.

Step Seven:
Re-connect the white clip, pushing it as far as it will go. Mine didn't re-connect completely but both FM and XM radio seems to work fine. You will probably want to wrap this re-connected clip with electrical tape.

Step Eight:
Place the satellite magnet antenna on the roof of the car, just above the removed panel.

Step Nine:
VERY lightly pull down the window weather stripping just under where you placed the antenna. Pull the connector through the hole until there is no cord left, then smack the stripping back over the cord.

NOTE: I tried pushing the connector through the stripping and it just came off as in the photo. I did a car wash right after completing this and there was no leakage, so this should be okay.

Step Ten:
Route the magnet antenna through the existing roof antenna wires. It is easiest to put the wire behind the white clips holding the antenna wires, then electrical tape it.

Step Eleven:
NOTE: Before replacing the panel, make sure both the magnet antenna connector and the XM SureConnect connector are accessible, underneath the dash (hanging by the passenger's feet if you had one)

Pop the removed panel back on.

Step Twelve:
Mount your radio where you want it, connect the two wires, then hide the extra wiring under the dash. I mounted mine next to the e-brake, cable tied the extra wiring together then cable tied that to the holes by the passenger's feet behind the dash.

That's it! I've had it hooked up for a couple of days this way and am not getting static on either XM or FM stations. Hope this helps someone out!
The Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote