Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-07-2014, 02:12 PM   #1
ajkochev74

Drives: Yaris
Buzzing Sound From Seat Belt?

Bought the Yaris yesterday really pleased with it.

However the passenger side seat belt buzzes(or makes a vibrating sound) as I drive down the road. Used or not makes driving annoying. I can also make the buzzing sound by pulling and releasing the seatbelt with the car turned off.

Anyone have this issue? Though about taking off the panel and seeing what I can do. Any electronics attached to the seatbelt I should be warry of?
ajkochev74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:16 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The front seatbelts have an explosive pretensioner built into the recoil mechanism. That is the only electrical connection in the B pillar for the seatbelt.

That is not powered when the ignition is off, so you may find a bees nest or something like that in the pillar.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:50 PM   #3
ajkochev74

Drives: Yaris
No bee hive in the Yaris.

I took that pillar fascia off today and the sound is definitely coming from the seat belt housing. It is on the left side of the unit with the bright yellow and grayish/beige plastic housings, the electronics are on the opposite side. I could rub my finger gently on the out side of the housing and it made a loud vibrating noise. Checked and it is securely bolted to the frame, nothing loose. It is the plastic housing on the unit.

I took three layers of foam core board and wedged it between the frame and housing. Went for a drive afterwards and the buzz was gone. Weird. The seat belt operates as others in the car the spring recoils it when not in use and I can pull it fast and it locks. No issues with airbag lights or passenger warnings if someone sits there and is using the seat belt. Hopefully this will do it.
ajkochev74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 06:01 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
There is a metal ball and a plastic mechanism within that area that does the lock on pull process.

With the foam there was actually a recall notice for removing that foam, as it can ignite when the pre-tensioner blows.