Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-02-2014, 10:10 AM   #1
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
DIY - Replacing the Front Seat Cushions

Cushions - Top.jpg

Passenger Seat - Stripped.jpg

This weekend I had to remove the cushions from a front seat to ship to someone who's driver's side cushions have disintegrated. I could have shipped the entire seat, but I did not have a driver's side seat available and the passenger side frame is a mirror image, so he would have had to swap the cushions in order to use my passenger seat in place of his driver's seat. As far as the cushions go, (on non side airbag seats) the only difference between the driver's and passenger's cushions (and only on the 3 door) is the slot on the top left for the rear seat access lever.

Removing/Replacing the cushions definitely requires removal of the seat from the car. To do that you simply remove the four seat mounting bolts (using an E10 socket) and unplug the electrical connectors.

The plastic trim pieces on the bottom of the seats needs to be removed as well. The are mounted with some tiny phillips head screws and a plastic clip by pivot point.

At this point flip the seat over and release the plastic clips that secure the flap for the rear portion of the seat and then the clips that secure the bottom cushion to the frame. The sheet metal of seat frame is crazy sharp, so watch your fingers on all metal edges.

Once the bottom cushion clips are released, you can simply lift the bottom cushion off of the frame.
Bottom - Bottom.jpg

The back cushion has two metal rods which connect the front at back, which are tied together with hog-clips. You can snip and replace the hog-clips, or as I prefer, you can straighten the hook at the end of one of the rods and slide it out of the hog clips:
Top Retainer Bars.jpg

Once the rods are separated, you have access into the bottom of the rear cushion:
Top - Bottom.jpg

The headrest tubes hold the rear cushion to the frame. The foam is not flexible enough to pull over the top of the headrest tubes without ripping, so the tubes must be removed. To remove the headrest tubes, reach up into back of the seat and release the two clips that hold the plastic tubes in place. As you press on the tabs (shown below) you can pull the tubes out of the top of the seat:
Headrest tube - Removal.jpg

Headrest tube - Removal.jpg

If you are removing the cushions from a 3 door passenger side seat you will also need to release the top tilt lever assembly. The knob pulls right off of the metal handle and once that is removed the plastic trim piece for the slot can be popped off with your finger tips:
Passenger Seat - Slot.jpg

At this point you can now pull the rear cushion off the seat back frame.

To install the replacement cushions, slide the rear cushion on first and push the headrest tubes back into place. For the passenger seat, reinstall the slot trim piece and the lever. Flip the seat over and reconnect the rods that hold the front and back together. Press the lower seat cushion into place, then reconnect its clips. Finally, reinstall the clips and the elastic band that secure the seat back flap to the bottom of the seat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Headrest tube.jpg (225.4 KB, 382 views)
Old 01-02-2014, 10:59 AM   #2
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
you know, i have both front seats spare, from my scion XD converstion...wait, it lacks the side handle because its 5 door. nevermind.
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:52 AM   #3
kaywells

Drives: yaris
Hi, Does any one have info on how to replace just the seat cushion (base) of the driver side seat?
Or can this info be found in a manual?
Suggestions would be v welcome.
Thanks, k
kaywells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:08 AM   #4
snowsquirrel

Drives: 2008 Yaris 5dr LB
This is good to know, if one wears out the seat cushion, it can be repaired instead of replacing the complete seat.

cheers
snowsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:11 AM   #5
kaywells

hi thanks.
the cushion has been crushed on 1 side by a heavy mechanic and foam base needs replacing...grr
tried to wedge it up but unsuccessful.
will be pricy to get done.
k
Old 09-28-2016, 10:13 AM   #6
kaywells

Ps info above with pics is useful but we need a step by step guide... would this be shown in a haynes manual?
thanks again
Old 10-04-2016, 06:39 PM   #7
07liftback

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Hmm, do you guys think a leather Lexus seat could be pulled apart and retrofitted into the Yaris seat frame? I was going to put one into my Yaris but I didn't like the fact that they were power operated. I also don't like the fact that the Yaris seat only reclines back to a certain degree where as I can recline all the way in every other car. Makes naps in the front seat not that great besides the lack of lumbar support.
07liftback is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seat cushion