Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-13-2017, 06:08 AM   #1
komichal

Drives: Yaris 2007 1.3 2SZFE 64kW
Red face Wires for rear speakers

Greetings!
I have 2007 Yaris II 5-door hatchback.

Music from the radio was too quiet on the back seats and I found out that I have no speakers in the rear doors installed.
The hole for the speaker is there in the door but it has never been used, it is still covered by the plastic.

Buying and mounting the speakers is simple but how about the wiring? At first notice I was not able to see a cable that I would be able to connect the speakers to. But maybe it is somewhere well hidden?

Or do I need to do the wiring on my own? That is something that will probably completely stop me from installing the speakers.

Thank you for sharing your experience.
komichal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:03 AM   #2
miiser

Drives: yaris 2009
Wires for rear speakers

You have to wire them by ur own. I will do it too some time in the feature. To make things simpler u can use the front wiring of the speakers and extend it to the back so you don't have to take apart the headunit from the dash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
miiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:56 PM   #3
komichal

Ha, I have mounted out the car radio to check the wiring and according to the electrical sheet the rear speaker wires are connected! This means they must be leading somewhere. Maybe they are in the door after all, just well hidden somewhere... I probably need to take a second look or start a detective tracing of the wires from the radio to find out where they end...
Old 09-13-2017, 04:15 PM   #4
miiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by komichal View Post
Ha, I have mounted out the car radio to check the wiring and according to the electrical sheet the rear speaker wires are connected! This means they must be leading somewhere. Maybe they are in the door after all, just well hidden somewhere... I probably need to take a second look or start a detective tracing of the wires from the radio to find out where they end...

Check behind front seatbelt plastic covers.
I saw somewhere that there are ready wires that you can lead in the doors. I just never had the time to check it out by myself

Old 09-13-2017, 04:16 PM   #5
miiser

This should be the right wiring map

Old 09-14-2017, 12:06 AM   #6
komichal

Thanks miiser, I will check it and take some photos to share. The wiring map you provided matches the one I have so it seems like a good start. :-)
Old 09-14-2017, 10:18 AM   #7
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
The speaker wires should end in the kick panel on either side of the car. Normally, you just need to extend those to the rear doors, unless Toyota decided to make a separate harness from the radio, which I highly doubt.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 09-14-2017, 10:27 AM   #8
miiser

Wires for rear speakers

Quote:
Thanks miiser, I will check it and take some photos to share. The wiring map you provided matches the one I have so it seems like a good start. :-)

You are welcome. Hope there are in fact ready wires behind seatbelt's panel. I will wait your response

Old 09-14-2017, 02:26 PM   #9
komichal

Hi IllusionX, what do you mean by "Kick panel"?
I am not English-native and I thought that kick panel is the part close to the driver foot where his foot can rest when it is not operating with the clutch pedal.
But from your response I think you actually mean something different...?
Thank you and sorry for introducing even linguistic issues... :D
Old 09-14-2017, 02:50 PM   #10
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
More or less yes what you describe. It's a bit forward, where it meets the door when closed.

Here is a picture I took from the internet.

Door speaker wires should be connected in that area to the head unit (radio).

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 09-14-2017, 03:28 PM   #11
Impact

Drives: 200 Vitz RS / 1998 Evo V
cool
Impact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 06:16 AM   #12
komichal

I have just realized that there is no "hose" between the car body and the door to push the wires through.
Well - there is a hose but there is also a connector closing it so it is not easily accessible.

Anyway - first I need to find the wires somewhere. Hopefully I will be able to recognize them...
Old 09-15-2017, 08:50 AM   #13
miiser

Quote:
I have just realized that there is no "hose" between the car body and the door to push the wires through.

Well - there is a hose but there is also a connector closing it so it is not easily accessible.

Anyway - first I need to find the wires somewhere. Hopefully I will be able to recognize them...

No luck till now?

Old 09-15-2017, 02:59 PM   #14
komichal

I do not have a garage to park my car in so I need to wait till it stops raining and is still daylight at the same time... �� I did just some very quick checks on the parking lot, tearing off covers to see if there is anything obvious but no luck. All cables are winded in black tape. Need to take it off to see if some wires are there terminated...
Old 09-18-2017, 01:44 AM   #15
miiser

Quote:
I do not have a garage to park my car in so I need to wait till it stops raining and is still daylight at the same time... �� I did just some very quick checks on the parking lot, tearing off covers to see if there is anything obvious but no luck. All cables are winded in black tape. Need to take it off to see if some wires are there terminated...

I am waiting to hear from you when you finally do it

Old 10-09-2017, 02:29 AM   #16
komichal

I am finally back here.
The good thing is that I was able to trace down the rear speaker wires.
I removed the front seatbelt plastic covers and the wires are there. They lead up to the connector opposite to the rubber hose connecting the body and the door. So this is good (but I was unable to detach the connector though so I do not now if there are speaker wires in the rubber hose as well or if I have reached the end of the line).

What is bad is that when I removed the rear door panel and peeked in through the speaker hole I was only able to see the wires for door lock but nothing else. It may not seem that way on the picture but there is so little space in there that I was not even able to remove the black tape inside the door to see whether there is actually a connector or something else that would indicate that the speaker wires are there or not.

Probably as the next step I need to remove that rubber hose somehow to see what is inside. But it was already dark so it will be the next part of the story, if I ever dare to do it.

Pictures:
https://ibb.co/eUs0Jw
https://ibb.co/nDNNWG
Old 11-07-2017, 10:28 AM   #17
miiser

Quote:
I am finally back here.

The good thing is that I was able to trace down the rear speaker wires.

I removed the front seatbelt plastic covers and the wires are there. They lead up to the connector opposite to the rubber hose connecting the body and the door. So this is good (but I was unable to detach the connector though so I do not now if there are speaker wires in the rubber hose as well or if I have reached the end of the line).

What is bad is that when I removed the rear door panel and peeked in through the speaker hole I was only able to see the wires for door lock but nothing else. It may not seem that way on the picture but there is so little space in there that I was not even able to remove the black tape inside the door to see whether there is actually a connector or something else that would indicate that the speaker wires are there or not.

Probably as the next step I need to remove that rubber hose somehow to see what is inside. But it was already dark so it will be the next part of the story, if I ever dare to do it.

Pictures:

https://ibb.co/eUs0Jw

https://ibb.co/nDNNWG

How did you remove this panel behind seatbelt?
Also is it easy to remove the back door panel?

Old 11-07-2017, 01:51 PM   #18
komichal

The panel behind the seatbelt went more or less fine. You just need to pull up both plastic door thresholds and then I gave a proper tug to the panel - and it went off. Not sure if this is the right and official way but it worked and no clip was broken.

Removing the back door panel is easy too. You just need to
- remove the window handle (there is a pin behind the handle sou you either need to use a proper tool or a rag trick or two sharp screwdrivers (my case) to remove the pin (it shoots away!) - then the handle goes off
- remove the screw behind the "open door" handle
- remove the screw inside the small pot in the door "hand handle" (hidden behing a cap, removable by a flat screwdriver)
Once the window handle and the two bolts are gone, you just need to grab the panel in the corner where the speaker is supposed to be and tug firmly. The panel gets partly off and you just need to go around and pull it off all around. Once done, slide your hand in and remove the two metal wires from the door handle (just peek in to see how they are connected, it is a simple mechanical connection, no tool necessary).
Once you are in you will see a clear plastic coating all around the door, glued to the door by a black messy stuff. Heat that black stuff a bit and the plastic can be peeled off eventually. But in my case, I just cut a hole in it and once I was done I taped it together using a silver duct tape. It would probably deserve a better solution but at that moment I was just pissed off that there are no wires in the door so I wanted to put everything back together as quickly as possible.

Tags
radio, speakers, wiring, yaris