Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-08-2011, 09:59 PM   #37
TRDblueyaris

Drives: 08 liftback 5 speed
i took the front bumper off and the headlight cluster out. too much work for a light bulb. does anyone know what that peanut bulb under the main headlight bulb is for?
TRDblueyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:17 PM   #38
KittenRD

Drives: Metallic Meteorite Liftback
Send a message via AIM to KittenRD
Success

Thank you everyone. I just replaced my bulb! The only reason I could do it was because I have child sized hands!
KittenRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:18 PM   #39
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
Like the one in your profile pic?
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:01 PM   #40
NSP
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris Sedan
Easy as butter

I was able to change the driver side bulb on an 07 Sedan with a needle-nose plyers. Rubber boot came right off by pulling on the rubber tabs that protrude out. From there I just unclipped the metal arm that holds the bulb and it came right out. Took about five minutes.
NSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:15 PM   #41
403RS
#yyc

Drives: BSP '07 RS 5dr LB
If you go the bumper removal route, then it's a perfect time to throw on a DIY lip.
403RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:17 PM   #42
bobolinko
Bob

Drives: Yaris and Scion XD 5 spd BSP
Peanut bulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDblueyaris View Post
i took the front bumper off and the headlight cluster out. too much work for a light bulb. does anyone know what that peanut bulb under the main headlight bulb is for?
That is the Parking light bulb

#168 lamp
bobolinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:36 PM   #43
sickaroll

Drives: 2001 Yaris 1.0
My wife's 2001 Yaris had an odd problem; offside sidelight and nearside dips were dead, but the beams were both fine.
On my Puma the enclosures are very similar, 3 screws, a good tug and they're off (no need to remove the bumper mind).

I was surprised to find only one large bulb in the headlights. I replaced both sidelights, and the two main bulbs (h4) with some extra-bright, while still road-legal ones. Now are 3 positions (side, dips, beams) work fine.

If the bulb was faulty, surely the beams shouldn't have worked?
Old 01-14-2013, 05:46 PM   #44
Kazimodo

Drives: Yaris 2007 3 doors
Tricks , shortcut .

I just did this bulb change , first I'd like to say thanks
to the ones who suggested to move the bumper cover
I did not remove it completely ,as some members suggested,
just remove the 5 push pins on top ,and one on each side in the
wheel well , pull the cover , a tug for the side to unclip
the 3 clippings on each side between fender and bumper cover.
once it is moved forward you can see the 3 10mm bolts that hold
the cluster ,one at top , one at the front ,it is revealed when
pulling the bumper cover , the 3rd on the side where fender meets
the bumper cover , all 3 of those have a nipple in the middle and
you have to lift the cluster a little before pulling , some for install
clip cluster around the nipples , it will click , then screw .
Once you have the cluster pulled and turned upside down ,
it is very easy to undo the bulb , for the rubber boot over
the bulb , just pull hard , and to put back , twist it on the new
bulb , use a small screwdriver to push the pins back down
around the new bulb if you have big hands .
If you go to canadian Tire , disregard the book that hangs
in the isle , because it says to use the #9005 bulb ..
it is the wrong bulb , you need the # 9003
the terminal plugs in straight in back of bulb , the 9005 is
a 90 degree angle terminal , (( it is wrong for my 2007 anyways ))
since I had the front hanging , I changed both sides
$8.73 each for the bulbs , I don't want to redo this
in 3 weeks on other side . 2 new lights and the one that
was still working is now a spare in the toolbox.
Kazimodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:22 PM   #45
jonshaw7
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
Not sure how the rest of you do it; changing the headlights is impossible without removing the bumper. I only took it partway off so that It would give me enough space to pop the headlights out. I took one of the old lights out before I removed the bumper...at least I took the base out. The glass shards remained inside the light (broke when I tried to get it out), I had to dump the glass out later (not ever doing this again without removing bumper). Anyway, found a vid on youtube about removing the bumper, did that, and then it finally got easy.

With the rubber boots, rather than cutting a larger opening like some suggested, I just put a flathead screwdriver inside between the light and rubber and pried it up all the way around. That worked well.

Hats off to anyone who can do this without taking the bumper off...no idea how you do that.
jonshaw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:30 PM   #46
chasd60

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB Auto
Talking

Just to bring the old thread back from the dead........ I found this You Tube Video that is pretty clear as to how to remove/loosen the bumper cover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlN6wC8hon4
chasd60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:08 AM   #47
trunkout
4 years of P90X!

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
um.... I've replaced mine on the side of the road... in under a minute. I dunno what the problem is!
trunkout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:33 PM   #48
Killchain

Drives: '10 Yaris LB Polar White
I can get the bulb with some torn skin, nothing serious yet I see it as my blood and my car have become blood brothers.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:27 AM   #49
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Arrrrgghhhh!! My driver's side bulb just burned out...

I was wondering: instead of loosening the bumper and light housing, can you just loosen the fuse box?

TIA

Also, that little parking light bulb burned out as well...
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 12:40 PM   #50
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaristeve View Post
Arrrrgghhhh!! My driver's side bulb just burned out...

I was wondering: instead of loosening the bumper and light housing, can you just loosen the fuse box?

TIA

Also, that little parking light bulb burned out as well...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killchain View Post
I can get the bulb with some torn skin, nothing serious yet I see it as my blood and my car have become blood brothers.
Well, I too have become blood brothers with my Yaris. Changed the bulb this morning before work. Took me 40 minutes without removing the bumper cover or headlight housing. However, that includes about 10~15 minutes trying to replace the rubber boot backwards. It only took a couple minutes after I figured out what I was doing wrong (with the boot); .
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:24 PM   #51
ebaut

Drives: Yaris 09
Thanks to this thread, I was also able to replace my dimming headlights. It was fairly easy. I don't think I would have been able to do it, without loosening up the bumper.

I didn't have to completely remove it though. I just undid all the clips, and pulled the bumper out enough to have enough room to get the socket wrench in. I watched the video posted on the thread to give me an idea how to get the clips out and the bumper unfastened.

With the headlight assembly out it's easy to see how everything works. The lightbulbs can only sit one way. So, doing it without seeing how it goes in, might have been the the culprit of mine pointing to the side when a reputable Toyota dealership in Canada gave me my Yaris.

So anybody with a burned headlight, give it a go and save yourself a few bucks, keep the DIY spirit alive.
ebaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:56 PM   #52
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobolinko View Post
That is the Parking light bulb

#168 lamp
194 bulb i use led 6000k and they look and work awesome .
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:33 PM   #53
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Changing the bulb without touching the bumper is all about hand size. The bulb has been replaced twice on each side on my 2007. Re the first replacement, I tore some skin trying to change the first one, until I realized my hand was too big. I took it to a local Toyota dealer, and I believe they charged me $16.00 to put the bulb in. I've also taken the car there for the last three bulb changes (all four times, I bought the bulb elsewhere) and they either didn't charge me for any of those three...or may have charged me $16.00 for one of the the three. Someone has always been available who has a small enough hand.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:30 AM   #54
07liftback

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Just got done changing my 07 Liftback's lights and I must say, it was taking forever as I initially gave up after the first 5 minutes. After a bit of research, I'm surprised no one posted any service manual pics on here of how the retaining clips worked. There was no need to pull the bumper cover and remove the headlights. My hands are relatively large and I too initially had an issue pulling the retaining clips together to release the headlight.

The bigger issue that wasn't mentioned here was the fact that the boot seal was seized onto the headlight bulb with the devil's grip. People on other forums said to use a screw driver to pry it off but I couldn't even get the screw driver angled correctly to pry the boot off.

What I did was I reached behind the boot cover and pulled one side of the retaining clip to release that side but had trouble releasing the opposite side. So I grabbed my house key and jammed it between the headlight housing and the other side of the retaining clip to release it.

Now all I had to do was pull the boot cover out with the attached headlight bulb.

This all took maybe 5 minutes total regardless of how lengthy the process may have sounded. I'll attach the pictures from the service manual on this post to show you guys how the retaining clips work as well as how to remove the bumper cover for those who choose to go that route.
Attached Images
File Type: png bumper yaris.png (79.1 KB, 129 views)
File Type: png retaining clips.png (178.1 KB, 131 views)

Last edited by 07liftback; 01-23-2015 at 10:45 AM.
07liftback is offline   Reply With Quote