Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-05-2009, 10:16 PM   #1
aclark246
50 MPG or BUST!

Drives: 2007 Black Yaris Sedan
5 Bars Left and 300 miles!

I'm not sure what this means yet in terms of MPGs, but Before the 4th bar disappeared I hit the 300 mile mark. That bar usually disappears around 280 miles for me. It did go soon after though.

EDIT: oh yeah, and this was all on my normal commute as well
Attached Images

Old 07-05-2009, 11:30 PM   #2
AlainMikli

Drives: ings 09 Yaris 3 Door LiftBack
I never try more than 280mile with a full tank
REAL JDM ings+1 Full Body Kit…REAL JDM C-One Spoiler…Retrofit Projector Headlight…Kiddo 6-pots BBK…CE 28N J-Time Attack…Bride Ergo II Racing Seat…Personal Steering Wheel…Work Bell Quick Release…Dealer Option Sun Roof…JDM RS LED Side Mirror…JDM RS Taillight…C-One Oil Cap…C-One Radiator Cap…TRD Iridium Racing Spark Plug…Tom's Fuel Map Controller…Blitz throttle controller…GReddy Informeter Touch…MR Suspension…TRD Rear Sway Bar…MR C-Pillar Bar…GTspec Front Strut Bar & Rear Strut Bar…AFE Intake…WR Header…Nitto Mid-Pipe…Greddy Ti-C axleback…Goodridge SS Brake Line…
To do: Supercharger…
AlainMikli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 11:56 PM   #3
The little red pill
Taking care of Bubbles

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB "Bubbles"
Wow. I have 250 miles and only 2 bars left. Anything over 30mpg and I'm a happy camper.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:58 AM   #4
Pitt Yaris

Drives: Flint Mica Sedan
How is that possible? Most I've gotten was about 410 on a completely full tank. *41mpg*
Pitt Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:44 AM   #5
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Amazing!
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:43 AM   #6
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlainMikli View Post
I never try more than 280mile with a full tank
well i bet with a modded car like yours, i wouldnt drive eco friendly either hehe.

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:10 AM   #7
Forrest

Drives: 08 LB BLACK
Good for you ! It is always nice to see someone getting good mileage. The bars, however, do not yield the same amount of miles per bar and I have found the more miles on a tank, the faster the bars disappear ! I only use the bars as a reminder when it is time to fill up.

I no longer try figuring out my miles per gallon when I fill up., I know I go a long time between fill up and that's what I want.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:29 AM   #8
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
To be honest, I am suspicious (not saying it isn't true, I'm just suspicous) as given that burn rate he would be getting at least 600 miles to the tank and that would be around 55 MPG.

Given that would be 10 MPG over his average, I would not be readily able to accept this claim without more substantial evidence!

Nothing personal, I know hypermilers can wring some mileage out of a tank of gas, but a 20% increase over your average requires some specific explanation...
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:14 AM   #9
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
I've seen this happen to me before. But i still end up doing something around 39MPG.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:17 AM   #10
aclark246
50 MPG or BUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
To be honest, I am suspicious (not saying it isn't true, I'm just suspicous) as given that burn rate he would be getting at least 600 miles to the tank and that would be around 55 MPG.

Given that would be 10 MPG over his average, I would not be readily able to accept this claim without more substantial evidence!

Nothing personal, I know hypermilers can wring some mileage out of a tank of gas, but a 20% increase over your average requires some specific explanation...
That is why I am excited!

I had heard about people pulling it off before, which is why I was sure to take a picture once I hit it (at a stop light of course.)

While yes my average is 44 mpg for the past 90 or so days, I did make 49 a few tanks back, and a 48 that I haven't posted in my gas log yet, and it hasn't rained as much this week. (Any one else from the New England hate this rain?!)

I also understand that the "fuel bars" are not scientific, but after driving the car for over a year you get used to about how many miles each bar will give. Key word is "about." I don't plan on seeing 600 miles this tank, or even 500. I do expect at least 450 though, and I have already done a 460 tank with over a gallon left in the tank. Having four bars left is in no way having half a tank left. As someone mentioned, those last four drop way too quickly. But as a gauge of how well I am doing on the tank, on my average tank at this point I am around 270-280 miles, not 300. So unless someone snuck in to my car and put some gas in (maybe the Sunoco Fairy) the picture is accurate as I described.

If you can think of another way for me to make you less suspicious just let me know. I AM NOT CLAIMING however, to have made any MPG records. All I am saying is that with 5 bars remaining, I had 300 miles. Yes, at 302 that bar disappeared. Yes, it could be a fluke of the sensors. Regardless, I am excited to see if it wasn't a fluke

I know my word might not mean much to you, but if it is any consolation, I take this stuff a little to seriously than I should, and I wouldn't joke about something like this- as insignificant as it might turn out to be.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:21 AM   #11
aclark246
50 MPG or BUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
I've seen this happen to me before. But i still end up doing something around 39MPG.
so mine is probably a fluke of the sensors then. I can still have my dreams though
Old 07-06-2009, 09:03 AM   #12
Phaeton

Drives: Blazing Blue Liftback
I normally get 440-450 miles per tank it's not that unbelievable.
Phaeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:10 AM   #13
MadMax

If you do take this seriously, then I would recommend getting a ScanGauge II or other similar device which will provide you much more accurate information than you are getting from your stock instruments. Heck, just your speedometer error can be as much as 3-5% high and if you haven't checked it against a GPS then you are already reporting inaccurate figures.

But heck, I hope it does turn out to be true! I am happy with my 37 MPG average that I have been getting for the past four tanks (no ScanGauge, but I have checked my speedo against a GPS and it is almost spot on with my larger tires). I don't mean to be negative, I love good fuel effficiency but I don't go to such extremes as some of the hypermilers on here. I simply drive my Yaris gently and for an auto with larger/wider tires on it, I couldn't be happier!

Oh, and I can "squeeze" 420 miles out of a tank if I push it; but I have never seen 300 miles out of the top three bars! I usually get 50 miles out of each bar, but the first bar will go as far as 60-75 miles before disappearing and it seems like the last bars disappear quickly!
Old 07-06-2009, 10:12 AM   #14
MadMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeton View Post
I normally get 440-450 miles per tank it's not that unbelievable.
450 miles / 11 gallons still only equates to 40 MPG.

54 MPG is a totally different ballgame!
Old 07-06-2009, 10:17 AM   #15
MadMax

Whoops, one more comment! Those in New England who are tired of all the rain can feel free to send some of it our way! Southcentral Texas is currently less than a foot away from being in Stage 3 water restrictions! Some of which are:

Quote:
- Landscape watering allowed only EVERY OTHER WEEK with an irrigation system, sprinkler or soaker hose. Weeks when no watering is allowed will be announced via local media and online.

- Landscape watering is allowed only from 3-8 a.m. and 8-10 p.m. on your designated watering day, as determined by your address.

- Use of fountains, waterfalls, or other aesthetic water features — outdoors or indoors — is prohibited, unless a variance has been granted for 100 percent non-potable water use.

- All non-public swimming pools must have a minimum of 25 percent of the surface area covered when not in use. Inflatable pool toys or floating decorations may be used for this purpose.

- Washing impervious cover such as parking lots, driveways, streets or sidewalks is prohibited. Health and safety exceptions may be requested from SAWS in writing.

- Residential washing of vehicles or other equipment only on assigned watering days/times. No street runoff allowed.

- Hotels, motels and other lodging must limit linen/towel changes to once every three nights, except for health and safety.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:56 AM   #16
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
it just stopped raining yesterday . last month it rained like 26 days of the month
Old 07-06-2009, 11:10 AM   #17
aclark246
50 MPG or BUST!

Technically speaking, the 300 miles was out of the first four bars, seeing as that bar disappeared at 302 miles, not the three, but now I'm just nit picking.

I wish we could send some rain over there, it has been a wash of a summer here. They say this has been the second wettest summer we have had since they have been keeping records. At least it cleared up for Independence day :)

EDIT: oh and I have checked my speedo against a GPS and it is accurate, so we are good to go. I understand what you are saying about "squeezing" the gas completely. It really isn't "necessary" for me, seeing as my girlfriend doesn't hypermile in her yaris and still averages 40 mpg driving with a feather foot in the summer and 34 mpg in the winter months (cold and snow.) I just like the sport of it. The tank where I didn't do any extra "tricks" I managed 46 mpg this summer, but I also have a 90% highway, little traffic commute so I am extremely lucky there I guess. That is also why I don't have a scangauge yet. I really want one but have not been able to justify getting one yet because I won't really increase my FE by a substantial amount. I just want the tach and code reading capabilities. Maybe later this summer if I can save up a few pennies.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:16 AM   #18
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
i'm a landscaper i've only been able to work like 2 days a week. times are tough enough without all this rain.. glad its gone.