Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-23-2007, 09:47 PM   #1
Moose
Resident Redneck

Drives: 07 Polar White Yaris Sedan 5M
This is going to be interesting.....steering column modification.

Alrighty, I discussed (briefly) on here a couple weeks ago the thought of finding a way to add some length to the steering column of our Yarii. Some of us have long legs, and end up rather uncomfortably reaching for the steering wheel.

Wellllllllllllllllllllllll......I have a few friends that have been doing custom fab and tricky electronics work for quite a while. One is a machinist for Panoz Racing (think LeMans/Esperante), the second a CAD/D designer for Penske Racing (think NASCAR and INDY), and the third a Master Lexus Diagnostic Technician with 25+ years of Toyota experience.

I've got these guys to join in on my project- we're going to attempt to design and manufacture a "spacer" for the steering column that will extend it approximately 2-3" and still allow for the factory steering wheel and airbag to be used- the spacer will probably end up looking like a MOMO hub adapter with an internal, extension plug-and-play harness for the airbag.

This will not be an overnight thing- I'll probably be driving back and forth a few times between Braselton, GA and Charlotte, NC (my car will be the guinea pig), and there will be some considerable time needed to do the R&D, drawings, machining/wiring, and testing, and then doing it all over again because we're not happy with it- it happens.

Anyhoo, is there even any interest here? I can't be the only long-legged freak!
1985 Toyota Celica GTS Coupe 5M- track whip
http://www.importlounge.com

Last edited by Moose; 03-23-2007 at 10:06 PM.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote