Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-27-2014, 08:35 PM   #1
kropekoi

Drives: vios 1.3J
Talking DIY additional airflow

Hi all,

I would like to share my simple and cheap DIY on adding more cold air into your intake. I know that there might have been other posts regarding this, however, I just want to share on what I have.

here's our simple ride:

here's what I did:

I've installed an orange tubing (not really sure on what you call it) from the bumper going to the intake tube.

when you try to start the car and stick your finger in one of those holes on the bumper, you'll actually feel a small sucking feeling on your finger. (not to worry about water getting into your intake as I have punched in 3-4 holes on those 2 tubes to prevent water from building up inside)

Correct me if I am wrong on this, but, the more air, and more dense it is, the more MPG that you will get. also more air means more power.

so far I've felt a slight power increase after this mod, and the MPG (especially on long drives) has increased as well.

In the Philippines, the current gas(unleaded) price is around P48.35 per liter
and I've filled up P500 worth of gas, and that's 10.34 liters of gas(the gas meter is blinking).

With this I was able to travel from
- Marikina to Antipolo, and back to Marikina
that's a total of 30 kms going to antipolo and back to marikina

- then from marikina to filinvest sumulong and back to marikina again
that's 14.6kms in total

- then from marikina to Mall of Asia and back to marikina
that's roughly 49kms in total

- then again from Marikina to Mall of Asia and back to Marikina again
another 49kms in total

overall of 142.6kms on a 10 liter of gas

before the gas started to blink really fast.

these driving conditions are mix of traffic and non traffic conditions(most of the time traffic) and mix of
with/without aircondition

What do you think?
kropekoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:40 PM   #2
kropekoi

considering that its a almost a 6yr old car. :)
Old 01-27-2014, 09:33 PM   #3
dj92
Embracing Curves

Drives: '14 Prius Executive
Of almost no avail, far too long and far too small in diameter.
I've tried a quite short and straight one (went directly to a hole next to the radiator) with a diameter even slightly bigger than that of the intake last summer and the engine lost a lot of power, I had a hard time getting over 130km/h.
I think this happened because it was a textile one with a fuzzy surface.
I'm still looking for one with a smooth surface, as soon as I have new results, I'll inform you ;)
dj92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:15 AM   #4
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj92 View Post
Of almost no avail
I have to agree. Here's a video that might be of interest to you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCi2yo4UqPI
Old 01-28-2014, 06:19 AM   #5
dj92
Embracing Curves

Drives: '14 Prius Executive
Quite interesting, I've been looking for something like this for a long time, thanks a lot!
At least the 1KR-FE has a throttle body heater that uses the engine coolant.
Blocking this might decrease the intake temperature (being not aware of this, I wondered how it could rise to up to iirc 65°C last summer).

However, I rather hope for the ram air effect in order to get past the 160km/h barrier on the autobahn ;)
dj92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:50 AM   #6
alanwagen

Drives: 2015Yaris, Son's car, 10 Prius
video

Watch the video, even with holes in the tubes, I think you are still going to suck in water. IMHO, what you did looks like hell.
alanwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:39 PM   #7
kropekoi

these companies who manufacture intakes or filters won't even spend a lot of money investing on research, testing, etc just to know that their product does not work or has no effect on HP or MPG

even race cars, modified cars, etc wont even bother spending too much time and effort switching to CAI or SRI on their cars, just to find out by a test made by some guys on youtube stating that these are only myths and relatively has no effect, or if there is, then its only 5% or less.

the concept on this mod is to fill the air filter box with dense air even before the throttle body open when you press on the gas pedal. The difference on this mod or any other mods concerning intake is that we are trying to have more dense air inside the filter box so that when the throttle opens up, there's already dense air inside to suck in. Less time to suck in air, and less turbulence. Unlike in a normal cai or sri it still sucks in air which consumes time, or there will be turbulence whenever it sucks in air hence the tubing.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:56 PM   #8
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
have short style intake ...makes the car sound better as for performance i would say better gas mileage ( 50km to a tank ...maybe) and more responsive ...will be putting my cai (TRD) in the summer ...cold outside the engine bay air is more dense therefore one should get more power..how much who knows .
As for ur setup with the little tubs can see any point to it , to small for the air to go through and not direct fit to throttle body ...ram air would be a better option .
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:01 PM   #9
Viperoni

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj92 View Post
Of almost no avail, far too long and far too small in diameter.
Agreed, you may get just a little more colder air going to the airbox entrance, but I honestly don't think it's enough to make a noticeable difference, ESPECIALLY with the rough surface of the split loom tubing.

The only scientific way to test this mod is to do back to back tests monitoring the Intake Air Temperature sensor.
2005 Toyota Echo RS 4dr hatch - Cyl #3 bad - sold
2000 Toyota Echo 2dr coupe - The track car - rusty & scrapped
Viperoni is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, diy, mpg, sedan, vios