Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-05-2014, 03:54 PM   #1
toy_toronto
always toyin'

Drives: 2010 5-Dr
Wipers Not Working Properly

My wiper operation appears to be "misbehaving" and this just started all of a sudden.

The only way I can get the wipers to work is if I set the control stalk to maximum speed. Wipers do not work in Intermittent or Normal speed, just in Maximum setting

One other thing is when I turn the wipers OFF, the position of the wiper blades do not rest in its home/park position, just stops randomly anywhere on the windshiled as soon as I turn them OFF -- anyone encounter this anomaly before or have any ideas you can suggest that I can try?

thanks,
-toy

My Garage.. 'Mild' Drop & Misc..2-DIN GPS/Navi..DIY:Rear Wiper Delay..Ramps/Roll-Ups..Rain Sensing Wipers / Auto-Headlamps
toy_toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:56 PM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
You still got that rain sensor installed Toy?
Old 02-05-2014, 04:15 PM   #3
toy_toronto
always toyin'

Hey wee, I still do and still in full operation :) however it seems to be affected by the same wiper issue symptoms.

When I Enable auto-sensing, the wipers activate when water/snow/rain is present on the sensor (wipes slow or fast depending on how much moisture) however once dry, the wipers do stop but don't rest in the "home" position for some reason

My Garage.. 'Mild' Drop & Misc..2-DIN GPS/Navi..DIY:Rear Wiper Delay..Ramps/Roll-Ups..Rain Sensing Wipers / Auto-Headlamps
Old 02-05-2014, 04:26 PM   #4
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
I didn't know this would happen to a Japanese car. LOL I've only seen this on GM and Chrysler cars...
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:36 PM   #5
sex

Drives: 09 5DR
Did you try testing the wiper switch per WW-39 in the service manual? Could be the contacts inside the switch are bugging out
sex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:37 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The wiper relay is part of the stalk. There is a feedback mechanism from the wiper motor on the white wire, which is a signal fed off a cam for parking. With the both parking and low speed not working, I would suspect the stalk to be the culprit.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:00 PM   #7
toy_toronto
always toyin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sex View Post
Did you try testing the wiper switch per WW-39 in the service manual? Could be the contacts inside the switch are bugging out
With all the snow/ice we're getting here in Toronto, I haven't really had a chance to look to be honest. My garage garage is currently packed with junk right now since we just moved recently

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The wiper relay is part of the stalk. There is a feedback mechanism from the wiper motor on the white wire, which is a signal fed off a cam for parking. With the both parking and low speed not working, I would suspect the stalk to be the culprit.
I considered the relay but thought I should have no wiper operation at all if it were the cause --guess i could start hunting down a used stalk which would probably cost alot less than the local dealer's estimate charge +parts

Thanks for all your suggestions, will keep you all posted once I find a resolution!

Edit: Wondering if any of those folks who upgraded their wiper stalk with intermittent function have a spare they're willing to sell? -cheers.

-toy

Old 02-05-2014, 05:47 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by toy_toronto View Post
With all the snow/ice we're getting here in Toronto, I haven't really had a chance to look to be honest. My garage garage is currently packed with junk right now since we just moved recently

I considered the relay but thought I should have no wiper operation at all if it were the cause --guess i could start hunting down a used stalk which would probably cost alot less than the local dealer's estimate charge +parts

Thanks for all your suggestions, will keep you all posted once I find a resolution!

Edit: Wondering if any of those folks who upgraded their wiper stalk with intermittent function have a spare they're willing to sell? -cheers.

-toy

The relay in the stalk has quite a bit of additional circuitry built into it for the parking, intermittent, etc.

I have a couple of stock stalks on hand.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:56 PM   #9
toy_toronto
always toyin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The relay in the stalk has quite a bit of additional circuitry built into it for the parking, intermittent, etc.

I have a couple of stock stalks on hand.
Perfect -- you got PM