Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-28-2016, 04:11 AM   #1
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatchback
New here with a 2014 Yaris LE

Didn't see an intro place so I figured I'd post here.

I recently purchased a slightly used 2014 Yaris LE with 38K on the clock. It's existence now that I own it will be to take massive amounts of abuse as a "taxi" doing Uber and Lyft rides all over the greater Chicago area. I've ran it one day out there so far and it does pretty all right... not as good on gas as the 2005 Prius it's replacing but it's definitely more comfortable (for me) and more pleasant to drive. I've had some Echos in the past that are still on the road with over 200,000 miles and I'm hoping this little bugger will do the same.

There's a few things about the car I really don't like... the biggest being the fact that the rear seating doesn't really have lighting which I find to be a problem. Second, the lack of variable intermittent wipers for the front and back (which I found apparent fixes for on here) that I want to address. Third, on my old Prius I was able to enable the security system with the TIS but on this car apparently you can't do that unless you have a smart key system which it obviously doesn't have. We ran into this same thing with my buddy's Prius C that he has. Finally, I hate wheel covers so I'll eventually find a set of 15" rims from another Yaris or a Prius C to go on here.

Besides those things (and the resulting car payment for the next 6-ish years) the car seems to be pretty good. I like the seats, it's very comfortable for the 18-20 hour work days I pull in the car. Rear seating is pretty decent for what it is. Plus, it's kind of quirky which is neat. A ton of the reviews I saw said it's so slow and horrible but... ehh... it seems more than adequate for what it's supposed to be.

Anyway, I'll be using this car for the next 10 or 11 years so I'll be scouring the forums here to try to find anything I can to make the car nicer or better. Thanks for having me.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:02 AM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Good luck with your commercial application of your Yaris!

But...what what's dodge Aries k all about?
Old 07-28-2016, 10:51 AM   #3
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
18-20 hours, wow.

This is the first time I remember seeing someone posting about a Yaris for this type of application. Very cool; thanks for sharing. Look forward to updates about how it holds up for you and mods you do to make it more functional on the job.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:53 AM   #4
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Nice. I own the same car and I love it!
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:52 PM   #5
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
It looks very clean. What was the purchase price?
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 04:30 PM   #6
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
good choice

shes an incredibly comfortable long distance/ long hours vehicle

i drove a rental 9500 miles around the country in 11 days last year with no problems

justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 04:32 PM   #7
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Well, the "Dodge Aries K" thing is my username on most forums. Happens to go with the fact I've owned over 100 of those things and have a soft spot for them. Although, I don't have one anymore... just a Dodge Shadow convertible for Chrysler branded products. Got tired of having to fix broken stuff all the time haha.

As for the 18-20 hours, gotta make my hour and a half commute worth it!

Purchase price... too much lol. It was just over 12 grand. Was kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place when my beloved Prius told me it was done (hybrid battery failed to the point it didn't want to really run anymore) so it was retired from service. It didn't owe me anything... I traded a clunker Ram pickup and a almost dead Avalon to this small hillrod dealer for it and put over 30,000 miles on it without really any issues.

The car gets a break this weekend for Lalapalooza or whatever it's called as I'm going to take my Sienna in to get larger groups and bigger fares. Yaris will be back on next week though.

Oh, before I forget, both of my inner fender liners in the front are like... shredded. Is this a common issue on these (the other two door Yaris the dealer had was the same) or is it just a case of bad luck by the not very smart previous owner?
Old 07-28-2016, 04:34 PM   #8
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Oh, here's the interior right after I bought it pretty much. Pretty clean inside... I am happy the seats aren't that light color like some of the ones I've seen or like my buddy's Prius C. That light fabric gets nasty dirty waaaaay too quick.

Old 07-28-2016, 06:42 PM   #9
Captain Yaris

Drives: 2016 Yaris 3 Dr Super White
Welcome from S Florida!
Captain Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:31 PM   #10
kimona
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
Oh, here's the interior right after I bought it pretty much. Pretty clean inside... I am happy the seats aren't that light color like some of the ones I've seen or like my buddy's Prius C. That light fabric gets nasty dirty waaaaay too quick.

The Japanese built models get the light grey fabric and the cars built in France get that black fabric.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:03 PM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Well, the "Dodge Aries K" thing is my username on most forums. Happens to go with the fact I've owned over 100 of those things and have a soft spot for them. Although, I don't have one anymore... just a Dodge Shadow convertible for Chrysler branded products. Got tired of having to fix broken stuff all the time haha.

Purchase price... too much lol. It was just over 12 grand. Was kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place when my beloved Prius told me it was done (hybrid battery failed to the point it didn't want to really run anymore) so it was retired from service. It didn't owe me anything... I traded a clunker Ram pickup and a almost dead Avalon to this small hillrod dealer for it and put over 30,000 miles on it without really any issues.

The car gets a break this weekend for Lalapalooza or whatever it's called as I'm going to take my Sienna in to get larger groups and bigger fares. Yaris will be back on next week though.

Oh, before I forget, both of my inner fender liners in the front are like... shredded. Is this a common issue on these (the other two door Yaris the dealer had was the same) or is it just a case of bad luck by the not very smart previous owner?
The shredded liners mean that the prior owner ran wider or taller than spec tires or had the car lowered.
Old 07-29-2016, 01:34 AM   #12
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Well, the car was from Washington state from what I understand. I'd bet it had chains on it at one point or another. I will have to try to find used liners for it since I don't think the selling dealer will replace them for me.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:11 AM   #13
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:

I liked the k car when it came out but never owned one.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:03 AM   #14
kimona
Super Moderator

NEW fender liners for 2014 Yaris:

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/201...d=action_crash

http://www.partsgeek.com/cart/
Old 07-29-2016, 08:13 PM   #15
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Hmm, I don't have an SE and my car isn't a Japanese built one so I'm not sure which of those I would need.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:21 PM   #16
kimona
Super Moderator

I had the same issue; my car is a French built LE. The dealer has different part numbers for Japanese and French liners... and the price difference is absolutely ridiculous! However, according to a local dealer (Elmore Toyota, Westminster, CA), the liners are the same. Actually, I've found that many parts have different part numbers (and prices) for French built cars, but are in fact identical to the Japanese parts.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:18 PM   #17
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
I owned a '87 Plymouth Reliant K. Bought new, was still running when I got rid of it in 2000. Only problem I ever had was a bad MAP sensor that left me stranded once. Not bad for 13 years. Oh yeah the other problem was getting rear ended twice, but that wasn't Chrysler's fault.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 11:08 AM   #18
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
...according to a local dealer (Elmore Toyota, Westminster, CA)...
Ha, bought my car at Elmore.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote