Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-03-2018, 05:55 PM   #37
Runethecursed

Drives: 2009 Yaris S
I "daily" my SUV everyday that my Yaris is broke/down for mods/ inclemate weather/moving more than 2 people. ...

It has a 5.3l v8 and awd and gets me up the hills for overlanding, and it has a 8000lb tow rating (not that ill need it with an alum trailer and my yaris) and moves up to 5 people or 9 if you got some froggy people in the back.

so who's this about mom mobiles?

In all due seriousness I would love a diesel in the damn thing...
If the US manufactures made a midsized four door body on frame with a 7000+ lb towing capacity in diesel Id be over that like a fly on hot nachos...
most the midsize SUV's aren't SUV's but glorified fwd station wagons in raised seating positions...
Runethecursed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 04:10 AM   #38
BennyLava

Drives: 1987 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runethecursed View Post
glorified fwd station wagons in raised seating positions...
Always thought that too lol. And I never liked station wagons. Imo there is such a thing as too much function, too little form. On something like a car, where people care about how it looks.

There needs to be a nice balance of the two. And station wagons look like the engineers just said "Eh, they want a bigger car? Make it longer!" and the result was just a car that got real ugly cause the overall aesthetics were thrown way out of wack.
BennyLava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 11:49 AM   #39
Runethecursed

Drives: 2009 Yaris S
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyLava View Post
Always thought that too lol. And I never liked station wagons. Imo there is such a thing as too much function, too little form. On something like a car, where people care about how it looks.
And on that topic

There are gorgeous cars out that that move people and carry loads and do utility stuff short of hauling tons of lbs. But from what I know Dodge bringing the Magnum, poor sales with that and the CTS wagon, and more recently volvos low sales marque in the segment solidified the burial of the "station wagon"

which righteously sucks, that volvo is flat out gorgeous.
Runethecursed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:39 AM   #40
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyLava View Post
my experience with this:

American front wheel drive has always sucked, especially when compared to Honda and Toyota. You get american, you want real wheel drive. Its my belief that you have to play to each automaker's strengths. And it happens to be that american does Rwd pretty well. But if you want a reliable Fwd gas saver, its honda or toyota. Not really any exceptions unless you like car problems after you've had the car a good while.

And for tough strong trucks, you don't want honda or toyota. Even the half tons from the U.S are better at their jobs than the toyota half tons. Just take one look at the metal under the back end of the tundra, when parked beside an F150. It becomes pretty clear. My buddy's new tundra could just barely pull my boat. And it kinda failed cause we were going up a slight hill and the RPMs were high, and we were slowing down. Not happening with the F150. Gotta play to their strengths.

I'd still avoid dodge though. Dodge is the poor kid of america, kind of like nissan. They like to have wtf style engine problems. Like eating their own crankshafts. Like nissan, dodge is cheaper for good reason. Its apparent in every aspect. They ride rougher. The interior quality is notably poorer. A lot of people see that cheap dodge price and think they're getting some kind of a deal. They're not.

You go to work on a nissan, (which you'll be doing more frequently) and your hands get all cut up. Working on a honda is generally a pleasure.
I couldn't disagree more, although American cars do get a really bad rap. I've driven plenty of fun American fwd vehicles, the first gen Taurus SHO was sensational. I do think Ford should bring the Fiesta ST, as that car is just awesome. That and the Focus RS along with the Mustang are really the only cars Ford needs.

It really is about reliability, but American manufacturers SUV's have reliability issues as well.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:57 AM   #41
Captain Yaris

Drives: 2016 Yaris 3 Dr Super White
I know I’m probably in the minority but I love wagons. I just saw a Volvo V90 Cross Country in silver and I haven’t been stood in my tracks by a car in a long time. I’d love to have a diesel wagon, but so far here in ‘Murica, the BMW 328d Sport Wagon is the closest choice. I’m positively scared of the reliability and maintenance costs associated with BMW’s.
Captain Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:37 AM   #42
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
My brother-in-law is a BMW mechanic and he says no one should buy a BMW unless they plan to sell it after the warranty is up.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:17 PM   #43
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Ford Fights Back Against Claims It's Killing The Car:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news...cid=spartanntp
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:11 PM   #44
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Subaru: Sedans, Traditional Cars Are Still Relevant