Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #1
peewee1
PEEWEE1

Drives: 2009 yaris s sedan
re-learning ecm?

Am I to understand that there is a way to make my ecm (the cars computer) re learn my driving habits? My 2009 Yaris S is a used vehicle and I have no idea how it was driven by the previous owner. I would like to have my car react to my habits not some lead foot!!!
peewee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:06 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The ECM can be made to re-learn the short term fuel trims, by simply disconnecting the negative battery terminal for a couple of minutes. As far as re-learning shifting patterns relative to your driving style - That requires resetting the automatic transmission control within the ECM via the Toyota TechStream tool. I did that on my 09 about two weeks after I installed my Blitz Supercharger and noticed that once I did so the tranny shift points seemed better relative to the extra boost from the S/C.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:30 PM   #3
caineroad

Drives: 06 Yaris HB CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The ECM can be made to re-learn the short term fuel trims, by simply disconnecting the negative battery terminal for a couple of minutes. As far as re-learning shifting patterns relative to your driving style - That requires resetting the automatic transmission control within the ECM via the Toyota TechStream tool. I did that on my 09 about two weeks after I installed my Blitz Supercharger and noticed that once I did so the tranny shift points seemed better relative to the extra boost from the S/C.
Can we use the same tool to create a 'sport mode' type of thing, where it will keeps the rev high?
caineroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:48 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by caineroad View Post
Can we use the same tool to create a 'sport mode' type of thing, where it will keeps the rev high?
To some extent yes. If you reset the ECM's tranny control and then drive it like you stole it the ECM should learn that shifting behavior.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:59 PM   #5
caineroad

Drives: 06 Yaris HB CE
I see... I wonder if is it possible to individually set each gear shift point using the techstream tool? or the minimum speed for cruise control?
caineroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:04 AM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by caineroad View Post
I see... I wonder if is it possible to individually set each gear shift point using the techstream tool? or the minimum speed for cruise control?
No
Old 07-18-2013, 11:33 PM   #7
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
curious question CTScott, is it good for a manual tranny? I drive normally, but because of inconsistent fuel economy figures sometimes on a drive it like a stole it manner (some nights/highway).

I still can't figure out the best shifting points that will keep fuel economy figures high. the manual states the best shift points but they're usually on 3k rpm point. are those accurate? or should i unplug the negative terminal then drive normal 100% (or for most of the time)?
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:14 AM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcboy View Post
curious question CTScott, is it good for a manual tranny? I drive normally, but because of inconsistent fuel economy figures sometimes on a drive it like a stole it manner (some nights/highway).

I still can't figure out the best shifting points that will keep fuel economy figures high. the manual states the best shift points but they're usually on 3k rpm point. are those accurate? or should i unplug the negative terminal then drive normal 100% (or for most of the time)?
The tranny related reset is purely for the AT. If you do a throttle body and/or MAF cleaning, doing the battery disconnect reset is a good idea to reset the fuel trims.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:45 AM   #9
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
oh i see. so i guess it's the inconsistent city traffic that i don't notice anymore (been living and driving in the city for more than a decade). sigh.

thanks a bunch scott! i wish there was a filipino version of you here. :)
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote