Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 03-14-2019, 09:23 AM   #19
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Drives: 2015 Yaris LE 3door 1F7
200$ for 4 high performance all season tyres.
DarkShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:10 PM   #20
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
The General Altimax RT43 T-rated or H-rated. Used the H-rated for one winter and they did well. The T is rated slightly better for winter by Consumer Reports. The H has a firmer sidewall. They are both under $65 at Walmart. See tire reviews at Walmart and TireRack.
I'll second the Altimax RT43. I have at least 50k miles on my set, and they still have plenty of life left. They offer good dry and wet grip for being all season tires.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:46 PM   #21
Hamster

Drives: 2009 5-Door Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
Why procrastinate? Git 'er done!
Well, I have a couple more days to decide! The thing is, I'd hate to get rid of my OEM tires if they're still usable. I figure that ten years thing applies to, well, normal people. UV rays apparently break down rubber, but my car spends maximum four hours a week outside my garage. I have a couple more days to figure out what I'm going to do. There's definitely no cracks on the outer sidewall. But, I realize that I never inspected the inner sidewall. I'll get under my car in the next couple of days with a flashlight and inspect. If I see cracking, I'll go order up new tires.
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:00 PM   #22
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
If you think your OEM tyres are still "usable", then simply run a craigslist ad and you'll probably sell them quickly. That's what I've always done. Nothing like having nice new rubber on your car.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:43 PM   #23
Hamster

Okay, update. I could not outrun time and physics. In the past month, the OEM tires rapidly declined. I started seeing dry rot, as well as very visible cracking on the sidewalls. I felt it was no longer safe to drive the car. Luckily, Michelin came out with another $70 rebate, right when I needed it. So, I ordered a new set of Michelin Defender tires, and got them installed at my nearest Discount Tire.

All I can say is, WOW! I am COMPLETELY blown away by how a set of good quality tires changes the handling and the overall feel of the drive. I know it's cliché, but my only regret is not changing out the tires earlier. I long presumed the iffy handling at high speeds (by which I mean 80 mph), as well as the ever-present road noise, were because the Yaris is a "cheap car." I had no clue those two problems were because of the cheap OEM tires. The ride is so much quieter, and the car grips the road so well and feels more stable when changing lanes on the freeway. And the Yaris so much more fun to drive! For anyone on the fence about splurging on pricey tires, I say, do it! It's worth the money.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:29 AM   #24
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
Well, I have a couple more days to decide! The thing is, I'd hate to get rid of my OEM tires if they're still usable. I figure that ten years thing applies to, well, normal people. UV rays apparently break down rubber, but my car spends maximum four hours a week outside my garage. I have a couple more days to figure out what I'm going to do. There's definitely no cracks on the outer sidewall. But, I realize that I never inspected the inner sidewall. I'll get under my car in the next couple of days with a flashlight and inspect. If I see cracking, I'll go order up new tires.
I get rid of my tires at 6 years mark no matter they are still good or not. I'm not taking a chance of a blow up, especially with the kids. If you live anywhere in new England or in Canada, that's usually the time tires have already show sign of dry rot.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Old 04-30-2019, 09:18 PM   #25
Hamster

I live in Ohio, so it's cold and snowy here, too. Given the condition of the tires, I was probably lucky I didn't experience a blow out. In retrospect, I was really foolish to be driving on tires over ten years old, and it's something I won't do again. The cracks looked really minor for the past year, but then they got really, really bad seemingly overnight. Next time, I will change out the tires at the first sign of cracking, no matter how minor. Or sooner if they show signs of dry rot.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:30 AM   #26
bob225

Drives: Yaris
Tyres or tires are a big can of worms, mine had 2 badly cracking Dunlop's on the rear and 2 random Chinese ones on the front fitted by a main dealer (these were cheap $%^) by the previous owner

I now have 4 new Avon's ZT7 that have transformed the car, I now trust the car knowing im not going to find the nearest ditch at the slightest drop of water
bob225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:38 AM   #27
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
tires are the best bang for your buck mod to your car.

Tags
tires