Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-21-2013, 03:21 PM   #1
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Upper third brake light led mod for the yaris sedan

So I sealed out the port where my third brake light used to be on my car when i installed subs in my rear deck thus turning my trunk into my sub box. I have been driving without a third brake light for awile and been looking for a alternative. I found a kit that has a led strip that I plan to mount up high near the top of the back window. Which i think is already where it is on the lift back to begin with. And probally where it should be on the sedan as my car is lowered already and the factory spot isnt really much higher than your normal brake lights it dosnt provide any visiblity for large trucks like it is designed for.

Here are a few pictures as i test things out. Its going to be a bit more cleaner install when its done but just to get the idea how its going to look. Its going to be wired so when you signal the left part of the brake light will flash when turning right and the right side as well too.

YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:26 PM   #2
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
I was just on my way to the LED shops planning to DIY our 3rd brake lights on the sedan to LED, but i can't figure out a way to mount it inside the plastic case so i didn't proceed with the purchase. Now I've switched my interest to this, thanks for the wonderful idea.

I was thinking of getting BMW Led 3rd brake lights from the junk yard as they are up there on stock cars...or maybe some other OEM ones. what do you think?

Please DO keep us posted. I'm also interested in how you mounted it.
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:52 AM   #3
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
So I decided the chrome form the led brake light stood out too much even behind the tinted windows so i decided to give it the black chrome treatment as well lol....

BEFORE

AFTER

YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote