Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-11-2014, 10:27 AM   #19
Ryze268

Drives: 2002 JDM Vitz 1.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTS View Post
1) yes you can but do it neat if you decide to as any tape that blocks a passage can be the end of a turbo or even the engine. There is a liquid thread seal that can be purchased that works good and will avoid blockages. Those couplings/fittings are designed to prevent leaks.
2) I have no idea wish I had a turbo vitz to tell you. You wud need at least a 2 bar map sensor (1 bar vacuum and 1 bar boost) wired to your management of choice and the clip the MAF sensor voltage at atmospheric pressure.
3) Use the same oil you usually use. Turbos are designed to be used with a wide variety of oils. What is more important is using the correct oil restrictor for your turbo. Too much or too little oil pressure to a turbo is what destroys the turbo. Your turbo looks like a chine turbo therefore you should prime the oil system before starting ( unplug all coils and injectors) and tumble the car with the oil return disconnected. Then start the car only when oil drains from the oil return line. This will ensure that the turbo is receiving oil. When I had a chine T2860 turbo I had a radiator repair place weld close the oil supply banjo bolt and then I re-drilled a smaller hole to limit oil pressure to the turbo. Garrett website indicates the oil restrictor size for journal and ball bearing turbos. Or contact the turbo supplier and ask them if a restrictor is needed then ask them again lol.
Sorry I think I got carried away. I just miss having a turbo charged car and remembering all the little projects I had to do.
Thanks much, I'm using a t25 banjo feed kit so I'm hoping it already has the required oil restriction

Follow me on Instagram:

instagram.com/itzkingjustin
Ryze268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:56 AM   #20
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryze268 View Post
Thanks much, I'm using a t25 banjo feed kit so I'm hoping it already has the required oil restriction
Most of the banjo feed kits do have built in restrictors, but they typically are offered in separate choices of 1.5mm for journal bearings and 1.0mm for ball bearings.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:15 PM   #21
Ryze268

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Most of the banjo feed kits do have built in restrictors, but they typically are offered in separate choices of 1.5mm for journal bearings and 1.0mm for ball bearings.
Do you think I'm safe with mine? another question, what's wrong with running the return line to the oil pan?

Follow me on Instagram:

Last edited by Ryze268; 11-11-2014 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:54 PM   #22
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Do you think I'm safe with mine? another question, what's wrong with running the return line to the oil pan?
Just check the size of the hole in it. If it is too large then you maintain pressure through the turbo, which can cause oil seepage through the bearing and hence smoke out the exhaust. The return oil line can also cause the same problem if the oil exiting meets resistance (like pumping up through a puddle of oil). That and frothing of the oil are why you want the return above the level of the oil in the pan.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:30 AM   #23
Ryze268

Quote:
Just check the size of the hole in it. If it is too large then you maintain pressure through the turbo, which can cause oil seepage through the bearing and hence smoke out the exhaust. The return oil line can also cause the same problem if the oil exiting meets resistance (like pumping up through a puddle of oil). That and frothing of the oil are why you want the return above the level of the oil in the pan.
Oh darn, that sounds terrible. Would I need to take the engine out to drill into the upper oil pan assembly?

I'm also looking for a base tune that has the maf clamp already set up for the F/IC 6

Follow me on Instagram:

Old 11-12-2014, 08:39 AM   #24
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Oh darn, that sounds terrible. Would I need to take the engine out to drill into the upper oil pan assembly?

I'm also looking for a base tune that has the maf clamp already set up for the F/IC 6
With a right angle drill you should be able to do it in place. You will need to remove the oil pan when doing so to make sure you don't have any metal left behind.

For the MAF clamp it is best to follow the procedure shown in the F/IC documentation for doing so, as your air intake setup may provide different readings than on another car.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:54 AM   #25
Ryze268

Quote:
With a right angle drill you should be able to do it in place. You will need to remove the oil pan when doing so to make sure you don't have any metal left behind.

For the MAF clamp it is best to follow the procedure shown in the F/IC documentation for doing so, as your air intake setup may provide different readings than on another car.
Sounds good.

I was watching the AEM tutorials and thy said to install the FIC and collect data while the car is stock first so that's what I'm trying to do.

Follow me on Instagram:

Old 11-12-2014, 10:06 AM   #26
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Sounds good.

I was watching the AEM tutorials and thy said to install the FIC and collect data while the car is stock first so that's what I'm trying to do.
Correct. That is how you see where the MAF needs to be clamped on your particular setup.
Old 11-12-2014, 04:42 PM   #27
Ryze268

Quote:
Correct. That is how you see where the MAF needs to be clamped on your particular setup.
Thanks, I wired up the FIC (haven't soldered it yet as I'm not sure about the pinout info I have) I hooked up the bypass harness and it starts.

It idles really high (1500-2000rpm) not sure why, i haven't tried driving it yet. Hopefully I won't run into any issues and I need to get to work tonight.

If it drives well, i'll let my friend solder it tomorrow.

Follow me on Instagram:

Old 11-12-2014, 09:03 PM   #28
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Mine backed up and smoked with the restrictor. Ran perfectly without it. Depends on your set up I think.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:39 PM   #29
Ryze268

Thanks Garm, I'll try it will just the banjo fitting. I'm using -8 AN for the return, since my turbo will be above the engine I'm hoping that gravity will be on my side.

This is the fitting:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turbo-Oil-Fe...03d73e&vxp=mtr

I made it to work tonight (there's where I'm writing this from lol).

Since the car runs fine with the bypass harness connected, does that mean I wired it correctly?

Follow me on Instagram:

Old 11-12-2014, 10:48 PM   #30
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:

Since the car runs fine with the bypass harness connected, does that mean I wired it correctly?
The bypass connector just jumps the intercepted wires together. It basically verifies that your in and out pairs are correct for any of the intercepted wires.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:57 PM   #31
Ryze268

Quote:
The bypass connector just jumps the intercepted wires together. It basically verifies that your in and out pairs are correct for any of the intercepted wires.
Awww so that means I'm not in the clear yet huh?

Follow me on Instagram:

Old 11-13-2014, 08:53 AM   #32
Ryze268

Connected the F/IC today with the AEM supplied base map, at first the car wouldn't start then when it did, it struggled to idle and would not rev past 3000rpm.

Am I missing something?

Follow me on Instagram:

Old 11-13-2014, 09:28 AM   #33
kou

Drives: 08 lb
Is this the first start up? Is your car still stock? If it is you should have all zeros in all the maps so that it doesn't make any changes to the factory tune.
kou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:59 AM   #34
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Also, make sure on the AEM software that you go into "Setup" "System" and set the injector response time to 810 us.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:29 AM   #35
Ryze268

Quote:
Originally Posted by kou View Post
Is this the first start up? Is your car still stock? If it is you should have all zeros in all the maps so that it doesn't make any changes to the factory tune.
Yes, still stock except 1ZZ injectors, all the maps are zero'd

Follow me on Instagram:

Old 11-13-2014, 11:53 AM   #36
kou

Drives: 08 lb
You should go to injector size change put in original size then change to 1zz. I think stock is 200cc and 1zz is 250cc if I remember correctly.
kou is offline   Reply With Quote