Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-13-2019, 06:15 PM   #1
Jeffbass

Drives: 2010 Yaris
Cv axle play at auto transmission leading me towards trans swap

So I was hearing some clunking when parking or leaving a spot where the wheel was turned hard. I figured it was the cv axles so I replaced both still had a lot of play it has now gotten even worse, so I have been looking into changing the transmission for a low mileage junk yard one. Was wondering if I am on the right track with a trans swap as my only good option or can the differential guts be worked on with it in the car? I have also been looking at dropping the trans and it looks like it will come straight down without removing the subframe. Has anyone had success with this? I can’t seem to find much in the way of a Yaris trans swap online and don’t really have the means to pull the engine and trans in one piece and I am also trying to keep from opening the ac system. Anyone know of a good write up, video or manual. Thanks in advance
Jeffbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:38 PM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Engine can be pulled without draining the a/c system if you move it to the side, just he careful not to hit the lines. That said, you can drop the trans only and keep the subframe in place, the trans weighs about 100lbs even.

Aftermarket cv axles are known to be crap and clunky compared to OEM. That said OEM are crazy expensive but for a good reason. Trans needs to be split to access the diff, typically they dont fail in the yaris and unless you know for sure, I wouldn't waste time opening the trans and pulling gears to get to the diff.

A junkyard trans would be an easier swap but who knows how the trans would be. FWIW my trans/axles clunk like crazy going in and out of my driveway with ever since I swapped my trans and diff first an lsd. I obviously have a much different set up but it's something to note. I have no issues or leaks and that is with clunks and a lot if track time. It may be best to just leave it as is.

My axles currently have a lot of play where they mate with the trans, hasn't caused any issues in over 2 years if hard driving with them like that
Old 05-13-2019, 07:59 PM   #3
Jeffbass

Drives: 2010 Yaris
Hey tmontague, thanks for the reply. I thought it looked like it would fit going down but had read somewhere that subframe had to come out. I am glad I asked. I am worried about leaving it as is because when I check the play it transfers to the other axle and it’s has a lot movement. The axles I have are after market but I had a ton of play with the oem ones before I changed them. In the last few weeks it has definitely gotten a lot worse. I was honestly thinking about just selling it but, I don’t think it would be worth it to sell as it sits.
Jeffbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:12 PM   #4
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
I honestly cant say whether the play or normal or not. I've always had it ever since I first started checking after my trans swap

It's hard to distinguish between inner joint play and play in the transmission itself