Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-25-2019, 07:33 PM   #73
mirageman

Drives: 2009 yaris
Yay! 48.3 mpg highway, light throttle 60-68mph.... loving these cheap plugs!
mirageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 06:35 PM   #74
BIGTAZ351
147K-Blue / 24K-Yellow

Drives: 2010 Ylw 3dr. AT(Blue-Wife's)
Update on Anti-Seize

Well then, I have some "Updating" of my own...It was found incorrect to depend on NGK’s "trivalent coating" and not using anti-seize (my mechanic friends joke as “irrelevant coating”). It has been discovered in the mechanic world that it isn't as good for corrosion/seizure protection as once thought, especially on subsequent (after first factory installation) new plug installations, as can be seen in many of the removed plug photos you will have carbon in the plug and head threads, and that can/will cause seizure of the plug, if you don’t clean it off (not recommended as you dump that crap down on top of the piston and it can damage the cylinder walls) or add a small amount of anti-seize and torque them to the proper “lubed” torque spec. After the steel “coated” but not anti-seized plug has been installed and heated thousands of times in an aluminum head, and that heating/cooling causes the plug to microscopically “walk” in the head due to the dissimilar metal’s expansion rates, creating a carbon grinding action, which breaks down the coating, and allows corrosion of causes seizure. The plug manufacturers don’t want you to use anti-seize because not many people know how to de-rate the torque spec for installing the plugs. However, there are automotive manufactures that DO recommend using anti-seize, regardless of the plug mfr’s recommendations.

Just what I have learned from the Automotive and in the Power-Sports world, in the last 8 years…

I have always used Anti-Seize as taught to at the small engine mechanic shop I grew up in, but it was more a personal preference thing. (I even use it on lug nuts and other long-term attachments, never had a problem, EVER.)

I also change my plugs long before the 100,000 mile recommendation.

Repair List:
1 new blower motor, making funny noise. @ 91K (Water pump @ 120K)
Mod List:
1. Black tape on most of the annoying blue high beam light behind the lens. (thank you CTScott)
BIGTAZ351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 02:01 PM   #75
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
The plugs went 150,000 miles in my wife’s Camry. The new ones didn’t make it run any better the old ones work just fine.

The accessory belt and 150,000 miles on it also before I change it. The gauge I got said it was not worn at all. I could nt Bear to throw it out.
Old 11-04-2019, 05:20 PM   #76
BIGTAZ351
147K-Blue / 24K-Yellow

I have found going longer distances on plugs causes other problems that may or may not be apparent right away... In the old days it would burn rotor and cap due to excessive secondary resistance...NOW it causes coil packs to get hot and burn out, due to excessive secondary resistance...

I always keep the old belt in the back (along with a few tools to do the emergency change) but once they start drying out/squealing/cracking...time to kick it out, I would rather NOT have it crap out along side the road, because I was too cheap/lazy to do preventative maint.

Repair List:
Mod List:
1. Black tape on most of the annoying blue high beam light behind the lens. (thank you CTScott)
Old 11-05-2019, 08:28 PM   #77
"G"

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatch
I have never had an issue not using anti-seize on plugs. My Yaris has 300k on it. I'm on my 2nd set of Denso Iridium power plugs. Oem plugs I took out at 100k. Installed the first set of Denso's and took them out at 200k. No seizures yet. I've not used anti-seize once since my first spark plug job in 1992. Not one seizure on many of my platforms, 80's rx-7's, 90's rx-7,s, 90's supra, 90's Landcruiser, 90's Toyota pickups, 90's dsm's, 2006 merc amg's, mitsu gvr4's, Cressida, 90's skyline gtr, Lancia Integrale, 2004 Mitsu Evo, the list goes on. You do not need it. It also reduces the sparkplug grounding connection.
"G" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 05:50 PM   #78
BIGTAZ351
147K-Blue / 24K-Yellow

Well, To each their own.
I have been using anti-seize on plugs for 35 years, and have had ZERO problems, I would strongly disagree with the theory that it inhibits grounding of the plugs...My Ohm Meter also disagrees.
I am just stating what works well for me... And Preventative Maintenance is better than a tow bill.

Repair List:
Mod List:
Old 05-14-2020, 02:35 PM   #79
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGTAZ351 View Post
I have found going longer distances on plugs causes other problems that may or may not be apparent right away...
Can you elaborate?

Just hit 175k miles on my original plugs. Car still seems to drive the same and get the same gas mileage so I haven't bothered changing them.
Old 08-08-2021, 11:40 AM   #80
mik36

Drives: VERSO S
I am in same dilemma

I have DENSO SC16HR11

https://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=63470

Looking to replace

I viewed with techstream misfire on cylinder 1

IS NGK is better than DENSO ?
mik36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 08:08 AM   #81
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I changed the spark plugs on my wife’s 2005 Camry at 150,000 miles and they looked perfect in the car ran perfect also. I think it was $40 for the iridium plugs.

Totally unnecessaryIn my opinion. But I would recommend removing the plugs so they don’t become seized. I would say 50,000 miles to remove and reinstall plugs is a good idea. I think I also put anti-seize on the new plugs I put in. If the plugs seas and you stripped them removing them that wouldn’t be good.