Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-27-2009, 12:19 AM   #37
cyberfrogg

Drives: Yaris Sedan S
lol thats the DIY i used to wire em up and thats how I got the problem in the first place. I have the exact same fog kit, except for the sedan. And I wired it how the DIY said but then the switch seems to work in reverse... ahhh..
cyberfrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:10 AM   #38
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The more I look at this issue, I think that the switch is the issue. The OEM stalk switch is just a switch, connecting pins 3 and 4 on D4. The OEM console switch has the switch isolated from the leds. In the picture of the guts of your switch on that DIY, the switch LED is part of the switch circuit. I think that is what is causing the headaches.

I would modify the switch as follows:

1. Cut the marked trace.
2. Remove the diode.
3. Solder the two jumper wires as indicated.
4. If the pads for the switch are bridged together (where the word "switch" is between two sets of 3 pads), separate them. The switch is a dual pole switch, which allows it to separately switch the two circuits.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:17 AM   #39
cyberfrogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The more I look at this issue, I think that the switch is the issue. The OEM stalk switch is just a switch, connecting pins 3 and 4 on D4. The OEM console switch has the switch isolated from the leds. In the picture of the guts of your switch on that DIY, the switch LED is part of the switch circuit. I think that is what is causing the headaches.

I would modify the switch as follows:

1. Cut the marked trace.
2. Remove the diode.
3. Solder the two jumper wires as indicated.
4. If the pads for the switch are bridged together (where the word "switch" is between two sets of 3 pads), separate them. The switch is a dual pole switch, which allows it to separately switch the two circuits.
I'm sorry I am so confused.. I don't know anything about wiring/electricity and stuff... Can you clear things up..?

thanks..
Old 04-27-2009, 11:24 AM   #40
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfrogg View Post
I'm sorry I am so confused.. I don't know anything about wiring/electricity and stuff... Can you clear things up..?

thanks..
In a nutshell, the switch that came with the kit was designed to be used with the kit, not to be used with the OEM wiring. In order for it to work correctly with the OEM wiring, it needs to be modified. The two easiest fixes without modifying the switch would be to get either an OEM fog light stalk, or the OEM fog light switch.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:32 PM   #41
cyberfrogg

oooooohhh!!! Sorry! I was at school and didnt see there was a picture there... Im understanding it more. my only questions are:

How do I open the switch to see what the picture shows?

where/what is the diode?

what are the two jumper cables and where do I solder them?

and what do u mean by "If the pads for the switch are bridged together (where the word "switch" is between two sets of 3 pads), separate them."?

sorry again and thanks...
Old 04-27-2009, 10:30 PM   #42
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
Wow CTScott. I don't know what the heck is that, but it sure looks like you know your stuff! :) U DA MAN!

Cyberfrogg, if you really want everything to work like factory then it looks like you got a lot of work to do. I think most people just install the kit as-is and don't even bother with getting it to work like factory. But good luck anyway!

Last edited by yarisugi; 04-28-2009 at 12:56 AM.
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:21 PM   #43
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfrogg View Post
oooooohhh!!! Sorry! I was at school and didnt see there was a picture there... Im understanding it more. my only questions are:

How do I open the switch to see what the picture shows?

where/what is the diode?

what are the two jumper cables and where do I solder them?

and what do u mean by "If the pads for the switch are bridged together (where the word "switch" is between two sets of 3 pads), separate them."?

sorry again and thanks...

To open it, there should be two tabs about 3/4" above the connector that can be pressed in to pull the connector and circuit board away from the housing.

The diode is the orange and black device.

The "jumpers" are two pieces of insulated wire that you will need to strip the ends of a solder them between the indicated endpoints.

By bridged I mean connected. They may have a silver solder blob (silver) connecting them or there may be a trace (shiny green) connecting them.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:56 PM   #44
toy_toronto
always toyin'

Drives: 2010 5-Dr
I can't thank CTScott enough for all of his contribution here. Everytime I needed wiring help, I just search and almost guaranteed that I will find the answer from one of his postings.

Anyway, I PM'd him today about getting my fog lights instrumental panel indicator lights to come on. I hope someone can benefit from this information in the future:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott
Quote:
Originally Posted by toy_toronto
Hi CTScott, sorry to bother you but you seem to be the resident guru here in terms of electical wirings.

I got my fogs hooked up the "old school" way, no factory stalk switch, no factory harnes, etc. except I used the supplied switch and relay with the kit and tapped on the car's existing 12V constant feed and 12v ACC (just in case i leave the fog lights switch to ON unintentionally they turn off when I take the keys off the ignition). The OEM-style switch and kit relay are all mounted electrically sound, and the way my fogs are wired is completely independent of the low/hi beam/park light status. I turn it on or off on demand.

The only thing I would like to have now is to have the intrumental panel fog lights indicator to turn on/off depending on the status of my fogs.

Your post below seems to be simple enough to follow.. is this the definitive way to fire that dash fog indicator light on or off? There seems to be some confusement as I read the rest of the thread.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15941

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Or, if you're installing aftermarket fogs without the stalk switch, you can fire the indicator directly by supplying 12V to the red wire on Pin 7 of the D2 connector on the combination meter.

Ah Yes - That tends to happen in those kinds of threads. But, yes supplying +12 to the red wire when your fogs are on will make the indicator light up.

As for the end result?

Tada!!!! Thanks CTScott

-toy

My Garage.. 'Mild' Drop & Misc..2-DIN GPS/Navi..DIY:Rear Wiper Delay..Ramps/Roll-Ups..Rain Sensing Wipers / Auto-Headlamps
toy_toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:12 PM   #45
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Mine lights up too. Looks factory...because it IS!

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:04 AM   #46
mario98c

Drives: Toyota Yaris Sedan 09 STD
Thanks to CTScott!
Old 01-22-2013, 12:19 AM   #47
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
I know this is an old thread, but after going thru all the threads about the indicator on the cluster, i feel this route is the easiest since i dont know how my factory wired aftermarket fogs were connected. But one thing is for sure, it doesnt turn the indicator on the cluster on.

question then is, what is the easiest way to get the 12v to run into this d2-pin7 wire once the fogs are turned on? (What came to.mind was tapping the switch but which one? worse,tapping into the live wire going into the fog.)

I have esuse with 2 green wires and black and blue IIRC, basically a total of four--similar to the one above.

Tia.
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:54 AM   #48
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
Since you have the ESUSE foglight kits, please read THIS THREAD. It should answer most or all your questions.
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:04 AM   #49
jcboy

thanks yarisugi. yes it does, and honestly i'm thankful for that thread. However, i still have two items that are stopping me from following that (thus the d2 connector option im leaning towards):

1) i am unsure as to whether my cluster has a fog light indicator, that's why i need the D2 connector way (if possible) to check if it does
2) i cant seem to find the wiring (or at the least figure it out) of this esuse wiring that the factory installed. moreover, they might have gone a unique route of wiring this up. if i can get the lower kick panel to come off, i probably will be able to see better--rather than the sunglass holder only coming of--again, thus the D2 connector route..
Old 01-22-2013, 10:04 AM   #50
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcboy View Post
thanks yarisugi. yes it does, and honestly i'm thankful for that thread. However, i still have two items that are stopping me from following that (thus the d2 connector option im leaning towards):

1) i am unsure as to whether my cluster has a fog light indicator, that's why i need the D2 connector way (if possible) to check if it does
2) i cant seem to find the wiring (or at the least figure it out) of this esuse wiring that the factory installed. moreover, they might have gone a unique route of wiring this up. if i can get the lower kick panel to come off, i probably will be able to see better--rather than the sunglass holder only coming of--again, thus the D2 connector route..
Start by shining a flashlight on the cluster. You will see all of the unlit indicators, including the foglight one (if it is there).
Old 01-24-2013, 04:46 PM   #51
jcboy

Thanks scott. Well, I did what you said, unfortunately it is sooooo hard to see the cluster lights since the gauge face is practically opaque even if light is shone on it. I would like to take a look at tom under a strong sun though--although i think (i hope im right) that i saw a fog and a rear fog symbol on the right side, roughly above the lcd display of the gauge.

If I do, then what's the next move for me as far as the simpler D2 12V wiring goes? I don't want to modify the foglight wiring as bold as the one in the thread Yarisugi posted a link for, as i'm afraid that if and when I would claim electrical warranty, it can easily be seen by the service guy.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:32 PM   #52
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcboy View Post
Thanks scott. Well, I did what you said, unfortunately it is sooooo hard to see the cluster lights since the gauge face is practically opaque even if light is shone on it. I would like to take a look at tom under a strong sun though--although i think (i hope im right) that i saw a fog and a rear fog symbol on the right side, roughly above the lcd display of the gauge.

If I do, then what's the next move for me as far as the simpler D2 12V wiring goes? I don't want to modify the foglight wiring as bold as the one in the thread Yarisugi posted a link for, as i'm afraid that if and when I would claim electrical warranty, it can easily be seen by the service guy.

I wound need to see the wires on the two connectors at the base of your instrument cluster to determine if the wiring matches the wiring diagrams that I have.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:29 AM   #53
jcboy

Ok i do i have a fog light indicator and even the rearfog! If my assumptions are correct, then it should be the same wiring but ill take a screenshot of it and post it here tom as its already night here and the flash or fluorescent lights will mess up the hues let alone the colors of the wires.

Thanks!
Old 01-25-2013, 01:49 PM   #54
kosy_m

Drives: toyota vitz
Done, Thanks CTScott
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130125_231942.jpg (253.8 KB, 140 views)
kosy_m is offline   Reply With Quote