Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-12-2009, 01:22 AM   #19
ztrack157
Vroom Vroom Beep Beep

Drives: Powered Roller Skate
Send a message via AIM to ztrack157 Send a message via MSN to ztrack157 Send a message via Yahoo to ztrack157
Ok guys the motor is not the issue. I need to know were the fuse is for this. Eliminating the possible problems one by one. LOL. It may be grounding or it maybe the switch itself. Either way I need some help.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:49 AM   #20
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztrack157 View Post
Ok guys the motor is not the issue. I need to know were the fuse is for this. Eliminating the possible problems one by one. LOL. It may be grounding or it maybe the switch itself. Either way I need some help.
The fuse is under the bottom of the dash on the driver's side (look up from the floor and you'll see the cover with the labels). The fuse is #3, which is labeled as WIP and is a 25A fuse.

You mentioned before reading voltage on some of the pins on the wiper connector. This more than likely means that the fuse is not the issue. Can you take readings again and post the wire color and what the voltage reads on it (with the wiper switch off, then with the wiper switch in "high")?
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:26 PM   #21
ztrack157
Vroom Vroom Beep Beep

Drives: Powered Roller Skate
Send a message via AIM to ztrack157 Send a message via MSN to ztrack157 Send a message via Yahoo to ztrack157
Ok with the wipers off. I get 12 volts from the non ground pins. As soon as I hit the switch nada.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:20 PM   #22
Havoc
Zee Bold Novice

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3Dr
I just had this problem. Although it doesn't sound like the same cause as Ztrack's, here it is for the record. I had headers installed and they apparently took off the top cowl. I checked the fuse and all, then found this lonely connector just dangling in the wind behind the battery.

It goes here after removing the wipers and cowl.

EDIT: I had coilovers install at the same time. That might be why they disconnected it.

Last edited by Havoc; 07-02-2009 at 03:56 PM.
Havoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 01:30 PM   #23
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Wow, you already did this all on an '09?

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 01:37 PM   #24
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
n/m repost
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:09 PM   #25
TOLMACH

Drives: soarer
(Rise of the dead)

Just had a similar problem. Wipers stopped working.

After reading this thread checked fuse number 3 under the steering wheel which appeared to be blown. Replaced the fuse with a new one. Now everything is working

Thanks to CTScott for detailed info on fuse location.
TOLMACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:23 AM   #26
ptitpiffute

Drives: Yaris RS 2007
Hi Guys,

I've a similar issue but a bit weird. When it's cold, front wipers stop moving and when the car is getting warmer, sometimes they work. As soon as it is not freezing, it works fine.

Battery was changed today and not sure it changed something.

Can you help ? It sounds like corrosion somewhere ....

Thx
ptitpiffute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 11:21 AM   #27
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptitpiffute View Post
Hi Guys,

I've a similar issue but a bit weird. When it's cold, front wipers stop moving and when the car is getting warmer, sometimes they work. As soon as it is not freezing, it works fine...
Sorry for reviving an old thread but I've looked at all 120 something posts relating to wipers and this is the closest to my issue.

I've recently purchased a 2007 base model lb. With 120,000k on it now. My first Toyota.

As anyone in southern Ontario knows, its been a mild winter so far this year. 2 days ago I was on my way to work north of Toronto. As I went to exit the hiway I went for the windshield washers. They sprayed but the wipers were on strike. ( it was particularly cold that day) it kinda broke my heart, I've heard such good things about Toyota and yaris.

Later on after work, when it had warmed up at bit, they worked fine.

The next day, -20°c. Again they were on strike. The wipers wouldn't react at all to the switch. Like the car was off. After doing some interior wiring (CTScotts cruise control diy) with the car running for heat, the wipers were working flawlessly again.

The next day, -20°c again. Wipers = door nail = dead.

Now another 30 min of idling with the heat on for test purposes they're working great.

Clearly I'm leaning toward a temp. Issue. Any new findings anyone?

Thanks in advance

Owen
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 02:20 PM   #28
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
Try tapping the wiper motor with a screwdriver handle to see if it reacts.
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 03:43 PM   #29
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

That was my first thought... The old shoty sarter motor trick. Then I looked at all the cowling/wiper cover, realized it was -20°, and said f-it lol. I don't have a garage either so that didn't help the cause lol.

Just wondering if anyone has had the problem. Motor issues? Moisture in the wiring? I do wash the car regularly to prevent salt buildup... But the wiper assembly doesn't appear to be frozen as when one wiper is wiggeled gently, the other reacts as expected.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:28 PM   #30
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstyota View Post
That was my first thought... The old shoty sarter motor trick. Then I looked at all the cowling/wiper cover, realized it was -20°, and said f-it lol. I don't have a garage either so that didn't help the cause lol.

Just wondering if anyone has had the problem. Motor issues? Moisture in the wiring? I do wash the car regularly to prevent salt buildup... But the wiper assembly doesn't appear to be frozen as when one wiper is wiggeled gently, the other reacts as expected.
Next time it happens try just turning the ignition on and turning them on and listening by the cowl to hear any noise from the motor. Also try giving them some gentle help.

The relay for the wipers is located within the base of the wiper stalk, so it too could be not liking the cold.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:48 AM   #31
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Just went to get my morning Timmie's, tried the wipers, didn't go in the driveway. But worked when I got my tea. Just tried the fast setting and no go for a few seconds then they went. Every other speed worked fine.

Gotta love electrical lol.

CTScott, do you know of a test procedure for the signal stalk? What I mean is, can I take a multimeter and look for specific voltages at the stalk?

Thanks in advanve
Old 02-15-2016, 07:43 PM   #32
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstyota View Post
Just went to get my morning Timmie's, tried the wipers, didn't go in the driveway. But worked when I got my tea. Just tried the fast setting and no go for a few seconds then they went. Every other speed worked fine.

Gotta love electrical lol.

CTScott, do you know of a test procedure for the signal stalk? What I mean is, can I take a multimeter and look for specific voltages at the stalk?

Thanks in advanve
On the larger wiper stalk connector:

Black: +12 constant power
White: Switched +12 coming back from the wiper's cam switch
Light Blue: Low speed output (+12 when wipers are in low)
Yellow: High speed output (+12 when wipers are in high)
Old 02-16-2016, 05:50 PM   #33
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Thanks Scott, however the test may have to wait. It has warmed up and isn't supposed to get too cold again for a while. The wipers have been working perfect since yesterday afternoon.

However this issue is bothering me and was considering removing the switch and putting it in the freezer for a bit hahahah.

You are an awesome being Scott.

Thank you so much.
Old 03-11-2016, 06:49 PM   #34
ptitpiffute

myfirstyota,

The issue I had was pretty much the same as what you described. After about 2 years of wipers working and not working, they ended up to stop.
So I checked the motor and it was dead, so changed it and since then, I never had any trouble again.

Just so you know O_-
Old 03-13-2016, 09:12 AM   #35
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptitpiffute View Post
myfirstyota,

The issue I had was pretty much the same as what you described. After about 2 years of wipers working and not working, they ended up to stop.
So I checked the motor and it was dead, so changed it and since then, I never had any trouble again.

Just so you know O_-
Did you ever have any trouble with them in the summer months?

Mine have been going almost perfectly since my last post with the exception of once. There was some hesitation and slow movement when I went for the high speed, but only momentarily. Then they were back up to high speed within 3-4 seconds.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:30 PM   #36
ptitpiffute

In summer, they were working again. That's why it took sometime to fix it. But at one point during winter, the motor finally died for good.

I checked if power was getting to the motor and all was good, so I decided to change it. Since it works like a charm.

Ordered mine from rockauto in the us.

I hope you'll find the problem, we've the same model of Yaris and live almost in the same weather region.