Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-19-2007, 07:06 PM   #1
Yaris Newbie

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Windshield Treatment Problem

Ok, so I got gifted a tube of "Rain Clear" gel by Glass Science and applied it to my windshield as directed. Since I have a pretty heavy prescription (including a prism diopter in them) a clean windshield is super important to me. I had a friend that passed through town that used rain-x on my windshield and I enjoyed it so decieded to try it.

Basically you rub a small amount into your windshield until it disappears (take off any extra with a cloth).

Using my trusty microfibers (after a thorough wash and then extra wash with Automotive Windex) I applied it.

Seemingly perfect from the outside / few feet away. But from the inside it is TERRIBLE. First of all, no matter how many fresh microfibers/applications of windex the haze will not go away. Second, after a trip to town and driving back into the sun I noticed about a thousand pinhead (small) size dots that seem to be embedded in the windshield all over the windshield. Once again, these things are laughing at my windex attempts. It reminds me of my Dad's old truck that he drove to work at a power plant, where the "fly ash" from the plant's smokestacks would put VERY small scratches that you could only see when you drive into the sun and would basically turn the windshield golden/opaque.

Both of these concerns are basically un-noticeable if not driving into the sun but I think I would rather just have a crystal clear windshield and use wipers or MAYBE try rain-x brand instead of all this pain.

What can I do to get back to square one? I haven't tried invisible glass yet but would that do the trick (ie take away the chemicals not just "dirt")?

Thanks
D
Yaris Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 07:09 PM   #2
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Newbie View Post
Ok, so I got gifted a tube of "Rain Clear" gel by Glass Science and applied it to my windshield as directed. Since I have a pretty heavy prescription (including a prism diopter in them) a clean windshield is super important to me. I had a friend that passed through town that used rain-x on my windshield and I enjoyed it so decieded to try it.

Basically you rub a small amount into your windshield until it disappears (take off any extra with a cloth).

Using my trusty microfibers (after a thorough wash and then extra wash with Automotive Windex) I applied it.

Seemingly perfect from the outside / few feet away. But from the inside it is TERRIBLE. First of all, no matter how many fresh microfibers/applications of windex the haze will not go away. Second, after a trip to town and driving back into the sun I noticed about a thousand pinhead (small) size dots that seem to be embedded in the windshield all over the windshield. Once again, these things are laughing at my windex attempts. It reminds me of my Dad's old truck that he drove to work at a power plant, where the "fly ash" from the plant's smokestacks would put VERY small scratches that you could only see when you drive into the sun and would basically turn the windshield golden/opaque.

Both of these concerns are basically un-noticeable if not driving into the sun but I think I would rather just have a crystal clear windshield and use wipers or MAYBE try rain-x brand instead of all this pain.

What can I do to get back to square one? I haven't tried invisible glass yet but would that do the trick (ie take away the chemicals not just "dirt")?

Thanks
D
try buffing it off, with an obital buffer.... I use rain-x on my whole car and do not have that problem on any of my glass
Old 09-19-2007, 07:21 PM   #3
Yaris Newbie

Just read on the Meguiars forums (which I can't seem to get an approved username to make posts, any ideas?) that I could try claying the windshield... comments on this? I don't have any clay lube/detailer at the moment so it will have to wait anyway.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:22 PM   #4
Yaris Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
try buffing it off, with an obital buffer.... I use rain-x on my whole car and do not have that problem on any of my glass
I only do things by hand (to limit the damage I can do (note this situation for example)) but if it comes down to this I might have to invest in one.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:31 PM   #5
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Newbie View Post
Just read on the Meguiars forums (which I can't seem to get an approved username to make posts, any ideas?) that I could try claying the windshield... comments on this? I don't have any clay lube/detailer at the moment so it will have to wait anyway.
that is a good idea... I would try that first b4 the orbital buffer idea of mine
Old 09-20-2007, 08:25 AM   #6
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
New on the forum...Like you I hate the household widow (glass) cleaners. Being a cycle detailer I looked at the uses for several products I have and found that S100 Cleaner and Wax can be safely used on glass. Tried it and it was quick....the glass is cleaner than ever with a nice smooth finish with no streaks. Get at local Harley dealer.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:30 AM   #7
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
I used rain x on one of my trucks and over time it began to have this nasty film that would never come off and it wasnt the good film that helps repel the water. So note to self just buy some good wiper blades because overtime it will begin to cause a film and till the day I sold it the windshield was never the same. The mirrors and side windows were fine.
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 11:56 AM   #8
bladesmith6

Drives: 2007 yaris HB
Pep Boys in my area is starting to sell a product similar to Aquapel, I think it is made by PPG Glass. I tried on the windshield and it is definitely holding up a lot longer than RainX ever did, no bad smears either.
bladesmith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 12:16 PM   #9
YarisTom73
46 and 2, just ahead...

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
I saw an episdoe of Shaetree machanic once, where they had this old car that was totally covered in years of tree crap and environmental garbage. They recommended using a product called "Bon Ami", that feels abrasive to the touch, but they insisted it was safe for glass. They did it, with water and such, and man, it was like crystal! Like a brand new winshield! Just food for thought

Good luck!
Old 09-20-2007, 12:25 PM   #10
bladesmith6

Drives: 2007 yaris HB
yeah I remember that stuff! It's a household cleaner in powder form I think it was supposed to be safe for fine cookware and stuff like that.
bladesmith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 04:41 PM   #11
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
hmmmmmm.......Sounds like it would restore back to normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisTom73 View Post
I saw an episdoe of Shaetree machanic once, where they had this old car that was totally covered in years of tree crap and environmental garbage. They recommended using a product called "Bon Ami", that feels abrasive to the touch, but they insisted it was safe for glass. They did it, with water and such, and man, it was like crystal! Like a brand new winshield! Just food for thought

Good luck!
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 04:45 PM   #12
sherryberry

Drives: 07 Blazing Blue Yaris
Send a message via AIM to sherryberry Send a message via MSN to sherryberry Send a message via Yahoo to sherryberry
I use rain-x and haven't had any issues with the windshield. Worst is the marks on the inside but that's from the suction cup of my GPS unit.

-Said by me during a game of Cranium.
sherryberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 04:30 PM   #13
grampi

Drives: Corolla
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladesmith6 View Post
Pep Boys in my area is starting to sell a product similar to Aquapel, I think it is made by PPG Glass. I tried on the windshield and it is definitely holding up a lot longer than RainX ever did, no bad smears either.
I tried the Aquapel stuff once and didn't do a thing. It didn't bead water at all. Rain-X works much better. The problem with Rain-X is it just doesn't last very long. I have to apply it at least every two weeks. The new stuff by PPG might be worth a try though.
grampi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 03:53 PM   #14
derrick452

Drives: Yaris
I used the PPG stuff that comes in the single use applicator on my Envoy and it worked great. Didnt streak or leave a nasty residue and lasted a good 4 - 5 months. Its worth trying out.
derrick452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:11 PM   #15
WolfWings

Drives: Silver 2007 3Dr - Gryph
Another thought to fully strip the inside of the windshield glass: Grab a bottle of rubbing alchohol and an empty spray-bottle from Wal-Mart. Apply spray bottle sprayer to alchohol bottle (they'll be compatable, might have to trim the hose a bit though), spray inside of windshield, wipe/polish, repeat a couple times. High-concentration alchohol is the all-purpose automotive cleaner I swear by these days, especially since the Yaris service manual lists every single part as being safe to spray with the stuff.

Last edited by WolfWings; 09-27-2007 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Minor typo corrections.
WolfWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:49 AM   #16
PolarWhite

Drives: '07 Polar White Hatchback
Try cleaning the windshield with newspaper and a glass cleaner called Sprayway. It is safe to use on tinted windows as well. You can find it online and our Wal-Mart carries it as well. It has been around for years and years. I have used rain-x and it worked for me as well. I also have switched all my vehicles over to the new Contour wipers. They are made by Anco and some Wal-Marts carry them as well. They are expensive, nearly $20 a piece, but they are the latest technology coming out on all new vehicles. They are awesome. Check them out.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:12 AM   #17
Black Yaris
der Zeck

what size "contour" wipers are you using? since our car takes a 24" and a 14" and no company make a 14" in a contour wiper yet
Old 09-28-2007, 11:22 AM   #18
PolarWhite

Drives: '07 Polar White Hatchback
Actually my Yaris has a 26in and a 14 in. You can figure that you have 40 inches of windshield to cover. Just get two 22in Contours or some variation so you have full coverage with the Contour blades. That is what I have done.