Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-15-2010, 06:32 PM   #19
captaincrunch
Chris

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
*haven't*..I have problems sometimes
captaincrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:50 PM   #20
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Pretty impressive MPG for pizza delivery. That type of driving is usual infamous for yielding the worst results.

I'm boggled when I hear people say they average below 30 mpg. I think if you drove the Yaris pedal to the metal, stop and go, it would be around 30 mpg.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 01:44 AM   #21
CarBob08

Drives: '08 3-Door
I am amazed to hear that some people are getting 45+. I am averaging 35.5mpg over the life, with a low of 29.6mpg and a high of only 40mpg. Even on really long sections of cruise control at moderate speeds, I generally only get about 38mpg. I do drive the manual transmission, so that will reduce the mileage a bit since the final gear ratio is a bit lower, but I see many posts from other manual owners that claim 45+ too. Time to investigate my car.
CarBob08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 04:40 AM   #22
jhsouders
With the help of SGII

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan Manual
UPDATE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsouders View Post

dropped the first bar at 93 miles -- 80% highway -- 20% city -- 46.5mpg -- 70 mph highway
dropped the second at 160 miles -- 80% highway -- 20% city -- 53.6mpg -- 55-60mph highway
dropped the third at 219 miles -- 20% highway -- 80% city -- 47.2mpg -- very careful city driving, slow accelerations
dropped fourth bar at 272 miles -- 0% highway -- 100% city -- 42.4mpg -- half average driving and half careful driving
dropped fifth bar at 322 miles -- 0% highway -- 100% city -- 40.0mpg -- Average driving

all of the mpg readings are of that bar only to give an idea of how each type of driving changed my mpg
i started caring less about the mileage because i was at work, so i was rushed to get things delivered.

more updates to come, ill be sure to post my average over the whole tank.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:42 AM   #23
jhsouders
With the help of SGII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
Pretty impressive MPG for pizza delivery. That type of driving is usual infamous for yielding the worst results.

I'm boggled when I hear people say they average below 30 mpg. I think if you drove the Yaris pedal to the metal, stop and go, it would be around 30 mpg.
Im a fairly calm driver while im delivering the pizzas lol. i realize the better mpg i can get on the job, the more money i make.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:43 AM   #24
jhsouders
With the help of SGII

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarBob08 View Post
I am amazed to hear that some people are getting 45+. I am averaging 35.5mpg over the life, with a low of 29.6mpg and a high of only 40mpg. Even on really long sections of cruise control at moderate speeds, I generally only get about 38mpg. I do drive the manual transmission, so that will reduce the mileage a bit since the final gear ratio is a bit lower, but I see many posts from other manual owners that claim 45+ too. Time to investigate my car.
I have a manual and i can get 50mpg on a short highway trip no problem. look at one of my pasts posts. See if you drive the 55-60mph, maybe you can get it too.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:43 AM   #25
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Did a 200kms run yesterday and had the scangauge average mileage up to 48.5mpg
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 11:17 AM   #26
Kal-El

Quote:
I wouldn't suspect an issue with your car. That's fairly normal but a imagine you are also driving "normally" which means around 75mph on the highway, and some stop and go without trying hard to get great mileage.

35.5 overall is pretty good. Remember EPA estimates are 29/35 (32mpg average). That said, new EPA estimates are quite low.

Oh, and the manual transmission is rated higher at 36 highway. Regardless of the supposed gear ratio difference, the manual is generally more efficient (maybe because it's lighter).
Old 05-16-2010, 01:27 PM   #27
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Drives: 2010 Corolla S
Quote:
CarBob:

Your experience with your car on fuel economy is very similar to mine with my car. See my post where I shared my MPG data for the first full year of ownership. I have kept track of every drop of gas that I put in my Yaris from the first time I filled it up after running out the tank of gas the dealer bought.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27068

The lowest MPG for any fill-up was 29.49, and that is when the nozzle did not automatically shut off. Between the overfill of the tank and what spilled, the pump was probably showing an extra half gallon or more above what it would have otherwise. I did not allow for the extra gas and just used what the pump showed in my calculations. Whatever amount was overfill would have made the next tank's MPG look better, of course, but what was spilled was just lost. That was the only time that MPG checked out under 30.0. My highest MPG was 43.55 on a long trip. The overall average is 36.72. (The average showing in my sig from Gassavers.org is only for the last 90 days. You can click on that icon and go to my actual data at Gassavers.)

I am not unhappy with the fuel economy of my car, even though it is below what many people are posting. I am not willing to go to extreme hyper-miling techniques like many people are.

Tom
YarisOwnersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 02:26 PM   #28
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
speed is huge, and after I got my scangauge and watched the throttle position sensor, I noticed that even driving carefully I was usually wasting gas pointlessly at highway speeds. Once you hit cruising speed, slightly ease up on the gas, reduce the throttle position by one or two points and you usually can maintain the same speed, but your mpg's will go up. Very hard to do without a scanguage tho. Scanguage costs $160ish... but i figure my yearly mpg average is up about 2mpg after I bought mine... so i/m sure it'll pay for itself.... It already paid for itself by diagnosing issues with the fiancee's car.

Last edited by talnlnky; 05-16-2010 at 02:38 PM.
talnlnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 03:07 PM   #29
jhsouders
With the help of SGII

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisOwnersDad View Post
CarBob:

I am not unhappy with the fuel economy of my car, even though it is below what many people are posting. I am not willing to go to extreme hyper-miling techniques like many people are.

Tom
Its not hard to get good fuel economy and not use crazy hypermiling tricks. to get 50mpg on the highway just go 55-60 mph and DFCO down hills or as much as you can when you need to slow down. Then with the TPS just bring it down a notch and your good. not hard to do at all

Oh and i got my scangauge for 120. nice and cheap on ebay, brand new.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:24 PM   #30
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
My average is about 34 MPG because I'm running 205/50 tires on alloy wheels, and I drive kinda fast and all over the place (but I also keep a very close eye on maintenance and will almost always notice if something's wrong and fix it ASAP). I know I brought this onto myself so I got no room to complain. Some of these drivers really should ask themselves if what they're doing is causing bad gas mileage before they whine about it.

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:33 AM   #31
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
32MPG last three tanks with an A/T.
I don't hypermile, I just drive the thing!

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:07 PM   #32
jhsouders
With the help of SGII

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsouders View Post
UPDATE!!!

dropped the first bar at 93 miles -- 80% highway -- 20% city -- 46.5mpg -- 70 mph highway
dropped the second at 160 miles -- 80% highway -- 20% city -- 53.6mpg -- 55-60mph highway
dropped the third at 219 miles -- 20% highway -- 80% city -- 47.2mpg -- very careful city driving, slow accelerations
dropped fourth bar at 272 miles -- 0% highway -- 100% city -- 42.4mpg -- half average driving and half careful driving
dropped fifth bar at 322 miles -- 0% highway -- 100% city -- 40.0mpg -- Average driving

all of the mpg readings are of that bar only to give an idea of how each type of driving changed my mpg
all of the 100% city bars was me delivering pizzas. Hard to maintain great mileage.

more updates to come, ill be sure to post my average over the whole tank.
dropped the sixth bar at 380 miles -- 20% highway -- 80% city -- 46.4mpg --- careful city driving and highway 55-60mph
Old 05-17-2010, 03:17 PM   #33
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer812 View Post
Me too! I only drive 2 miles each way to work and back. My first 2 tanks I babied it. I never accelerated hard or downshifted. I am on my third tank now and have a little harder on it. I will see if it makes a difference. And yes I have it in drive. lol.
I'll be honest. I got fat tires.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:00 PM   #34
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Drives: Black 08 LB MT & red 97 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain View Post
Because they drive on 3
lol! I was sitting here going "wtf? what does that mean?" the first time i read this thread a few days ago and I just now got it lol It's been so long since I drove an auto, I didn't even get it

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure
and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell
CtrlAltDefeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:02 PM   #35
Rain
help! my Yaris shrunk!

Drives: 12 Hot Lava iQ/07 Jade Vios
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDefeat View Post
lol! I was sitting here going "wtf? what does that mean?" the first time i read this thread a few days ago and I just now got it lol It's been so long since I drove an auto, I didn't even get it
a lot of the auto owners have done it and posted about it

The 3 and D are placed weird, it's easy to get confused
Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:38 PM   #36
Kal-El

I can't imagine driving in 3rd on the highway! Imagine those that did it during the break in period. Ouch.