Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-27-2011, 04:41 PM   #1
hatchy

Drives: 2010 3 door hatchback auto
Brand new Yaris, very poor gas mileage

Hello everyone, I just bought a new 2010 Yaris hatchback (40 miles on it) a few weeks ago and am a little dismayed about the gas mileage. I've filled up twice since I bought and have only averaged 27 mpg both times. I drive normally, with a mix of city/highway. I also know it is the middle of winter and sometimes "engine break in" can affect fuel economy. However, in everything I read it seems people are at least getting 30 mpg (regardless of the season or newness of the car).

Should I be concerned enough to take it back to the dealer and possibly get a different one?
hatchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:11 PM   #2
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
I wouldn't be concerned. My winter mileage is in the high 20's/low 30's. Summer mileage between 35 and 40.

Do you warm your car up before hitting the road in the morning? That'll eat into your mileage. It has been widely reported that mileage gets better as the engine breaks in and while I can't claim to have seen much difference myself, I chalk that up to driving in less than favorable high MPG conditions (year round ethanol, high altitude and lots and lots of hills.)
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:21 PM   #3
hatchy

Drives: 2010 3 door hatchback auto
I just filled up to test my third tank of gas. On the last tank I let the car warm up a few mornings before work. This time I'll make sure to not warm it up at all to see if I can get closer to 30 mpg.
hatchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:13 PM   #4
RETRO

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchy View Post
Hello everyone, I just bought a new 2010 Yaris hatchback (40 miles on it) a few weeks ago and am a little dismayed about the gas mileage. I've filled up twice since I bought and have only averaged 27 mpg both times. I drive normally, with a mix of city/highway. I also know it is the middle of winter and sometimes "engine break in" can affect fuel economy. However, in everything I read it seems people are at least getting 30 mpg (regardless of the season or newness of the car).

Should I be concerned enough to take it back to the dealer and possibly get a different one?
Ive owned 7 Toyota's and everyone usually takes about 6-8k miles to balance out on fuel mileage..Also my Yaris HATES winter gas I loose about 3 mpg my wifes corolla very small change and my tacoma looses about 1.5 mpg.You will have very inconsistent fuel mileage for a while.
RETRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:51 PM   #5
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
it's called a break-in period. that's why you shouldnt add any additives or change the oil before the first oil change is required. the only engines that i know of that are broken in at the factory are the ls7 and ls9, the viper rt-10 and srt-10 trucks. BMW m-engines are filled with a break-in oil and must be changed within 1500 miles and cannot be run over 4500 rpm.

once you bust the break-in period you'll notice significant power and mileage gains. and it's relatively quick....within about a 100mile period. it's like the car is a terd and then it's all of a sudden good car.

my car had 475mi on it when i bought it...i drove it for 6-8 tanks and averaged abotu 28mpg. now i'm hitting high 30's all the time with the ac on and doin bout 80 on the freeway. i was rough on it to begin with....breakin it in. hitting decen rpm, high demands, stop n go traffic. and once it broke i toned it down and looked for mileage.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:38 AM   #6
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
I just did some checks on my 07 sedan, and found a 10-15% drop in the C/D; culprit is the snow tires, nothing else changed. This directly correlated to my drop in mileage, something to consider...
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:23 AM   #7
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
4 banger winter mileage sucks (relatively, of course)
Old 01-28-2011, 11:59 AM   #8
attickt

Drives: 2009 toyota yaris S/JDM Vitz
I bought my car in september with 25,400 miles on it and iv'e been getting 30-32 mpg even now in winter I don't notice a difference, but I do run sta-bil in my fuel to control the ethanol wear and tear, as well as to clean the fuel system and keep the fuel fresh.
attickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:32 PM   #9
SpaceShot

Drives: 2008 Yaris 5 speed HB
You might check your tire pressure. I found mine quite low after dealer delivery. Perhaps to make for a smoother ride for test drives.

I certainly noticed a bump up after 5k break-in and again around 50K.
SpaceShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:01 PM   #10
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
I gotta ask, it is a manual or automatic transmission?

There have been several new Yaris owners who have accidentally bumped their shift lever into '3' with the automatic; and since there is no tachometer it's not always noticeable. The only way to tell is by the gear indicator on the dash, or to do what I do which is make sure the shift lever is in the far right position.

Otherwise, my Yaris also suffers from winter gas. I normally get ~35MPG, but lately it’s been down to ~32MPG. Now I see where they want to bump the ethanol content from 10% to 15%, which will only make things worse.

But give it time, most folks report an increase after the first oil change which is at about 5000 miles.

And congrats on the new Yaris!

Cheers! M2
Old 02-06-2011, 02:41 PM   #11
Trubin

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback

I average about 28-31 mpg city and highways, but out here I am stuck in traffic, lights waiting on people and I also warm the car up for about a minute or so. I got a 3door automatic.
Trubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:58 PM   #12
Erick

Drives: Yaris sedan 2008!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
I gotta ask, it is a manual or automatic transmission?

There have been several new Yaris owners who have accidentally bumped their shift lever into '3' with the automatic; and since there is no tachometer it's not always noticeable. The only way to tell is by the gear indicator on the dash, or to do what I do which is make sure the shift lever is in the far right position.
Thats true many ppl on automatic yaris on the highway are using 3, and that forces the engine, so u will expend more gas, if u do this on 80km/hour shift to D and u will notice the difference

P.D. sry for my bad english :P
Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:26 PM   #13
attickt

Drives: 2009 toyota yaris S/JDM Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Thats true many ppl on automatic yaris on the highway are using 3, and that forces the engine, so u will expend more gas, if u do this on 80km/hour shift to D and u will notice the difference

P.D. sry for my bad english :P
when i test drove my yaris i drove it around in 3rd gear XD i didnt notice until i took it home that night that.

yaris+induction= baby supra!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brg88tx View Post
i can just hear the rednecks behind me grumbling "g-damn fag car" before they pass me.
attickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:55 PM   #14
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceShot View Post
You might check your tire pressure. I found mine quite low after dealer delivery. Perhaps to make for a smoother ride for test drives. I certainly noticed a bump up after 5k break-in and again around 50K.
I agree, check the tire pressure. I am certain the dealer has them as low as they can get by to keep the TPMS from going on, so they will have a softer ride.

Also, with all the snow we've had here in Indy since you got your car, I'm sure that could affect mileage also.
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:42 PM   #15
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Low 30s are the norm for our 3 door w/ auto during the lousy days of winter . So many negative impacts .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:26 AM   #16
mupy

Drives: 07 yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubin View Post

I average about 28-31 mpg city and highways, but out here I am stuck in traffic, lights waiting on people and I also warm the car up for about a minute or so. I got a 3door automatic.
yeah, I got average 30 mpg too, mine is a 07 sedan
mupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:10 AM   #17
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Gas mileage sucks in the winter, if you can get 30mpg you are doing good, Long highway drives in the summer will have those mpg figures up in the mid 40's.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:45 AM   #18
cougar65

Drives: 2010 yaris 5door
I'm at 6000 miles in my yaris, and I am averaging 31.2 mpgs mixed city and highway but on my 400 mile trip i got 36.4 and on my other trip trying to be eco and going 55 mph i got 40ish.
cougar65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bad gas mileage