Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-16-2011, 02:46 PM   #1
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
What is highest PSI in tires you have used?

Just curious. I recently increased my tire psi to 50. Made a huge difference on mileage.Has anyone ever gone over 60 psi?

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 04:33 PM   #2
ecc_33

Drives: 2008 toyota yaris
prob not a good idea. I don't think your supposed to go over 44psi and when tires get hot the pressure goes up sooooo
Old 04-17-2011, 01:50 PM   #3
Idahotom

Drives: 2008 5 sp. LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by daf62757 View Post
Just curious. I recently increased my tire psi to 50. Made a huge difference on mileage.Has anyone ever gone over 60 psi?
Increased to 50, from what?? I've been running 44 psi since I got mine, so can't really attest to the gain, though I'm sure it's there. Once in my shop, I can push it around with one finger pretty much, light and low rolling resistance works every time, low tech but effective! I run ALL my equipment at the max psi, as stated on the sidewall (tractor, 22 ton boom truck/crane, and pickup.)
Idahotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:21 PM   #4
Red Horse

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan A/T
my tire can only go up to 65 psi and it does'nt go up any more even I force inflate.

Red Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 02:47 PM   #5
STC
"LibertyRides!"

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3Dr LB | 2020 Stang
42 psi...

Cheers!

Most miles Tank: 538 tank/10.148 gal = 53.015 MPG / Most MPG: 54.95 MPG (ethanol) 425 tank/7.73 gal

"The evils of government are directly proportional to the tolerance of the people." -- Frank Kent
STC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:22 PM   #6
SpaceShot

Drives: 2008 Yaris 5 speed HB
I run max sidewall also, which means 44psi in the all seasons, and 55psi in the snows. (2 different tire brands) Of all the things I have tried, tire pressure and practice have made the biggest MPG gains.
SpaceShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:19 PM   #7
thepartsmancometh

Drives: '08 LB, '07 WRX
just keep it under the sidewall max!! this is generally 44 psi on most all-seasons, but can vary some. I have personally seem the outcome of overinflated tires. Fuel economy (blasphemy time...) is less important than safety. seriously.
thepartsmancometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:19 AM   #8
shinlee

Drives: 07 liftback
I run a solid 40 personally
Old 04-19-2011, 08:08 AM   #9
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
my tires are rated 44, i run 'em at 50...sounds like i drive a kickball on my on highway

my scion however with the goodyear fuel max POS tires, i had to crank them fuckers to 64psi before i broke even with the initial loss of MPG i got with them

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:12 PM   #10
LA Yaris
Yaris323

Drives: 09 Sedan Yaris 06 Ford Mustang
I run a solid 31
LA Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:39 PM   #11
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Horse View Post
my tire can only go up to 65 psi and it does'nt go up any more even I force inflate.

It's probably your compressor...
However
That's very scary if you really do push it like that. We had to watch videos during training at the tire shop I worked for, they showed a tire inflated until it burst, it flew about three stories in the air. Of course that tire/rim was off the car,but it was locked into the tire mounting/dismounting machine. They have a special 6" steel tube cage lag bolted to the concrete for tires that won't seat on the bead... to keep people faces from getting taken off. A tire popping at normal PSI can be dangerous, fill it until it bursts and it's a whole new ballgame.

http://articles.latimes.com/1991-08-..._16-inch-tires
Quote:
l Deaths

Worker Killed When Tire Explodes : Sylmar: The force of the blast hurls the rim through the roof of the shop where the man was employed.
August 13, 1991|LESLIE BERGER | TIMES STAFF WRITER

A welder was killed in Sylmar on Monday when the flame he was applying to a metal tire rim caused an attached tire to explode, fire and police officials said.

The explosion separated the metal rim from the tire with such force that the steel ring decapitated the worker, shot through the roof of the welding shop and landed outside on San Fernando Road, authorities said. No other injuries were reported.
http://www.mass.gov/Eeohhs2/docs/dph...e_fact_rim.pdf

http://www.torch.aetc.af.mil/news/st...p?id=123209509

it goes on and on and on...
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:01 PM   #12
Idahotom

Drives: 2008 5 sp. LB
Though I believe running my tires at 44 psi is no big deal, I do agree that at some point it can get spooky, at least the big truck tires. I have a part time employee who's father got hit by a split rim at a truck tire shop, put him in a coma for 25 years, THEN he died.
Idahotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:23 AM   #13
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
I normally run mine at 60 psi all year but I've had as much as 65 in them.

65 is not even remotely approaching the pressure it would take to cause a rupture.

I don't find the ride at 60 to be appreciably worse than at 44 and the car handles like its on rails. Someone posted a law enforcement article recently about upping pressures for performance. Showed a Ford Ranger on 2 wheels with 100 psi in the tires. Bet that rode stiff-especially when they set her down!

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:10 AM   #14
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I normally run mine at 60 psi all year but I've had as much as 65 in them.

65 is not even remotely approaching the pressure it would take to cause a rupture.

I don't find the ride at 60 to be appreciably worse than at 44 and the car handles like its on rails. Someone posted a law enforcement article recently about upping pressures for performance. Showed a Ford Ranger on 2 wheels with 100 psi in the tires. Bet that rode stiff-especially when they set her down!

R2
Really? At 65 on a hot day you're more like 70/75...it's a fools game, but feel free to play until it kills you(or somebody else) because it's worth it right? There's not a sane person around who will recommend you run 44 psi tires in the 60/70/80's. Yes, some people push that limit(race drivers) but they are not driving that car 24/7/365 hitting potholes and whatnot.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes...that's all I'm saying friend.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:58 AM   #15
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazilla View Post
Really? At 65 on a hot day you're more like 70/75...it's a fools game, but feel free to play until it kills you(or somebody else) because it's worth it right? There's not a sane person around who will recommend you run 44 psi tires in the 60/70/80's. Yes, some people push that limit(race drivers) but they are not driving that car 24/7/365 hitting potholes and whatnot.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes...that's all I'm saying friend.
I am starting to think that pushing the 50's level isn't that stupid. With gas going up, the real issue is wear vs cost. I have been driving on 50 psi for over a year on my OEM tires and I still have a lot of tread wear left, get great gas mileage, and the handling is about the same as when I drove my Yaris off the dealer's lot.

I see this as an economic issue not a safety issue. If I can get more mileage and save money at the pump, the cost of new tires will only be more if they offset the fuel costs I don't have to buy.

And since I already have 50k miles on my OEM tires and probably will get another 20k more, I am riding on free tires and if I can save even more on gas by increased tire pressure, its not dumb. Its money smart.

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:09 PM   #16
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
The highest I've gone is 44psi, and regularly ride with 42.5psi on all four tires. I'm trying to get my nerve up for a 50psi run, but thus far have always backed down. My ultimate goal is to be as cool as R2D2 and run those bad boys at 60psi, but I just don't know if I have what it takes.....
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:51 PM   #17
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
i did stop for a moment before i pumped up my scions tires to 63-64psi...but then did it & they were fine...just rode like wooden wagon wheels

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:10 PM   #18
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by daf62757 View Post
I am starting to think that pushing the 50's level isn't that stupid. With gas going up, the real issue is wear vs cost. I have been driving on 50 psi for over a year on my OEM tires and I still have a lot of tread wear left, get great gas mileage, and the handling is about the same as when I drove my Yaris off the dealer's lot.

I see this as an economic issue not a safety issue. If I can get more mileage and save money at the pump, the cost of new tires will only be more if they offset the fuel costs I don't have to buy.

And since I already have 50k miles on my OEM tires and probably will get another 20k more, I am riding on free tires and if I can save even more on gas by increased tire pressure, its not dumb. Its money smart.

The money you save over the life of your 100 dollar tires might just cover your deductible, but will it cover the potential lives lost?

Now, at 50lbs I really doubt you'll have an issue...but that's where it starts, it ends upside-down on the freeway after you've gotten complacent with Your "experiments" and normally I'd say it's your life, do with it as you please...but when it comes to driving you have to consider the lives of the people around you, that's what's really at stake here.

It's not money smart, it's selfish.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/news/4199963

Quote:
We’ve heard folks claim mileage gains by running their tire pressure above the manufacturer’s recommendations. In theory, that makes sense: With more inflation pressure, the tire bulges in the center of the tread and creates a smaller, skinnier contact patch with the road. This should mean less rolling resistance and increased mileage.

What’s more, we know under-inflated tires have a negative effect on fuel economy. The U.S. Department of Energy says that for every 1-psi drop in pressure, you can expect your gas mileage to lower by 0.4 percent.

If under-inflated tires drop your fuel economy, then over-inflated tires must give that mileage a boost—right?

We decided to find out. So, after saying goodbye to half our test car fleet, we took our long-term Honda Fit on an 800-mile road trip from Los Angeles to Phoenix and back again—setting our cruise control to 70 mph except for dips down to 65 mph in central Phoenix and downtown L.A.

The door placard on the Honda recommends 32 psi in all four tires. The sidewall says the maximum pressure for the tires is 50 psi. So for the trip to Arizona, we inflated the tires to 45 psi. We figured 5 psi under that maximum inflation pressure would reduce drag enough to boost our mileage by some measurable amount. Before reaching Phoenix’s West Valley, we were able to travel 394.1 miles, then filled up in Glendale with 9.34 gallons and recorded 42.19 mpg. That’s the best mileage we’ve recorded so far in this car.

Two days later, we dropped the pressure back down to the recommended 32 psi and pointed the Fit’s nose home toward L.A. This time, over the exact same route, at the same speeds, the Fit went 411.3 miles. At the Chevron station in Santa Monica, our Fit drank 9.76 gallons, translating into 42.14 mpg—nearly the exact same mileage.

To invoke the MythBusters, we’d now consider the myth of increased fuel economy from over-inflated tires officially busted. So why didn’t the harder tires with less drag result in better mileage? Well, you’ve got to figure that, at 70 mph or so, the aerodynamic drag of the car’s body is probably outweighing the small improvements the tires gave us.

And we wouldn’t recommend anyone try this one at home either. The vehicle’s handling is compromised when the tires are over-inflated. At 45 psi, the ride was brittle. In fact, the tires were so stiff they nearly vibrated our garage-door opener right off the sun visor.