Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-25-2013, 07:34 AM   #1
DevilGirl

Drives: 09 3dr LB MT
light not working on heat control

I tried searching for an answer to this question, but could not find one (unless I'm using the wrong search terms...).

Just recently I noticed that one of my heat control knobs no longer lights up. I have a 2009 hatchback, so my control knobs are vertical. It's the bottom one that controls the temp setting.

Any idea on how to fix this so it lights up again? It wouldn't be such a problem other than the fact that when I drive to and from work, it's always dark out (4:30am leave home, and back in my car for the drive home anywhere between 5:30pm and 7:00pm).

Car bought 8/7/09. Now over 89k miles of trouble free driving, other than user error!!
DevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:17 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
There is a tiny bulb on the back of the knob assembly. You remove the two vertical trim pieces, pull off the AC control panel, and then gain access to the back of the knob. A small flat blade screwdriver can then be used to remove the bulb (which is mounted in a recess in the center of the back of the knob).
Old 01-25-2013, 12:42 PM   #3
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
Or, I had same issue. CD player wiring was shorting out the fuse for the climate controls. Replaced fuse and tidied up wiring and it all works now.
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:08 PM   #4
DevilGirl

Drives: 09 3dr LB MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33OH View Post
Or, I had same issue. CD player wiring was shorting out the fuse for the climate controls. Replaced fuse and tidied up wiring and it all works now.
Randomly it started working again without me getting a change to "fix" it. It's actually stopped working again.

As for your suggestion of the fuse, if that were the case, wouldn't all the lights not work for the climate controls? In my case, only the 1 didn't work.

Car bought 8/7/09. Now over 89k miles of trouble free driving, other than user error!!
DevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:46 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilGirl View Post
Randomly it started working again without me getting a change to "fix" it. It's actually stopped working again.

As for your suggestion of the fuse, if that were the case, wouldn't all the lights not work for the climate controls? In my case, only the 1 didn't work.
That is correct. With yours only having the issue with one of the lights it is more likely a loose connection. Or, the going back to working for a bit may have been a case where the bulbs filament opened (when it stopped working) and then at some point the loose filament flopped into the correct position to temporarily start working again. With the tiny "grain of rice" type bulbs that can actually happen.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:12 PM   #6
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilGirl View Post

Same thing happened to me earlier this month (see my post on the Control Arm Bolt thread from a few minutes ago), except that mine 'stayed back on'. My first thought = exactly what CTScott is saying..loose connection.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote