Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-30-2018, 01:15 PM   #1
miiser

Drives: yaris 2009
Rear speakers perform poorly

(Toyota Yaris 2009 HB)

Hi guys,
After a long time without rear speakers from the factory, I finally pulled the trigger and I went to a professional store to install wiring harness for the rear doors (because from factory I had no speaker wires inside the rear doors) and they also connected a pair of speakers I had already bought. Now I know that this was a relative easy job and I could have done it by myself but they only asked only for 20€ for this, so I chose to let them do it.

Anyway, the problem is that the rear speakers perform really poorly compared to the fronts. Low volume, low bass, low quality of sound. It’s like they are not even there...

Keep in mind that the speakers in the front and in the rear are the same with same ohms, rms etc. they are stock vw group speakers. I found them really cheap and I like the way they sound, they are a huge upgrade from the factory Toyota’s pair, plus because they are stock speakers they don’t need serious power and my stock headunit can keep up with them.

Do you have any idea why this is happening ?
I know from fact that the speakers are good and not faulty. Also the balance front-rear settings on the stock headunit are correct.
(Fujitsu ten stock headunit)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
miiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 01:45 PM   #2
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Perhaps they are hooked up out of phase. Try reversing the + and - wires and see if they sound better.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 03:46 PM   #3
miiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
Perhaps they are hooked up out of phase. Try reversing the + and - wires and see if they sound better.

Even with reversed polarity the speakers should perform somewhere decent. They will produce reversed bass but they should perform. In my case the speakers don’t perform. They are really underpowered. I have to turn up the volume to 30-40 to even hear a whistle from the back.

Last edited by miiser; 07-01-2018 at 05:18 AM.
Old 07-01-2018, 05:36 PM   #4
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Maybe try some speaker gasket/tape to isolate the rear from the front?
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 06:34 AM   #5
miiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Maybe try some speaker gasket/tape to isolate the rear from the front?

What do you mean ??

Old 07-02-2018, 08:32 AM   #6
Fluxtasy
feed my pet

Drives: Yaris Sedan '10
My car did come with the Toyota single din OEM Fujitsu headunit and was thinking to upgrade the speakers too. The audio guys adviced me to upgrade the headunit first as the power output of the OEM unit isn't very good and to upgrade the speakers later if I'm still not satisfied. Just by switching to a single din Kenwood has improved the sound quality even with stock speakers.
Fluxtasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 11:28 AM   #7
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluxtasy View Post
My car did come with the Toyota single din OEM Fujitsu headunit and was thinking to upgrade the speakers too. The audio guys adviced me to upgrade the headunit first as the power output of the OEM unit isn't very good and to upgrade the speakers later if I'm still not satisfied. Just by switching to a single din Kenwood has improved the sound quality even with stock speakers.
+1

This was my recommendation originally.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 01:12 PM   #8
miiser

Quote:

I agree with you that’s why I am planning to change the headunit soon.
But the speakers I have right now does not require more output than the factory speakers I had before. And my problem is really weird because only the rear speakers are weak. The fronts are totally fine. If it was an output issue I guess that the front speakers would perform bad too.
And even if I change the balance and choose only the rear speakers to send the power, they still perform bad.

Please Correct me if I am wrong

(Btw I looking to buy the pioneer fh-x730bt or the jvc kw-db93bt as a replacement. If someone of you has experience with one of those let me know your opinions.)

Last edited by miiser; 07-02-2018 at 01:23 PM.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:46 AM   #9
vivalaflam
Enthusiast

Drives: 07 Yaris HB 1.3 (EU)
Quote:
Originally Posted by miiser View Post
I agree with you that’s why I am planning to change the headunit soon.
But the speakers I have right now does not require more output than the factory speakers I had before. And my problem is really weird because only the rear speakers are weak. The fronts are totally fine. If it was an output issue I guess that the front speakers would perform bad too.
And even if I change the balance and choose only the rear speakers to send the power, they still perform bad.

Please Correct me if I am wrong

(Btw I looking to buy the pioneer fh-x730bt or the jvc kw-db93bt as a replacement. If someone of you has experience with one of those let me know your opinions.)

If you want, I have the 1DIN install kit available, in case you want it fast, since we live close to each other.
Have you tried checking the balance from the headunit? Adjust it to 0, maybe it's at F5. (Front lvl 5). If it's already at 0, try adjusting it to R3 or R4 just to balance out all speakers. Another problem might be that they hooked up the rear speakers in the same output from the back of the unit (either parallel or in series to the front speakers). Check this as well. Make sure the new wiring hooks up to the rear output on the back of the headunit. Cheers
Old 07-03-2018, 05:15 PM   #10
miiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivalaflam View Post
If you want, I have the 1DIN install kit available, in case you want it fast, since we live close to each other.

Have you tried checking the balance from the headunit? Adjust it to 0, maybe it's at F5. (Front lvl 5). If it's already at 0, try adjusting it to R3 or R4 just to balance out all speakers. Another problem might be that they hooked up the rear speakers in the same output from the back of the unit (either parallel or in series to the front speakers). Check this as well. Make sure the new wiring hooks up to the rear output on the back of the headunit. Cheers

As I wrote before the balance is set right.
Also the wiring is right too. The rear speakers are plugged to the rear wire hardness and the front speakers to their front wiring harness. As it came from the factory. No parallel or anything else.

The thing is that no matter what I try, no matter what settings I choose the rear speakers are underpowered. I only hear whistles.
My best guess is that the headunit is toast and it can’t spread the power output evenly...

I will let you know if I need something from the dash kit.

Old 07-04-2018, 11:22 AM   #11
Fluxtasy
feed my pet

Drives: Yaris Sedan '10
With the Fujitsu headunit, for tunes there was hardly any bass or treble coming out of my rear speakers but for DJ/singing voice was fine. This made me thought that the speakers were junk. I think the Fujitsu headunit limits the frequency range to the rear so that is why you are getting poor quality sound too.

Could be that the rear speakers are just supposed to be 1 way and not 2 or 3 way speakers set up?

Last edited by Fluxtasy; 07-04-2018 at 11:35 AM.
Fluxtasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 04:09 PM   #12
miiser

Quote:
With the Fujitsu headunit, for tunes there was hardly any bass or treble coming out of my rear speakers but for DJ/singing voice was fine. This made me thought that the speakers were junk. I think the Fujitsu headunit limits the frequency range to the rear so that is why you are getting poor quality sound too.

Could be that the rear speakers are just supposed to be 1 way and not 2 or 3 way speakers set up?

I don’t know what it’s supposed to be, but if you confirm the same issue with your rears then this HU is lower quality than “basic”.
I had many issues over the years, like it’s random erasing the saved stations from the memory, the cd does not come out once it’s in, the volume knob is problematic... and now this. Can’t wait to get my hands over a new aftermarket headunit. The only thing that slows me down is that I need dashkit + steering wheel adapter. And it gets expensive.

Old 07-04-2018, 06:19 PM   #13
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by miiser View Post
What do you mean ??

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_237XT5...3-4-depth.html

It's either that, or those VW speakers have built in cross overs and are only playing higher frequencies.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:22 AM   #14
miiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_237XT5...3-4-depth.html

It's either that, or those VW speakers have built in cross overs and are only playing higher frequencies.

When I plugged these speakers to my home theater because I wanted to check that the wiring conversion from vw wiring method to universal, they performed exactly how they should. But in the car they are really weak.
I do think that the original tweeters may plug directly to the speakers.
These are the speakers btw.

Old 07-07-2018, 04:02 PM   #15
Kaotic Lazagna

hmmmm, then it might just be your HU? However, I remember the stock Fujitsu Ten in my sedan being able to play full range in the rear speakers, even though that HU sucked in many other ways.
Old 07-07-2018, 07:01 PM   #16
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
FujitsuTen HU are 2ohm stable. AFIAK, other Toyota cars that use the same HU, and 6 speakers, the tweeters are wired in parallel with the front speakers.

If you've tested everything, I guess it's time to check for a new HU. I've always been told that running an amp without load is bad, not sure how true that is, but I take the habit to change the fader to 100% front when there are no rear speakers.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-08-2018, 03:06 AM   #17
miiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
FujitsuTen HU are 2ohm stable. AFIAK, other Toyota cars that use the same HU, and 6 speakers, the tweeters are wired in parallel with the front speakers.

If you've tested everything, I guess it's time to check for a new HU. I've always been told that running an amp without load is bad, not sure how true that is, but I take the habit to change the fader to 100% front when there are no rear speakers.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I am pretty sure that the front tweeters are in fact wired in parallel with the speakers.
My best guess is that the HU is bad.
The funny thing with my fade settings is that even if I put it in R7 ( the maximum setting for the rear speakers) the rear speakers are still underpowered. And If I put it on R5 (so the fronts go to +2) the front speakers produce maximum power like the faded balance is at 0.
I don’t know if I explain it correctly. All I am trying to say is that even the fader has malfunction