Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-18-2011, 04:12 PM   #19
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby
Banned

Drives: yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by YanMinor View Post
No, there is no line on the underside of the hood, at all.

Is it typical that I would need a radiator fluid top-up this soon? My car is a 2007, and barely has 31k on it, so it seems a little early....
it is early for this to happen

keep an eye on it. something leaks

Last edited by A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby; 10-18-2011 at 05:10 PM.
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:21 PM   #20
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby View Post
it is early for this to happen

keep an eye on it
+1
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:32 PM   #21
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Out of curiosity, when you were doing the purge/fill last night, did you actually see the fan run?
Old 10-18-2011, 05:01 PM   #22
YanMinor

Drives: 2007 Meteorite Hatch
No, the fan never came on. I was on a document posted by etimago that said after about 10 minutes of running, the fan should start, but it never did. My initial thought was that it I just didn't wait long enough (it was pretty cold here last night, 40F). I will leave the car on after I get home tonight to see if the fan is running.

Diagnostically, what would this mean?
YanMinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:12 PM   #23
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby
Banned

if the fan never runs, it could mean a temp sensor is bad, and it is
allowing the system to overheat and boil off some fluid
Old 10-18-2011, 05:26 PM   #24
CTScott
ULTIMATE

It can take quite a while to get hot enough to cycle the fan. Turning on the AC will expedite it, as the AC ECU commands the fan to run when the AC is on. That will verify that the fan works (i.e. is not bad, or has a bad fuse or relay), but it would be good to also warm it up enough to verify that the coolant temp sensor is working. A quick drive and then let it sit running helps that as well.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:33 PM   #25
YanMinor

Interesting. The document I was reading indicated that I should have the heater on when flushing.

Also, wouldn't the boiled off fluid run into the overflow tank? Why would it be sprayed all over those hoses in the image?
Old 10-18-2011, 06:08 PM   #26
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby
Banned

Quote:
Interesting. The document I was reading indicated that I should have the heater on when flushing.

Also, wouldn't the boiled off fluid run into the overflow tank? Why would it be sprayed all over those hoses in the image?
overflow only handles normal ebb and flow of daily ops

if it boils it will purge out of the tank
Old 10-18-2011, 06:45 PM   #27
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
When I changed out mine due to pump failure I refilled according to service manual and mainted the constant revs until the engine heated enough to cycle the fan. Normal running temp for me is at 182-4. Fan came on at 202 along with the overheat warning light. Just for info.

Glad you got it sorted out.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:04 PM   #28
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:

Having the heater on for flushing really doesn't do anything, since the fluid always flows though the heater, regardless of the air mix knob position.

During overheating it actually helps to run the heat on full blast, since it then acts as a secondary radiator.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:03 PM   #29
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Thanks for the info CT.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:34 AM   #30
YanMinor

Sorry to bring up ancient history here! First off, I wanted to say thanks to everyone for all of the help last year. Winter is coming, and I'm having the same problem again; it's like deja vu.

I thought the radiator top-off fixed the problem, but I'm certain that I shouldn't have to do this yearly.... The fan still doesn't come on when I run it for several minutes, and I think that it may be problem with the thermostat or the water pump. Does either one sound more likely than the other? Are their corresponding fixes DIYable?

Thanks again for the help ahead of time!
Old 09-27-2012, 06:57 AM   #31
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Sorry to bring up ancient history here! First off, I wanted to say thanks to everyone for all of the help last year. Winter is coming, and I'm having the same problem again; it's like deja vu.

I thought the radiator top-off fixed the problem, but I'm certain that I shouldn't have to do this yearly.... The fan still doesn't come on when I run it for several minutes, and I think that it may be problem with the thermostat or the water pump. Does either one sound more likely than the other? Are their corresponding fixes DIYable?

Thanks again for the help ahead of time!

The temp sensor for the fan is mounted to the radiator, so if the pump was not working or if the thermostat was not opening the flow through the radiator would be significantly reduced, delaying the fan from running.

If you start the car with the radiator cap off and run it for a while (holding the engine at 2000-3000 RPM for a minute will get it warm quicker). When the thermostat opens you will see the coolant flowing by, with the cap removed.

Also, once the car is warmed up, if you turn the A/C on the fan will immediately run to verify that the fan is working.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:16 AM   #32
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
1/2 and 1/2 is about right if you have radiator fluid on hand. If not, straight water is better than air for now. Ideally you use a hygrometer to measure the specific gravity of your fluid and adjust the mix based on your low and high temps.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:27 PM   #33
Eli Lilly

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
!
I'd guess the thermostat before the water pump. Water pumps usually leak as their failure mode, the only way they quit pumping without having eaten the serpentine belt would be for the vanes to get eaten away, which is very, very, very uncommon with modern engine coolant.

-E
Eli Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:46 AM   #34
Denzel_m

Drives: Blue Yaris Sedan (2007)
Quote:
Thanks everyone! When I looked this morning, the coolant level was below the low-line. I'm definitely going to check everything else when I get off today. Thanks again for the help!
Mine is half empty/full but I've got the same problem. Can anyone help?
Denzel_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:00 PM   #35
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denzel_m View Post
Mine is half empty/full but I've got the same problem. Can anyone help?
Check my post #31 above and try that to see if the thermostat is actually opening.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:36 AM   #36
Denzel_m

Drives: Blue Yaris Sedan (2007)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Check my post #31 above and try that to see if the thermostat is actually opening.
Thanks, I did that. The fan turned on. But when I put the tip of my finger in the coolant it was warm with in minutes. Is that good?
Denzel_m is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coolant, heater, overheating, radiator, thermometer